Reload this Page >

India vs Australia

India vs Australia

Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

ozmania is an unknown quantity at this point
Default India vs Australia

hello everyone!

I have a 175 PR visa and am a .Net IT consultant working in the investment banking domain. I have around 7 years of work experience. I am an Indian and currently working in Delhi on a salary of 15 LpA. I am single, but want to plan looking at a long term view on starting the family in a near future.

My question is that does it make sense to leave a good paying job and a comfortable lifestyle in India to move to Syd/Mel? What salary should i bag in say Sydney to make it worth? Considering the high living cost in Sydney, i don't think i would be able to make it big on money front..what say?

Please share your experiences. Pros Cons any which would apply to my case.

This is really very important for me to understand as i have to decide on it asap.

Do help!

thanks
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:56 am
Having a Gr8 life in Oz

abhijeet.waykar is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: India vs Australia

I dont know about the how much salary you can expect after coming here ... but I can tell you one thing for sure that you will have peace of mind here ( which you could never get in India ...no offense but its what I strongly feel) Its a paradise here :-)

India vs Australia --- No way mate you can't compare them.. Australia is way up there ..right on the top :-)

Last edited by abhijeet.waykar; Apr 19th 2010 at 5:04 am.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: India vs Australia

Originally Posted by abhijeet.waykar
I dont know about the how much salary you can expect after coming here ... but I can tell you one thing for sure that you will have peace of mind here ( which you could never get in India ...no offense but its what I strongly feel) Its a paradise here :-)

India vs Australia --- No way mate you can't compare them.. Australia is way up there ..right on the top :-)
thanks Abhijeet!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:33 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozmania
hello everyone!

I have a 175 PR visa and am a .Net IT consultant working in the investment banking domain. I have around 7 years of work experience. I am an Indian and currently working in Delhi on a salary of 15 LpA. I am single, but want to plan looking at a long term view on starting the family in a near future.

My question is that does it make sense to leave a good paying job and a comfortable lifestyle in India to move to Syd/Mel? What salary should i bag in say Sydney to make it worth? Considering the high living cost in Sydney, i don't think i would be able to make it big on money front..what say?

Please share your experiences. Pros Cons any which would apply to my case.

This is really very important for me to understand as i have to decide on it asap.

Do help!

thanks
Pros and Cons? Pro -Australia is a first world country.
Con -India is a third world country.
You don't see many AUssies queuing up to live in India, you do see thousands of Inidans queuing up to live in OZ.

Last edited by mohogony; Apr 19th 2010 at 9:37 am.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:40 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the IT jobs in Australia have been outsourced to India.

.Net is ten a penny in Australia and without western experience you will struggle to find work. You may also find your qualifications aren't recognised in Australia (depending on where you did your degree) and you may have to do a bridging course.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deancm
Most of the IT jobs in Australia have been outsourced to India.

.Net is ten a penny in Australia and without western experience you will struggle to find work. You may also find your qualifications aren't recognised in Australia (depending on where you did your degree) and you may have to do a bridging course.
Thanks Deancm. I have been in London consulting for RBS for 1.5 years and have worked in NYC for Citibank, So i hope i would get something suitable in OZ. I have a 4 years Engineering degree in Computer Science, don't think i would have to do any bridging course. But thanks for pointing that out. I will make sure to dig more into this aspect at my end.

Thanks!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mohogony
Pros and Cons? Pro -Australia is a first world country.
Con -India is a third world country.
You don't see many AUssies queuing up to live in India, you do see thousands of Inidans queuing up to live in OZ.
that's a real fact. But the other side of the coin is that Indian job market is really buzzing up these days and there are opportunities wherein people could get the pay packages comparable to that in first world countries.
Considering that no matter how much you earn, and no matter how much luxurious world you build around yourself, one had to step out on the roads and use public infrastructure which is pain in the ***. I am quite convinced about the lifestyle which countries like US, UK, Aus, canada offer. My worry is that with changing times and with changing economies..is moving to Aus as lucrative as it was in the past?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quality employers looking for quality .NET developers will concentrate on your development skills as a whole rather than your .NET skills.

These skills might include your ability to see the big picture, design a robust solution, breadth of knowledge across the whole life cycle/databases etc, attention to quality, ability to communicate your designs, involve stakeholders, negotiate, your commercial focus etc, etc.

These are the things that make a good developer and these would be some of the skills these employers might be most concerned you are missing. They might wonder whether teams are structured differently in India and have concerns over how much exposure you have to non-coding tasks. They will also probably have concerns over your verbal/written communication skills.
Some might even see your name and assume you are lacking some of these skills and not interview you.

It might help to focus on displaying your strengths in the areas I mentioned above to allay their concerns (on your CV and at the interview). Edit: Your non Indian experience will obviously help convince them.

Obviously .NET is a very popular language and so a lot of people have it on their CV but the range of skills in the language itself is enormous.

Any medium/advanced skills you can demonstrate would be good as well: advanced testing strategies/mocking, advanced software patterns, framework design, wcf/event queues/enterprise bus, advanced VSTS/builds/deployment/installation, mobility, web, advanced service patterns etc would all help.

