Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Inner city sydney property market

Inner city sydney property market

Old Jul 8th 2014, 2:12 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inner city sydney property market

Originally Posted by paulry
I bet you're glad you bought when you did
my god! i bought it at $430k last year, now a smaller property nearby is selling at least $490k!

and now i could not find anything below$500k on domain!
Old Jul 8th 2014, 2:17 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
my god! i bought it at $430k last year, now a similar property nearby is selling at least $490k!
And I remember everyone um-ing an ah-ing about the wisdom of buying back then.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
I'm reckoning the return on purchase price alone is less than 3% so it amazes me people are still buying.
Well house prices will increase of course, but I also wonder how many foreigners are just buying to have a house in Australia as a safe haven and possibly with a eye to the future. Where I live there are loads of houses bought by the Chinese and just left vacant for years
Old Jul 9th 2014, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Well house prices will increase of course, but I also wonder how many foreigners are just buying to have a house in Australia as a safe haven and possibly with a eye to the future. Where I live there are loads of houses bought by the Chinese and just left vacant for years
Very few according to a stat I saw. 2% or something.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Balmain and have seen sale rices go up 15 to 20% in the last year (e.g. A one bed house on the peninsular that was bought at the beginning of 2013 for $615k has recently sold for $815k with no major Reno work) but rentals are at most about 10% higher than when we rented nearly 6 years ago. I have noticed that many of the properties that are sold are offered for rent shortly after and can take a while to be let, I'm reckoning the return on purchase price alone is less than 3% so it amazes me people are still buying.
I think you have to make a choice. Either buy to occupy or buy to invest. If you buy to invest, you can negatively gear it making up the difference on yur investment. But buying a house is usually seen as an investment regardless if you live in it or not. That's what has put me off buying. It's too risky. Who knows if this bubble will burst but what if the same was to happen as what happened in Ireland where prices were just cut in half? A $800k house suddenly becomes your property for life.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 3:52 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I think you have to make a choice. Either buy to occupy or buy to invest. If you buy to invest, you can negatively gear it making up the difference on yur investment. But buying a house is usually seen as an investment regardless if you live in it or not. That's what has put me off buying. It's too risky. Who knows if this bubble will burst but what if the same was to happen as what happened in Ireland where prices were just cut in half? A $800k house suddenly becomes your property for life.

But it may not. Ever since I arrived people have been predicting the mother of all property crashes, but it never seems to arrive. Lots of people decided to wait in anticipation, and now find they have left it to late as they don't meet the lending/deposit requirements. Even the GFC only really saw a plateauing of prices in the Inner West (I can't comment on other areas).

If you are sure that you want to stay here, and have found somewhere you really like, then waiting for prices to fall may also be a risky strategy.

S
Old Jul 9th 2014, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
But it may not. Ever since I arrived people have been predicting the mother of all property crashes, but it never seems to arrive. Lots of people decided to wait in anticipation, and now find they have left it to late as they don't meet the lending/deposit requirements. Even the GFC only really saw a plateauing of prices in the Inner West (I can't comment on other areas).

If you are sure that you want to stay here, and have found somewhere you really like, then waiting for prices to fall may also be a risky strategy.

S
I agree and it's only my own lack of faith in the property market that's stopping me. I'm certainly not waiting for government assistance to get me there. But, I just don't think I could buy a property responsibly. A 20% deposit for a loan likely to get close to a million all in is a bit overwhelming. House are just not worth it. I've ruled out buying an apartment as I don't know what you own when you buy one. Other than the strata fees and other bullshit.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to make a choice. Either buy to occupy or buy to invest.
Or rent a property that would cost me double the rent to pay in mortgage repayments, all of which would be interest. This way half the mortgage amount is wasted, not the full, and I get to live in a great pad I wouldn't be willing to pay off.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:35 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reckoning the return on purchase price alone is less than 3% so it amazes me people are still buying.
Remember, 80-90% of the purchase price is funded by the bank. so if you consider the return on your deposit, it could be high.

I calculated it could be more than 10% net return on your initial investment (ie your 10-20% deposit), after tax, if you play it right!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

We rent ours at 1350 a week. Bought it for $1.7m 3 years ago. We prop up the mortgage by 1,500 a month and have major land, tax so it is a bit of a money pit. However, we needed to keep in the market for when we move back. That is our driver but it is just so bloody expensive and needs a lot of love.

Compared to the UK where a 70% mortgage means that rent easily covers the payments. We have a 50% in aus and still top up majorly.

Interest rates are of extreme interest to me.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by al dente
We rent ours at 1350 a week. Bought it for $1.7m 3 years ago. We prop up the mortgage by 1,500 a month and have major land, tax so it is a bit of a money pit. However, we needed to keep in the market for when we move back. That is our driver but it is just so bloody expensive and needs a lot of love.

Compared to the UK where a 70% mortgage means that rent easily covers the payments. We have a 50% in aus and still top up majorly.

Interest rates are of extreme interest to me.
... and that's why there a fewer foreign investors than people think. Nothing to negative gear against. If I didn't live in oz and was interested in property, Oz would be the last place I'd invest. Negative gearing means the difference between mortgage and rent is too far. Oz is a renters dream.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isn't it illegal for non residents to buy housing property in Australia? It does happen and I'd imagine most of it doesn't get caught. Buying to invest is primarily done in existing builds of apartment blocks which is probably more attractive to negatively gear against. If there were more housing estates, there would be more affordable housing. These wod obviously be further out of the city but transport would make it's way in.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Isn't it illegal for non residents to buy housing property in Australia? It does happen and I'd imagine most of it doesn't get caught. Buying to invest is primarily done in existing builds of apartment blocks which is probably more attractive to negatively gear against. If there were more housing estates, there would be more affordable housing. These wod obviously be further out of the city but transport would make it's way in.
I don't believe it is illegal for non residents to buy. But I could be corrected.

I think for most non residents they are not able to take advantage of negative gearing as they are unlikely to have any other forms of earnings in Oz. Therefore it makes it a bad investment.

Though some Chinese are just buying an leaving it idle.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 3:36 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I don't believe it is illegal for non residents to buy. But I could be corrected.

I think for most non residents they are not able to take advantage of negative gearing as they are unlikely to have any other forms of earnings in Oz. Therefore it makes it a bad investment.

Though some Chinese are just buying an leaving it idle.

I think they have to seek approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board before they can buy. I don't know what the criteria are, however I understand that at the moment this is largely just a rubber stamp and is pretty much always given.

S
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:46 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Beoz
... and that's why there a fewer foreign investors than people think. Nothing to negative gear against. If I didn't live in oz and was interested in property, Oz would be the last place I'd invest. Negative gearing means the difference between mortgage and rent is too far. Oz is a renters dream.

Looks like Moody's estimate that negative gearing contributes to 9% of the current value of housing.

Negative gearing pumps house prices

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.