Importing Cars

Old Apr 4th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Importing Cars

Originally Posted by janine newtownabbey
Subarus also have anchor points behind the seats, Hopefully this should meet the requirements. My husband tells me that subaru's are ALL built in Japan then shipped to whatever country in the world unlike lots of other manufacturers so the UK model is supposed to be excatly the same as the Australian model for example.
Lets hope its the case.

I will defo let you know how things go for us.
In the case of Subaru's I can confirm this is the case regarding child seat fixings. ISOFIX means nothing, but the top tether mounting points are present on all UK WRZ's and STI's. They are built to one spec and this is consistent among right hand drive cars. However, certain ADR specs means that there could, and probably are, other requirements that you may have to adhere to.

Also, Subaru's are cheaper here than in the UK. Small point but valid.

I think everything you have said is correct 'except' regarding the number of STi's there are here - there are way more than you imagine. Having bought and owned new WRX and STI's in both Australia and the UK, I've done the lots, joined the clubs etc etc and there are plenty of them.

The biggest issue, more so in your case, is that the value of your car will be less than a grey import which has come from Japan. UK spec Subaru's are very rare and not looked highly upon, simply because there are SO many here to choose from.

I assume yours is a blob eye and not a hawk eye, which means your $40k assessment is perhaps a bit high. You can pick up 2005 models for $35k and they are not selling as, like the UK, the frequent changes of models has a negative impact on their values.

Finally, the tuning market for Impreza's is more substantial here and many people by the WRX and tune it, keeping the factory warranty intact, and producing more power for less money than the STI, another (smaller) reason why there are fewer on the roads.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: car export

Originally Posted by bigAPE
So you have owned the car for at least 12 months right ?

Assuming that you have owned it for at least twelve months (and can document every day of it - read my article for more info) then it will cost you about £3,000 to ship and as the used price here (an average as I can't find that specific model - not a good sign) of $24,000 your bottom line on paper is a loss of £3,000

See attached spreadsheet for more details.

Al
BigApe is correct - that model of car IS sold here but not in the diesel version, since they decided not to import it. The diesel engine is avaiable in other models from Hyundai and Kia (same company) so you'll have less of an issue getting parts, and spares can also be obtained, so you'll not be out on a limb, BUT you will need to have a search for the right place that can look at ECU faults as and when required since they'll only be set-up for a petrol car here and not a diesel.

Thus you will have a lower vlaue placed on it. Selling it will be a challenge though not as much. Key thing is to show the benefit of being a diesel and hope someone is willing to take a punt on what is a unqiue car in the country, and not 'recognised' by dealers.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 6:57 am
Just Joined

janine newtownabbey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slipshot
In the case of Subaru's I can confirm this is the case regarding child seat fixings. ISOFIX means nothing, but the top tether mounting points are present on all UK WRZ's and STI's. They are built to one spec and this is consistent among right hand drive cars. However, certain ADR specs means that there could, and probably are, other requirements that you may have to adhere to.

Also, Subaru's are cheaper here than in the UK. Small point but valid.

I think everything you have said is correct 'except' regarding the number of STi's there are here - there are way more than you imagine. Having bought and owned new WRX and STI's in both Australia and the UK, I've done the lots, joined the clubs etc etc and there are plenty of them.

The biggest issue, more so in your case, is that the value of your car will be less than a grey import which has come from Japan. UK spec Subaru's are very rare and not looked highly upon, simply because there are SO many here to choose from.

I assume yours is a blob eye and not a hawk eye, which means your $40k assessment is perhaps a bit high. You can pick up 2005 models for $35k and they are not selling as, like the UK, the frequent changes of models has a negative impact on their values.

Finally, the tuning market for Impreza's is more substantial here and many people by the WRX and tune it, keeping the factory warranty intact, and producing more power for less money than the STI, another (smaller) reason why there are fewer on the roads.
Thanks for your input.
We dont care about the re-sale value as we are not bringing it across to Oz to sell on. We will be buying a daily driver just as we have here in the UK to keep the Subaru for weekends.

I do feel you are wrong on Subarus being cheaper in OZ than the UK however. I done this valuation on www.drive.com.au

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STi MY04
4D SEDAN, 2004, 2.0 lt, 6 SP MANUAL
Average km's travelled 74,000
Price when new $56630
View Car Specifications Estimated Valuations:
$27720-33880 private sale
$26300-30800 trade in value
$36700-44040 dealer price

Our car only has 59,545km so far less than the 74,000 that estimate is based on.
The latest UK valuation based on 45,981 miles(74,000km) through www.autotrader.co.uk

Subaru Impreza Saloon (02-07) 2.0 WRX STi AWD 4dr 2004 (04)45,981 miles
Dealer £9,430
Private £8,095

Dont think I need to convert that to AUD for anyone to see that it's cheaper!(I am very surprised @ the sudden drop in value here in the UK) Both are Glass's valuations.

