Reload this Page >

Info about Perth

Info about Perth

Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Diane1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Info about Perth

Hello All,

My name is Diane. I am a nurse hoping to relocate to the perth area in July/August. I have a husband, 2 kids (14 and 12) and a dog.

Can anyone give me advice on where to live and/or the best schools in the area. I have been looking at ocean reef, Clarkson and Quinns Rocks.

Does anyone know what it will roughly cost to bring my dog over?

My husband is a wood machinist. Will he be able to find work in the area and what can he expect to earn?

We are all very excited and are looking forward to making australia our new home.

Hoping to hear from someone soon

Diane
Old Feb 28th 2005, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

angela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Info about Perth

Ocean reef is nice and nice schools.

Clarksons not supposed to be very nice. Drove through it and didn't appeal.

Don't know about quinns rock.

Loads of stuff about Perth and its suburbs on this form so would do a search and you'll have more information than you'll know what to do with!
Old Feb 28th 2005, 11:49 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Clarkson is rough, Ocean Reef is a nice suburb but the schools aren't that good.

Quinns is quite far north but does have Quinns Baptist College which is supposed to be OK but like all private schools in the Northern suburbs, unless you get your kids on the waiting list early you're not going to get in unless you're really lucky. Might be different with Quinns though.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Mercury Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Bit of a blanket statement there Renth "Clarkson is rough". Clarkson is actually improving rapidly, whilst there are some unkempt houses & verges there are also some lovely ones, to be snapped up at reasonable prices. It's near shops & the newly opened station yet only a 5 minute drive to the beach. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but to describe it as rough is unfair. Compared to areas you'd really call rough in the UK, it's fine and could prove to be a good investment.

Quinns is a real mix of old & new, some areas I'd live in, others I'd avoid. It's catchment high school is Clarkson, which I think you should visit before passing judgement. Clarkson High is also the catchment High for Clarkson of course. Ocean Reef high also has it's share of bad press. There are of course private schools around, for Quinns & Clarkson area there is Quinns Baptist, Irene McCormack (?spelling), Peter Moyes.

Roughly how much do you ant to spend on ahouse & what do you require?

MM
Old Mar 1st 2005, 1:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury Monkey
Bit of a blanket statement there Renth "Clarkson is rough". Clarkson is actually improving rapidly.
OK, Clarkson is "Rough for Perth". Still plenty of bogons, wrecked cars on front gardens and burn out marks everywhere. But not rough like Cambeltown in Sydney where the recent riots have just taken place.

Come to think of it Quinns has a bit of a reputation for general hooning, drag racing and burn outs too.

Out of the three areas Ocean Reef is the nicest.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Mercury Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
OK, Clarkson is "Rough for Perth". Still plenty of bogons, wrecked cars on front gardens and burn out marks everywhere. But not rough like Cambeltown in Sydney where the recent riots have just taken place.

Come to think of it Quinns has a bit of a reputation for general hooning, drag racing and burn outs too.

Out of the three areas Ocean Reef is the nicest.

..................but also the most expensive? Burn out marks you find everywhere it seems. See them in the coastal car parks -including OReef, esp after the w/ends.

Depending on what money you have available, what about Kinross, Currambine, Burns Beach, Butler etc?

MM
Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Kinross is a nice area, well it wouls be cos I live there!!!
Clarkson is really improving. A lot of money is being ploughed into it, to make it 'the place to be'
What about Mindarie.......bit pricey though.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Hello All,

Thanks everyone. That was really useful. I am not looking to buy at the moment as I am coming over on a sponsered visa. We have never been to australia before and need to know if we like it and want to settle there before thinking of buying property.

Someone suggested Kinross. What secondary school serves that area?

Of course this all depends where I get work. It could be south of the river but after all my research, I fancy living north.

Does anyone know what the school fees are for a state school?

Is there a high crime rate then?!!!!!!

Hope to hear from you all soon

Aint this site great!!

Diane
Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:49 pm
family of 4

the raindodgers is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Info about Perth

Hi Diane1967
We too are hoping to move to Perth " kids who will be 18 15 when we go next year
I am a nurse and partner is brickie
Also have our dog to consider don't know yet how much she will cost but know its only 30 days in quarentine

Let us know if you find out about good schools or what areas you find to be good
Good luck with your move over there and hope all goes well
Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:57 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Diane1967
Hello All,
Of course this all depends where I get work. It could be south of the river but after all my research, I fancy living north.
What`s wrong with South??? It`s great.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Hello raindodgers,

I have been told that it will cost about £2000 to get the dog over to australia!

Still mulling over where to live and what schools to choose. Could do with some info from kids that attend the schools in the perth area.

Bye for now

Diane
Old Mar 5th 2005, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

PJ & B is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

My name is Diane. I am a nurse hoping to relocate to the perth area in July/August. I have a husband, 2 kids (14 and 12) and a dog.

Can anyone give me advice on where to live and/or the best schools in the area. I have been looking at ocean reef, Clarkson and Quinns Rocks.

My husband is a wood machinist. Will he be able to find work in the area and what can he expect to earn?

We are all very excited and are looking forward to making australia our new home.

Diane
We have some friends in Quinns Rock, seems very remote to us, but depends what your looking for. We are moving to South of Perth, Secret Harbour, we looked at some schools there on our visit, we really liked the schools and there were a lot of british kids moving in, which makes it easier for ours to make friends.

Our Agent said it would cost more to fly our dog out than it would for us to fly out.`About £2,000.00. My husband said it would be cheaper to put the dog down. I love my baby, so if its a choice between him or the dog, I choose the dog...

The average wage seems to be about the same as here, but the house prices are lower, which leaves most of us better off.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

PJ & B is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

Diane

Log on to www.eddept.wa.edu.au for info about schools in Wa.

If you email them with any questions they are really helpful, reply the next day.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 11:08 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
What`s wrong with South??? It`s great.
it is, and we're bucking the trend house price wise, they're rising because of the new railway line and the new hospital that's being built in Murdoch...
Old Mar 6th 2005, 12:52 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

We have lived here in Port Kennedy, Rockingham almost 18 months...cant believe it!
We (me and hubby)love it here and chose here because its much quieter and ofcourse houses are cheaper but land in particular is becoming more expensive.
We hear the twits at night time driving like mad men/ women and think well they obviously have nothing else to do! and have more money that sense! In places you can see the doughnuts on the road.

I too am a nurse and hubby a carpenter by trade but now teaching apprentices at tafe in Mandurah.
Our kids are now 20, 16 and 12.
The 20yr old says its boring down here and I suppose for him it is...not much night life/ lively pubs but he understands why we like it here. He is now at Curtin uni and loving it...new found freedom and lots of new people to get to know...and as he puts it...'lots of fit intelligent females' He plans to move nearer uni when he can.
Our other two children, both girls, also are settling in well now but it was a long and very difficult year at times last year. Oldest girl has now stopped pining for a boy in England and got one here... I feel though that we would have had more arguements with our 16 yr old wanting to go out to pubs etc in UK ...she cant do that here because you need I.D to get in anywhere. BUT ofcourse they want to go to the beach at night and take alcohol there......very difficult isnt it....
I have found both junior and high schools in our area comparable to the UK re subjects taught etc but very much more relaxed and laid back esp re uniform(or lack of it almost!).

We also brought an old dog with us...she has adapted absolutely fine....no worries mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.