Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing cat to Australia - problem

Importing cat to Australia - problem

Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

02737640 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing cat to Australia - problem

Hi I am looking for some advice. I am moving over to Australia with my partner in July. We are taking our cat with us and I now have to start his process at the vet. Before I do this I need to get an import permit. To get one I need to supply an Australian address and phone number. I am unable to do this as we won't know where we're staying until June as accommodation will be sorted before we go as my partners work place is sorting accommodation for us. The location and workplace will also be confirmed neater the time so I can't even put the workplace down as an address. Is there any other way round this?? I was hoping to put my uk address down and email an Australian address nearer the time but don't think that is an option
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing cat to Australia - problem

Do you need to get the permit now? Why not just wait, I got mine about three weeks in advance and put down hotel address. What you need to be doing now, are rabies jabs and tests for a move in August.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

I need the import now as the vet needs to fill out form A and B and these forms are only included in the permit. I thought I could get the permit later on but I read about it and it seems I need it now for forms A and B
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 02737640
I need the import now as the vet needs to fill out form A and B and these forms are only included in the permit. I thought I could get the permit later on but I read about it and it seems I need it now for forms A and B
Err ok. I have no idea what forms A and B are. All I know is that I moved my cats over with a few weeks notice, not 8 months.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:43 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I had a quick look at the information and you only need to get the rabies vaccination now, then the blood test. You can't apply for an import permit until you have the results from the rabies test anyway. Have a look here

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the United Kingdom
Old Dec 8th 2012, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I had a quick look at the information and you only need to get the rabies vaccination now, then the blood test. You can't apply for an import permit until you have the results from the rabies test anyway. Have a look here

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the United Kingdom
Step 4 - BEFORE sampling blood For the rabies antIbody test

Then It states that the vet needs to complete certificate A and certificate B. Certificate A and B comes with the import permit
Old Dec 8th 2012, 9:02 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Step 4 - BEFORE sampling blood For the rabies antIbody test

Then It states that the vet needs to complete certificate A and certificate B. Certificate A and B comes with the import permit
Step 4 says locate a government approved vet and laboratory who will be able to complete form A and B. It doesn't say that these forms need to be completed at this time. Step 7 is apply for the permit, and only after this wil you have these forms. Bit confusing really - have you tried e-mailing them for advice?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

It is confusing I have managed to do step one which is the microchip! I'm sure I will manage. Thanks for pointing that out. I should have read it more carefully
Old Dec 8th 2012, 9:10 pm

Just had a quick look around - import permits are only valid for 6 months so definitley don't apply to early. Contact Defra for approved vets in the uk and more info - info here

http://animalhealth.defra.gov.uk/abo...deexports.html
Old Dec 8th 2012, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much you have been really helpful
Old Dec 8th 2012, 9:23 pm

Thank you very much you have been really helpful
No problem - good luck
Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we gave a friends address- no idea why as everything was done by email!

The rabies needs a huge lead time, but most of the other docs have a finite lifespan. It is a bureaucratic nightmare but is possible. Our little paperwork bundle is asleep on the bed, relieved after leaving quarantine 2 months ago.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:18 am
Just Joined

CindyHelens is an unknown quantity at this point

It's too early to process but did you check with pet import services yet?