As for people modding WRX's to make them more powerful than STi's, it is the same here but STi's also get modded. Our STi has over 400bhp! something a WRX cannot acheive without a FULL engine rebuild.

Last edited by janine newtownabbey; Apr 5th 2009 at 8:08 am.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by janine newtownabbey
Thanks for your input.
We dont care about the re-sale value as we are not bringing it across to Oz to sell on. We will be buying a daily driver just as we have here in the UK to keep the Subaru for weekends.

I do feel you are wong on Subarus being cheaper in OZ than the UK however. I done this valuation on www.drive.com.au

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STi MY04
4D SEDAN, 2004, 2.0 lt, 6 SP MANUAL
Average km's travelled 74,000
Price when new $56630
View Car Specifications Estimated Valuations:
$27720-33880 private sale
$26300-30800 trade in value
$36700-44040 dealer price

Our car only has 59,545km so far less than the 74,000 that estimate is based on.
The latest UK valuation based on 45,981 miles(74,000km) through www.autotrader.co.uk

Subaru Impreza Saloon (02-07) 2.0 WRX STi AWD 4dr 2004 (04)45,981 miles
Dealer £9,430
Private £8,095

Don't think I need to convert that to AUD for anyone to see that it's cheaper!(I am very surprised @ the sudden drop in value here in the UK) Both are Glass's valuations.

As far people modding WRX's to make them more powerful than STi's, it is the same here but STi's also get modded. Our STi has over 400bhp! something a WRX cannot achieve without a FULL engine rebuild.
Fair enough -with the current exchange rate they are not so, but over the past 10 years they most definitely have been. But that now works massively in your favour.

Incidentally, your Glass' valuation I would disagree with (if via Autotrader than I would say that is incorrect) - having just looked at Glass' myself, (via a direct link) I see for 04 plate car you are looking at a trade-in of a part-exchange Price, Excellent condition of £7370. Using the exchange rate, it still works in your favour though, but you do have all the additional costs to factor in.

I'm well aware that Sti's are modded in the UK as they are in Oz, although I can advise from experience there is a lot more of it here than in the UK. You would be entering a good tuning world here though so you will be in very good hands. However, as you will know the quality of the car is down to the quality of the tuner and little else, so you'll have fun. Bottom line is you;d never make any of your tuning costs back when you come to sell it and it is worth very little (as Subaru's do love their depreciation), which is a bonus if you bring it.

But do listen to BigApe - he, like me, has imported a car and found it always costs more than you think. If you are prepared for some unforeseen costs, and love the car enough, then definitely bring it.

And remember that most unleaded here is 91 ron, so stay away from that to avoid lovely and dodgy detonation!

Good luck and have fun.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:06 am
Just Joined

janine newtownabbey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slipshot
Fair enough -with the current exchange rate they are not so, but over the past 10 years they most definitely have been. But that now works massively in your favour.

Incidentally, your Glass' valuation I would disagree with (if via Autotrader than I would say that is incorrect) - having just looked at Glass' myself, (via a direct link) I see for 04 plate car you are looking at a trade-in of a part-exchange Price, Excellent condition of £7370. Using the exchange rate, it still works in your favour though, but you do have all the additional costs to factor in.

I'm well aware that Sti's are modded in the UK as they are in Oz, although I can advise from experience there is a lot more of it here than in the UK. You would be entering a good tuning world here though so you will be in very good hands. However, as you will know the quality of the car is down to the quality of the tuner and little else, so you'll have fun. Bottom line is you;d never make any of your tuning costs back when you come to sell it and it is worth very little (as Subaru's do love their depreciation), which is a bonus if you bring it.

But do listen to BigApe - he, like me, has imported a car and found it always costs more than you think. If you are prepared for some unforeseen costs, and love the car enough, then definitely bring it.

And remember that most unleaded here is 91 ron, so stay away from that to avoid lovely and dodgy detonation!

Good luck and have fun.
Thanks.
BigApe has opened our eyes when it comes to costs by doing a breakdown for us.

Last edited by janine newtownabbey; Apr 5th 2009 at 8:10 am.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:27 am
Just Joined

ypandher is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to mention the Quarantine Entry fees, Customs Entry fees, Air Conditioning fees, AQIS Quarantine fees, Local shipping fees, Customs Levied Entry fees and that's before you get hit with import tax, duty and on-road costs.

Have a read of this...

Importing Your Car to Australia

and if you still feel that you want to go ahead with it I'll give you a very rough estimate of the total cost of importing if you provide the following information.
  • Make
  • Model
  • Model Type
  • Body Type
  • Engine size
  • Transmission
  • Year of Manufacture
  • Mileage
  • Condition
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?