Good luck.

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 19th 2010 at 10:20 am.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozmania
that's a real fact. But the other side of the coin is that Indian job market is really buzzing up these days and there are opportunities wherein people could get the pay packages comparable to that in first world countries.
Considering that no matter how much you earn, and no matter how much luxurious world you build around yourself, one had to step out on the roads and use public infrastructure which is pain in the ***. I am quite convinced about the lifestyle which countries like US, UK, Aus, canada offer. My worry is that with changing times and with changing economies..is moving to Aus as lucrative as it was in the past?
Maybe compare the Indian salaries with these here to make up your mind: http://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs09...Technology.pdf (Note figures do not include 9% super pension payment)

This paragraph from that survey might interest you:

Positions in demand

There is much debate about whether IT skill shortages still exist in Australia.

Certainly demand for staff has decreased and candidate availability has risen, but quality candidates with excellent technical knowledge remain in short supply. J2EE and MS.Net developers who can deliver on time and to budget are needed, while in infrastructure the world of convergent technology remains candidate short.

Strong IP skills are needed. In the nontechnical arena, project managers able to work to deadlines and business drivers as well as business analysts with strong business functional skills are needed
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fish.01
There is much debate about whether IT skill shortages still exist in Australia.
Australia doesn't actually have a skill shortage. When people use the term 'skill shortages' what they are really saying is that there aren't people applying for jobs via the usual mediums such as Seek et al, in other words there's a shortage of active job seekers but this only comprises a very small part of the employment market.

The issue s further compounded when employers want the best in the industry and yet want to pay buttons. Then they complain they can't find anyone because there is a skill shortage...

Certainly demand for staff has decreased and candidate availability has risen, but quality candidates with excellent technical knowledge remain in short supply.
That's because these are the guys that are in work and don't need to be looking for a new job.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Australia doesn't actually have a skill shortage. When people use the term 'skill shortages' what they are really saying is that there aren't people applying for jobs via the usual mediums such as Seek et al, in other words there's a shortage of active job seekers but this only comprises a very small part of the employment market.

The issue s further compounded when employers want the best in the industry and yet want to pay buttons. Then they complain they can't find anyone because there is a skill shortage...

That's because these are the guys that are in work and don't need to be looking for a new job.
Thanks dean, too be honest I didn't pay much attention to all the guff except "MS.Net developers" but it's good to have a professional recruiters opinion.

Our s/w house seems to have ramped back up again recently...even though the recruitment freeze imposed during the GFC has not been offically lifted I have noticed a lot more jobs advertised in the last month or two. I think it was 7 .net dev jobs last week alone.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Thanks dean, too be honest I didn't pay much attention to all the guff except "MS.Net developers" but it's good to have a professional recruiters opinion.

Our s/w house seems to have ramped back up again recently...even though the recruitment freeze imposed during the GFC has not been offically lifted I have noticed a lot more jobs advertised in the last month or two. I think it was 7 .net dev jobs last week alone.
I've noticed the market markedly pick up in the last few weeks.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Quality employers looking for quality .NET developers will concentrate on your development skills as a whole rather than your .NET skills.

These skills might include your ability to see the big picture, design a robust solution, breadth of knowledge across the whole life cycle/databases etc, attention to quality, ability to communicate your designs, involve stakeholders, negotiate, your commercial focus etc, etc.

These are the things that make a good developer and these would be some of the skills these employers might be most concerned you are missing. They might wonder whether teams are structured differently in India and have concerns over how much exposure you have to non-coding tasks. They will also probably have concerns over your verbal/written communication skills.
Some might even see your name and assume you are lacking some of these skills and not interview you.

It might help to focus on displaying your strengths in the areas I mentioned above to allay their concerns (on your CV and at the interview). Edit: Your non Indian experience will obviously help convince them.

Obviously .NET is a very popular language and so a lot of people have it on their CV but the range of skills in the language itself is enormous.

Any medium/advanced skills you can demonstrate would be good as well: advanced testing strategies/mocking, advanced software patterns, framework design, wcf/event queues/enterprise bus, advanced VSTS/builds/deployment/installation, mobility, web, advanced service patterns etc would all help.

Good luck.
I appreciate your response.
i believe i can risk visiting Sydney for say a month's time and see what i can land at.
thanks again for the useful information.

Cheers!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

I've noticed the market markedly pick up in the last few weeks.
thanks Deancm! This gives me hope
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Maybe compare the Indian salaries with these here to make up your mind: http://www.hays.com.au/salary/pdfs09...Technology.pdf (Note figures do not include 9% super pension payment)
reg. this point...well, you earn in dollars and you spend in dollars
In India, the living expense percentage of the income is not as high as that in Sydney (atleast that what I believe.) With my current financial status, i can afford a luxury home, a luxury car, house maids etc.
Most Indians have the lure of converting dollars into Indian Rupee and they feel good about it!! and prob that's the reason we see long queues outside foreign embassies.

I am a bit confused and can argue on both sides of the debate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.