Reload this Page >

Import of a campervan

Import of a campervan

Old Mar 15th 2010, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Kersche is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Import of a campervan

Hello everyone,

Im from germany and me and my boyfriend think of importing a campercan to australia (permanently)

First of all I will give you an outline of the project in bullet point form:
1) we bought a small bus (with 16 seats, right-hand-drive, registered in UK since 10 years) in England and transported it to germany with the english “V5 – document”
2) The bus will not get registered in Germany because of the RHD, so I cannot provide a registration on my name for at least 12 month which is claimed by Australian customs (please correct me if I am wrong!)
3) At the moment we are converting the bus to a camper. That means that all seats got removed and beds, a stove, a fridge, cupboards,... ,will get assembled
4) When the converting work is finished, I will send the following items in a 40” container to Perth, WA:
I. the camper
II. our furniture and belongings
III. 2 motorbikes (which were already registered in Germany with “German-papers”)
5) Over there I need an Australian registration and vehicle insurance for the camper and the motorbikes because we will permanently move to WA to live and work there. When my information were right, the maximum duration of driving a car, registered overseas, is 12 month – after that an Australien registration and insurance is needed or the vehicle has to get exported! That is the reason why the vehicles will not have a German or English registration when arriving in Australia.
I hope the outline was adequate enough to answer the following questions:
a) The camper is my own and I will not resell it in Australia, so which requirements do I have to conform not to pay taxes for the camper? I do not want to trade with cars or motorbikes, I just want to use it for my own.
b) I got the information that if taxes have to be paid the amount of these depends on the worth of the vehicle. So who will be allowed to create the valuation report? Can / Must I already do that in Germany?
c) Which documents are necessary to register a vehicle from overseas in Australia? Is it adequate to have the English documents for the camper and a translation of the German registration for the motorbikes?
d) Is it correct that diesel-engined-vehicles are more expensive concerning taxes than others?
e) Are there any agents in WA which can assist me in importing and register our vehicles?

Can anyone give me some advices??

Thanks,
karin