So an example would be:
  • Make: Toyota
  • Model: Land Cruiser
  • Model Type: LC4
  • Body Type: 4 Door
  • Engine size: 2982cc
  • Transmission: Manual 4x4/4x2
  • Year of Manufacture: 2004
  • Mileage: 15,000m
  • Condition: Excellent
  • What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Be as specific as possible

Al
Hi BigApe,

I was wondering if you could help me. I just got my PR to go to Sydney, and will be leaving in June. I have had a few removal companies around, and i am looking to take my car too.
The guys i spoke to seem unsure as to what value the car would be and how the customs would put a value on it, they reckon it will be at the purchase price of the car, converted to Aus $$$'s. Now this seems a bit harsh, as i bought the car about 5 yrs ago, and just finished paying the finance off last year. I bought the car for about £45k, and have just had it valued on Glass's website and it is at most going to get me £16k. I was under the impression that the customs value would be what it was valued at in Aus at time of landing, but even looking on the customs.gov.au website, it says there are 2 methods used, 1 is the Purchase price one, and 2 the value of the car currently if i dont have the purchase receipt, which actually i do have. Also do i just need to write a statement about my aircon in the car, as i doubt it would have any CFC in there, or does this need to come from someone in particular. I had a read on BritVics, but that was for Victoria, and not sure if its specific
My car Details are below if you can help.....appreciate it

* Make: BMW
* Model: X5
* Model Type: 2005MY Sport
* Body Type: 5 Door
* Engine size: 3.0i
* Transmission: Auto 4x4
* Year of Manufacture: 2004
* Mileage: 8,000m
* Condition: Excellent
* What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000-£16,000
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:37 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get a good customs broker he will conduct the correct valuation for you.

Remember the car is worth nothing to any dealer here, only private and then your market is small.

So therefore the value of your import is minimal, make the figure up yourself..... it goes to a customs system, not a panel of government detectives who spend 4 hours mulling over it..... quick simple procedure, be very economical with what you say, they dont like too much talking or filling in paperwork....just easy answers to get the car through.

catch my drift.....................?

Originally Posted by ypandher
Hi BigApe,

I was wondering if you could help me. I just got my PR to go to Sydney, and will be leaving in June. I have had a few removal companies around, and i am looking to take my car too.
The guys i spoke to seem unsure as to what value the car would be and how the customs would put a value on it, they reckon it will be at the purchase price of the car, converted to Aus $$$'s. Now this seems a bit harsh, as i bought the car about 5 yrs ago, and just finished paying the finance off last year. I bought the car for about £45k, and have just had it valued on Glass's website and it is at most going to get me £16k. I was under the impression that the customs value would be what it was valued at in Aus at time of landing, but even looking on the customs.gov.au website, it says there are 2 methods used, 1 is the Purchase price one, and 2 the value of the car currently if i dont have the purchase receipt, which actually i do have. Also do i just need to write a statement about my aircon in the car, as i doubt it would have any CFC in there, or does this need to come from someone in particular. I had a read on BritVics, but that was for Victoria, and not sure if its specific
My car Details are below if you can help.....appreciate it

* Make: BMW
* Model: X5
* Model Type: 2005MY Sport
* Body Type: 5 Door
* Engine size: 3.0i
* Transmission: Auto 4x4
* Year of Manufacture: 2004
* Mileage: 8,000m
* Condition: Excellent
* What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000-£16,000
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

jamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant futurejamo123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by La Vida loca

Remember the car is worth nothing to any dealer here, only private and then your market is small.

So therefore the value of your import is minimal, make the figure up yourself..... it goes to a customs system, not a panel of government detectives who spend 4 hours mulling over it..... quick simple procedure, be very economical with what you say, they dont like too much talking or filling in paperwork....just easy answers to get the car through.

Steer well clear of Murrells freight at Port Kembla (Seaway use them), they are rip off merchants. They charged me over $2,000 to steam clean my BMW - when I know full well it was spotless when it set sail. Even if it wasn't the job was no more than $500.

Plus they left all the wheel arch trimmings in the boot rather than putting them back on, then after an argument with them over price (I had to pay otherwise they kept the car) the car was delivered with massive deep scratches across the bonnet. Another 2.5k to fix.

