Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Immigrating to Sydney – Advice required please?

Immigrating to Sydney – Advice required please?

Old Feb 16th 2013, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

RobMCraig is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Immigrating to Sydney – Advice required please?

Hi,

I must warn you that this is a newbie post. So might have a lot of questions all at once. Please kindly bear with me as there is a bit to cover.

My wife has been offered a position in Sydney on a 457. We are a family of five; our son is 7 and twin girls of 2.

We have been looking at rather a large area to live as have got use to the country life here in the UK. Area was from Central Coast all the way to North West Hills. We have begun to narrow it down to the coastal regions as we both love the beach. Being from South Africa originally I have missed the sunny days on the beach. Yes there are sunny days at the beaches here in the UK but you tend to be there with everyman and his dog on the good days.

We are currently looking on the Central Coast around the Woy Woy (Coastal areas) to Berowra. However they all look great in pictures and location wise on a map. I would like to get people’s opinions on the areas in question. What is the lifestyle like, what are schools like, are there any areas to avoid and such like. We have looked at the transport links and yes it a long commute but my wife will use that time to work on the train, if possible. What are the trains like and would it be possible to work on train? Also what is the frequency of the trains once you go past last stop on the main line?
The next section would be finances. Helen, my wife, will earn $90k and I will be off for the first couple of months to get the family settled. We have worked out a rough budget and think it is possible to live off that wage as will have no child care costs to begin with. Yes we have factored in the education costs of my son being on a 457. Once in country we will look at seeing options of me trying to get 189. As with all moves we understand things will be tight and we pretty much live that life already here in the UK. Again any advice on this would be great.

I will be going through all past and present posts on this matter but thought I would also start one of my own. Maybe things are different for people now as when they might have posted previously.

Again thank you for taking the time to read the above. I am sure there will be things I have missed or not thought of. All responses will be greatly appreciated.

Rob
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating to Sydney – Advice required please?

They are nice areas, we wondered about moving up there during our first six months here, but had to rule it out because the commute was too much. I don't know what the trains are like and whether it is feasible to do work on the train. Will her employer let her leave early to work on the train then?

My lifestyle is completely different to my next door neighbours. Lifestyle is about you, not your address.

Regarding money, if you think you are eligible for the 189 or 190 visa, I would recommend you do start this asap. It will help with finances a lot, not least with the school fees. The takehome pay for your wife will be just under $1300 per week and school fees average out at about $85 a week, so you won't be feeling flush initially, however once you have work too then things will start to feel more comfortable.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
They are nice areas, we wondered about moving up there during our first six months here, but had to rule it out because the commute was too much. I don't know what the trains are like and whether it is feasible to do work on the train. Will her employer let her leave early to work on the train then?

My lifestyle is completely different to my next door neighbours. Lifestyle is about you, not your address.

Regarding money, if you think you are eligible for the 189 or 190 visa, I would recommend you do start this asap. It will help with finances a lot, not least with the school fees. The takehome pay for your wife will be just under $1300 per week and school fees average out at about $85 a week, so you won't be feeling flush initially, however once you have work too then things will start to feel more comfortable.
Yes after talking it through it sounds like they will. She will be working at financial journalist. So will be lots of research and then artical writing. That is something that can be done anywhere. So I think that is something that might work out. We have chatted and think it best she get out there. Do a reccie of areas and see what commute is like to them from CBD. This will give her amuch better idea on areas.

What you say is true about life style. I guess I was meaning more about the life of the community and vibe of the place.

Our budget had us having about $100 per week left if all went to plan. We will have the savings we bring with us but would like to keep those safe for as long as possible. Yes when I start working it would be easier but only if my net take home covers all childcare and any extra expenses attached to it.

Rob
Old Feb 17th 2013, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Woy Woy and areas around there are really nice. I don't live up there so can't give much info on things in the area.

But, for trains, timetable and service etc check http://www.cityrail.info/

Also, the trains going up that way has several "quiet carriages" now, with no talking or phone calls or music etc, so should be fine to get work done.

Good luck with the move.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:03 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Spike Milligan described woy woy as the worlds only above ground cemetery, I did a contract there a few years ago and rented a holiday house for about 8 weeks, I would have to agree with spike. - Beaches would be OK if they weren't chock full of people and the 2 hour commute to sydney in the traffic looks like hell, we would have to run into sydney to pick up supplies and materials quite a lot and would always try to avoid the commuters and get the drive done midday.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Be very careful about moving to the Central Coast! It looks beautiful but this is misleading in many parts. There is real poverty on the Central Coast and it shows in many areas.

Many towns on the Central Coast have big social problems such as high unemployment, crime and drug issues. The train trip on the express train (bogan express) from the Central Coast reveals the Central Coast type well- teenage mothers, drunks swigging out of a bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag and hoons looking for trouble. I used to get that train every day and there were many occasions I didn't feel comfortable, always seem to end up being the one sat near the drunk who starts talking to you. The trains outside of the rush hours are the worst for this.

I would stick to Berowra to Hornsby and down through the northern suburbs or try the northern beaches from Palm Beach to Manly.

