Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interest Rates, where will they stop?

Hey Longreach, Mr debt peddler.

Don't you think that if someone can't afford a mortgage the 'conventional' way, that is, pay off principal and interest then perhaps they shouldn't be in the market for a home loan at all? It's crap loan ideas like these that got the US into a mess, you know, NINJAS, sub prime, Alt A's, Option Arms.

Anyhow, here's some food for thought, 13% of non conforming mortages are now 30+ days behind in repayments in Aus. This was at the end of Dec 09 and there's been several rate increases since then. Conforming loans are loc doc loans, you know, Australia's own little sub prime market.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225871961204
Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the market has slowed right down due to the interest rate rises;

http://www.news.com.au/business/brea...-1225877404347

Incidentally, we had an 'offsetting' or 'Current account' mortgage in the UK from 1994 onwards. The first one we had was from 'Mortgage Trust' I think, but before we left, we had moved to The Woolwich. Hardly a new invention.

If you are disciplined, they are a great idea. We always paid our repayment as well as our interest -you could chose to be interest only.

At one point we had credit card companies offering us thousands in interest free loans for say 6 months at a time. We would take a cash advance from these cards at say a 1% fee and offset it against our mortgage at say 5%, thus getting 4% gross untaxed income on the borrowed sum. We obviously paid the cash advance back at the point it became interest charging.

I doubt you would be able to do this at the moment, but it was fun while it lasted!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Anyhow, here's some food for thought, 13% of non conforming mortages are now 30+ days behind in repayments in Aus. This was at the end of Dec 09 and there's been several rate increases since then. Conforming loans are loc doc loans, you know, Australia's own little sub prime market.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225871961204
I am surprised it is as low as 13%. These are after all, often the loans that the main banks tend to avoid due to risk.

Non Performing House Loans

Australia and Canada are the lines running along the bottom

An interesting question is what % of the total do the non-conforming loans make up.

Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am surprised it is as low as 13%. These are after all, often the loans that the main banks tend to avoid due to risk.

Non Performing House Loans

Australia and Canada are the lines running along the bottom

http://www.rba.gov.au/speeches/2010/...aph5-small.gif
Australia and Canada are simply the end of the curve, i.e. the bubbles yet to burst IMHO

Nice work on finding the charts BTW
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by longreach
1. No. It's similar to an offset but more effective as I explained. An offset still requires a traditional mortgage account.
Mechanics. All mortgages - well the ones we are talking about still require repayment. Well otherwise, the line of credit starts to rise....and then blows...

We were offered 2 options - 1) offset - ie. 2 accounts, or 2) the all in one too.

Maybe I am a lazy f**ck but after using my offset for 2 months and wacking 10k in it one month - the largest income I had at the time, the interest we saved was so disappointing that I never bothered with all the gamesmanship...(!) and just went back to the traditional model.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:49 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Looks like interest rates will be increasing in August again (by 25pts). Inflation is creeping up...

The strategist adds that such a figure would be a "key tipping point for the RBA to upwardly adjust the cash rate by 25 basis points to 4.75 per cent, perhaps as soon as August".
Inflation risks building
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:45 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Interest rates might actually go up this month, regardless of the RBA...

"DETERIORATING funding conditions for Australia's banks will likely prompt rate hikes independent of any RBA move, a senior banker says."
Banks under pressure to raise interest rates independent of RBA hikes