Redneck a***holes.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:19 am
Just Joined

ypandher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by La Vida loca

OK thanks, so basically i just need to find a half decent broker in Sydney who will do everything for me, including the valuation. Anyone have any recommendations? Should i be contacting them first before i leave to get the valuation done for my car, and will they speak to customs for me and do everything when i get there? Also the Aircon Statements and AQIS, how does that work, would the broker do all that too.
Sorry for the 101 questions, just really nervous about taking the car and i am not going to have much time to sort anything out when i get there, as i am starting a new job. Appreciate all and any help.
Old May 5th 2009, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Morgie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there can anyone recommend a customs agent for the Brisbane area?Hoping to ship out my car depending on valuation.Mamy thanks.
Old May 12th 2009, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

juddy will become famous soon enoughjuddy will become famous soon enough

Unless you have a really special car, why bother exporting one here, cars are cheap here, and many of the Uk cars will have different mechanical set ups more suited for uk roads. However if you have a Land Rover defender 90, or 110 doublecab then bring it here, as you will make loads on it when you sell it...
Old May 24th 2009, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnschofield10
Hi,

Here's a rundown of my vehicle
* Make Hyundai
* Model Tuscon
* Model Type CRTD CDX
* Body Type Estate
* Engine size 1991cc Diesel
* Transmission Manual 6 Speed
* Year of Manufacture 2008
* Mileage 3,000mls
* Condition excellent
* What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?£10K

Assuming that you have owned it for at least twelve months (and can document every day of it - read my article for more info) then it will cost you about £3,000 to ship and as the used price here (an average as I can't find that specific model - not a good sign) of $24,000 your bottom line on paper is a loss of £3,000

Al
So you have owned the car for at least 12 months right ?

Al
However, the lower the value of your car (how much you can actually sell it for in the UK) the more attractive it is to ship it.

Our car:-

Make Hyundai, Climate Control, Leather etc...
* Model Tuscon
* Model Type V6 CDX
* Body Type Estate
* Engine size 2.7L Petrol
* Transmission Automatic 3 Speed
* Year of Manufacture 2005
* Mileage 26730 kms (16500 miles)
* Condition excellent

Book value now is only £4600 . We paid £16000 for it just over 2 years ago.

Sell in UK & buy in Oz - Exch rate 2:1
How much do I owe on it when I move? £0

A. How much can I sell it for in UK? (£ In) £4,600
B. Then buy the equivalent car in Oz? (£ Out) -£11,500

1. Nett cost to buy same in Oz (£ Out) (A+B) -£6,900
2. OR Nett cost to ship it over? (£ Out) approx -£4,500 (Al's handy S/S)

Difference between 1 & 2 Above. £2,400 or $4,800

So we'd be better off by $4800 in Oz by shipping it. We would have to be able to sell it here for about £7000 for it to not be worth it - Unlikely.

Plus it will have a higher resale value in Oz (less import devalution of say 10%?) than the resale value in UK.

So by the time it's completely worthless in the UK (+-2 yrs ), it may still have some value in OZ.

I think it's worth shipping it.

Road Tax here in UK from 2010 on this vehicle will be £455 per annum. What would the Road Tax equivalent be in WA roughly?

Last edited by Alfresco; May 24th 2009 at 1:27 pm.
Old May 24th 2009, 10:06 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Plus it will have a higher resale value in Oz (less import devalution of say 10%?) than the resale value in UK.

So by the time it's completely worthless in the UK (+-2 yrs ), it may still have some value in OZ.

I think it's worth shipping it.

Road Tax here in UK from 2010 on this vehicle will be £455 per annum. What would the Road Tax equivalent be in WA roughly?
Good luck, let us know how it goes with that.

All I am trying to do is dispell a lot of the myths about shipping, especially concerning the realistic total cost of shipping which the companies offering these services never fully explain. A lot of people come on here and other forums asking about it because "a mate told them that it would cost £1,000 to get it to Australia" or "the shipping company told them it would be 1,500 to ship to Australia". If you feel that your personal circumstances deem it viable then that is of course your choice.

All I am saying is that in my experience from shipping my car and hearing hundreds of stories and personal accounts, unless you have a rare car or classic car then it's going to be break even at best. In some rare situations a pretty regular marque in the UK might fetch more over here, but in general the Australians approach cars in a different way to people in the UK. Asian 4x4's are specifically very common here, far more so than in the UK (obviously).

If it is a common marque here and all you plan on doing is bringing it here, driving it into the ground and the costs are acceptable to you then go for it, but don't think you'll be doing it for profit. The car industry and the government have designed the personal import process in such a way that you will rarely make any profit.

Al
Old May 24th 2009, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

k974 will become famous soon enough

if any you guys thinking coming over in the next 12months (i.e you cna prove you've owned it long enough etc) buy a new shape 2003 or later swb diesel patrol or landcruiser you will sell it here for a permium no swb landcruisers or patrols have been sold in oz since early 90's they'll command a premium garunteed.
Old May 25th 2009, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

juddy will become famous soon enoughjuddy will become famous soon enough

Better still buy a Land Rover 90.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.