Last edited by Jon77; Feb 17th 2013 at 4:41 am.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Woy Woy and areas around there are really nice. I don't live up there so can't give much info on things in the area.

But, for trains, timetable and service etc check http://www.cityrail.info/

Also, the trains going up that way has several "quiet carriages" now, with no talking or phone calls or music etc, so should be fine to get work done.

Good luck with the move.
Yes they do look nice but it is getting peoples views who live in area... Have decided that Helen will go out and have meeting in Sydney with new employers. This will also give her a chance to see areas and then we can make informed decision.

Good to know about the 'quiet carriages' ... Will look into those and see if you have to book tickets in advance.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pomikev
Spike Milligan described woy woy as the worlds only above ground cemetery, I did a contract there a few years ago and rented a holiday house for about 8 weeks, I would have to agree with spike. - Beaches would be OK if they weren't chock full of people and the 2 hour commute to sydney in the traffic looks like hell, we would have to run into sydney to pick up supplies and materials quite a lot and would always try to avoid the commuters and get the drive done midday.

Would that mean it full of OAPs or just the life is very slow and quiet??
The slow quiet life is all good as grew up with that in South Africa and would happily return.

As for commute if the option to work on train is included in work hours then shoul dbe able to start early on train and finish early on train home.... So wouldn't be in the office that long. We are floating option of working a couple of long days and then short days nearer the weekend.

However this all might change when Helen has gone to look and decides that we should move closer.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jon77
Be very careful about moving to the Central Coast! It looks beautiful but this is misleading in many parts. There is real poverty on the Central Coast and it shows in many areas.

Many towns on the Central Coast have big social problems such as high unemployment, crime and drug issues. The train trip on the express train (bogan express) from the Central Coast reveals the Central Coast type well- teenage mothers, drunks swigging out of a bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag and hoons looking for trouble. I used to get that train every day and there were many occasions I didn't feel comfortable, always seem to end up being the one sat near the drunk who starts talking to you. The trains outside of the rush hours are the worst for this.

I would stick to Berowra to Hornsby and down through the northern suburbs or try the northern beaches from Palm Beach to Manly.

Thanks for the heads up. Will make a note of this.
The train sounds like one of the last trains out from London on a Frdai night but only in the morning haha

Will look into that as well. It just seems as you move closer ont he north side the prices seem to rises at a rate of knots!!!

As I have been looing around there are many people also suggest Sutherland Shire. Anyone have any thoughts on that area?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:18 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Sutherland shire is a great place to live with good beaches. It's a very white area apart from Brighton Rockville and Hurstville. Plenty to do with good access to the National park the Illawarra is a lovely area too. The Commute from Cronulla is approx 1 hr to the cbd trains are plentiful. Cronulla is expensive Gymea and Miranda are cheaper as is Sutherland and Jannalli
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by asher
Sutherland shire is a great place to live with good beaches. It's a very white area apart from Brighton Rockville and Hurstville. Plenty to do with good access to the National park the Illawarra is a lovely area too. The Commute from Cronulla is approx 1 hr to the cbd trains are plentiful. Cronulla is expensive Gymea and Miranda are cheaper as is Sutherland and Jannalli
Thanks for all that info. Yes it does look like trains do run a bit better that way then going up north. Will have a look in the areas mentioned. Thanks again for the info.

Rob
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:52 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I too would look at South Sydney more closely than any other part. Cronulla is the last train stop but it's such a great place with probably my favourite beach in all of Sydney. As mentioned it's an even hour to get downtown by train, though I do believe there are some slightly faster trains in the morning. If prices seem a bit high then Sutherland, perhaps? Either way, you cannot go wrong living in the Shire.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:58 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

We looked up as far as Woy Woy when we decided to head to the north shore from the inner west. We really only looked at areas on the train line, because of DH's commute to work. But some of his work colleagues live as far as Terrigal and drive down to Macquarie Park daily - not a nice commute in his opinion! Woy Woy in particular, for us, felt small, sleepy and, erm, not especially affluent - with all that entails. We opted to live further down the north shore train line, for the shorter commute and access to better schools for our children. On that point, have you found the myschool website? www.myschool.edu.au Obviously take it with a massive pinch of salt, but you can get an idea about an area from that website, before visiting yourself to make up your own mind.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour comes into contact with Central Coast people on a regular basis and they are very jealous of those who have come to Australia, seeing them as taking houses and jobs, and pricing them out of being able to afford to live in Northern Beaches/ North Shore areas. She says they have discriminated against and been thoroughly unpleasant towards her. Watch out for chips on the shoulders in a poorer area.

Berowra is ok and has regular trains- it is the end of the line, but has fewer trains outside rush hour. As others have said, try the Shire.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by astera
I too would look at South Sydney more closely than any other part. Cronulla is the last train stop but it's such a great place with probably my favourite beach in all of Sydney. As mentioned it's an even hour to get downtown by train, though I do believe there are some slightly faster trains in the morning. If prices seem a bit high then Sutherland, perhaps? Either way, you cannot go wrong living in the Shire.
Thanks and I have looked into it. There are more trains and yes it has the closeness to the coast we are looking for.
Cost is one thing we will factor in but it mightbe worth stretching a bit if possible to get what we want.

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.