British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Importing car from England (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/importing-car-england-910162/)

Peterwells Mar 8th 2018 9:56 am

Importing car from England

Hi, does anyone know a company I can use to import my car into Australia, I will be living in Perth.

spuddyo Mar 8th 2018 7:40 pm

Re: Importing car from England

I imported two using Anglo Pacific as the shipping company, shared container both times. Very helpful and the cars arrived in good condition. I have heard some horror stories about Roll on roll off services, shared container is the way to go.

Watch out for all the financial extras, demur-age here in Australia, Customs Duty, GST ( The Government double dip ) steam cleaning, compliance etc. If its a collectors car it can be worth it, but not for a common family car. Also insurance here can be an issue as it will be considered a 'grey import' but I have found Shannons to be OK.

rammygirl Mar 9th 2018 2:53 am

Look at Iron Lady Imports. They sorted ours. We used Ro-ro rather than a container. Do not be put off this. Most cars are transported around the world this way including high end Supercars. Just check the detail. Most use purpose built vessels, all cars are indoors and well protected. Ours was in an almost new, state of the art container ship only used for this purpose, most of the cars on there were brand new.

Cars can be easily damaged getting them in and out of containers too!

We had ours shipped to Melbourne then trucked overland to us in Adelaide, worked out much cheaper for some reason. The car arrived safe and well, but it took another two weeks to get it approved and registered.

spuddyo Mar 12th 2018 1:00 am

The stories I have heard about R.O.RO. are generally about things being missing from the car when it arrives rather than external damage. Stereos removed and keys missing etc possible being taken by ships crew with nothing better to do. You pay your money and take your chance.

rammygirl Mar 12th 2018 1:20 am

We were told to leave nothing in the car. We gave them one car key and radios nowadays are built in so can’t really be removed.
The only issues we had were after the car arrived and going through compliance etc!

I’m sure there are risks either way. We took many photos inside and out of the car and insured with a third party. Would have done the same with a container.

gg1234 Mar 29th 2018 12:06 pm

Hi, how much does it cost to have your car shipped? I’m thibking about a move to Adelaide and trying to work out if it’s worth the cost as it is a new car! Shipping from uk. Thanks

old.sparkles Mar 29th 2018 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by gg1234 (Post 12472509)
Hi, how much does it cost to have your car shipped? I’m thibking about a move to Adelaide and trying to work out if it’s worth the cost as it is a new car! Shipping from uk. Thanks

There are company names listed above who can provide quotes on shipping vehicles. It is not necessarily an easy process or cheap.

Please note that posting irrelevant posts in numerous threads to access the pm system is not allowed.

denzil73 Mar 30th 2018 1:36 pm

Also, double check about asbestos for the UK. This is because Oz has a zero percent policy on anything imported. If the UK allows even 1% of a head gasket, other gasket, brake pad, clutch plate etc etc to be made from asbestos then it will need to be removed before loading onto the ship cos if customs deem it to have asbestos in it they will charge you thousands for the safe removal of the affected parts.