Reload this Page >

Immigration Advice

Immigration Advice

Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Treganin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Advice

I've been offered a position in Perth on a 457 visa and have a few q's

I've read the posting about checking things properly with the 457, so I've checked the company out and am pretty sure it's completely Legit.

However, the agents (recruitment) were unable to give a definitive answer about whether or not I would have to pay for my Kids schooling. I understand about the uniform etc, they say that because I'll be paying tax in Oz I 'shouldn't' have to, any have any direct experience of this?

Also curious about the cost of living. We'll be moving from France, where the cost of living is about the same as the Uk, and have heard that it is cheaper in Oz. We need to budget properly at this stage as we'll not have sold the house here prior to immigration and until it does sell things will be tight!!!!

Cheers In advance (I hope!)
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Advice

no fees if in wa but you do have to pay school uniforms bks etc

australia is not cheaper than the uk sorry

how much will you be earning ? less than $80,000 and you will struggle as you do not get any benefits over here what so ever

good luck
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks Hitchcock,

It's good to have the confirmation about the school fees (we have to pay them here in France) and we knew about the uniform, but cheers again anyway
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:36 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

negotiate lafha into your salary and lso ensure your employer paysd your medical insurance if you can
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Treganin
I've been offered a position in Perth on a 457 visa and have a few q's
Any particular reason why a 457 and not a permanent visa?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 6:10 am
Just Joined

I assume its for the reduced timescales!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:06 am
Ever The Optimist

jen_andy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm over in queensland on hols and the shops are cheaper (not sure how it works out when you're on an aussie wage though)

petrol is about 40-50p a litre, fastfood is about 1/3 of the price, the supermarkets seem a bit pricey and seems to work out cheaper going to the butchers and market for fresh produce etc,

Our childcare at home is about £40 a day, one of the aussies i was speaking too couldn't believe it, not sure how much it is here but it must be a lot less.

As I say, not sure how it all weighs up to an aussie wage and how much gets taken for tax etc but in the shops it all looks like it works out cheaper by quite a large margin,
sorry if anyone disagrees,

Jenny
Old Nov 8th 2008, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jenny, always great to get another view!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

katana is an unknown quantity at this point

We're in Brittany too & looking to move to OZ.Would be good if we could meet up to find out how you've gone about it & compare notes.By the way we're in Gourin
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Good Idea Katana,

We're in Baud, just a bit south of you.

I'll pm my e-mail address.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:51 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but its also a TEMP visa and not PR. Which means you leave your job and you leave the country. You won't be entitled to the same things as PRs are.

If you can get PR you should really consider that option maybe ?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Yes but its also a TEMP visa and not PR. Which means you leave your job and you leave the country. You won't be entitled to the same things as PRs are.

If you can get PR you should really consider that option maybe ?
totally agree - get them to sponser you for pr x
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps, but if they are expecting you to uproot for them, can't they do better than that?

Employer sponsored migration does get priority processing. But are you even eligible for that? Job offer on its own is not enough.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Perhaps, but if they are expecting you to uproot for them, can't they do better than that?

Employer sponsored migration does get priority processing. But are you even eligible for that? Job offer on its own is not enough.
Explain!

I am more tna qualified and experienced to do the job and have extensive proof of that for the government.

The position was advertised in the area prior to my application and no other suitable candidate was found.

The position is in an high growth area.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:49 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Explain!

I am more tna qualified and experienced to do the job and have extensive proof of that for the government.

The position was advertised in the area prior to my application and no other suitable candidate was found.

The position is in an high growth area.
There is a skills assessment to be passed, ie. you need to satisfy educational and experience criteria to the Australian standards, not ones of your home country. This is not a walk in the park and may take a few months in its own right before you can apply for the visa. Read the SOL http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf to see what assessing authority you will need to go through and what the criteria are.

The medical criteria for the permanent applications are more restrictive as well. Hope this explains the basic differences

NJ