Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Originally Posted by leftfield
It is about as funny as if Indigenious people went round with flags waving them at white australians saying "If you didn't like it how it was ***** off back to Europe"
I like that.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said, but ...

"I'm not really wining , its just i arrived here thinking everything would be the same as the UK apart from the weather"

Was that statement for real ... ?

If so, I'm sure before the emigration to Joondalup (that deep rooted historical Australian centre of heritage) you had to be one of the sausage, egg & chips brigade on the Costa's ... non?

I'm right aren't I ... ?

Gracias amigo,

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
OK, people who have lived in perth for a few years know all this stuff and have learned to deal with it probably so much so that its just part of normal day life..

but this thread is titled "IF YOUR COMING TO PERTH" and is aimed at people still in the UK who may have not yet visited Perth or even Australia ..much the same as myself and family before we started the immigration process...this is also the the reason i have put "£'s"

if someone is coming here and has read this thread,Maybe they wont order 4 large bags of popcorn in the cinema and have to chuck them away, or buy a 10 year old manual landrover freelander and be shocked they had to pay £6000 (+ stamp duty) for it (when it would have cost £1200 in the UK) and then not be able to sell it , 'cos no one wants it,

I have moved here from Dorset so am not used to 4 lane motorways which crawl along at 20kph and when you go to the beach your 3 year old isn't torn out of your hand by the undercurrent and you have to dive in to save them and then battle your way out of the water....

Yes shops in the city are open Sunday but most new settler pomms tend to live in either the far northern or southern suburbs as the £ doesn't stretch as far as it did

Dont get me wrong my family and I do love it here and sometimes have to edit our emails home so that it doesnt sound we are gloating too much about our new better lives ,

But there is an old saying forewarned is forearmed
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
:I love lack of street lighting. Means you don't have the light pollution that stuffs up the night sky - you can actually see stars up there.
Great, glad your happy, I would rather have street lights for practical reasons..e.g. I can see where I am going.

Originally Posted by Tableland
OK. Just going to say this:
Good. People that speed are toerags.
Not always, because vehicle speeds here in Australia are always defined as the number 1 killer on the road, the general driving public have bought into this. The real issue is the road design and the driving mentality here (look at the German Autobhan, it has less accidents than the roads here). I agree that people who speed here are a problem but if driving mentality was changed and new roads were designed better, less accidents would happen.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:00 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really surprised Jammie is getting such a slagging.

He has already said he loves it in Perth and was just commenting on things he's found to be different to the U.k.

As someone who has never been to Perth I find it very interesting.
It can sometimes be helpful to prepare yourself before arrival.

E.g If you are someone who likes to spend Sundays shopping in Lakeside (I'm not) then perhaps Perth suburbs will be a huge shock to you.

If you've spent your holidays paddling in Weymouth bay then you won't be used to deadly rips. In fact one poster on here sadly did lose her husband - he died saving his child.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:10 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Chairs, we're to backward for them

If I'm lucky I'm flat on my back looking up after my fourth glass of wine
Four glasses? It takes a lot more than that to lay you out. Four bottles more like
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:46 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I don't understand why the OP is being such a hard time. S/He is just giving his/her observations and isn't slagging off anyone.

Some people who have never been to Perth before may not be aware of some of this stuff. Lighten up.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

Exactly this site for open opinions and generalisations, don't we live in a society built on freedom of speech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time after time it's walking on eggshells, if you as much as mention the word PERTH on here, People will never see eye to eye and will always beg to differ.

Good on you Jamie have your fun and welldone for ruffling so many feather's,

Just remember some people know no better, staying in Perth will also do this to you, thus thinking all is normal three leggs
Also from Dorset what part Jamie?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:47 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I'm really surprised Jammie is getting such a slagging.

He has already said he loves it in Perth and was just commenting on things he's found to be different to the U.k.

As someone who has never been to Perth I find it very interesting.
It can sometimes be helpful to prepare yourself before arrival.

E.g If you are someone who likes to spend Sundays shopping in Lakeside (I'm not) then perhaps Perth suburbs will be a huge shock to you.

If you've spent your holidays paddling in Weymouth bay then you won't be used to deadly rips. In fact one poster on here sadly did lose her husband - he died saving his child.
Same old, same old. There are always greatly polarised opinions about Perth and surrounds. Most these discussions end with one of the following (please choose option....)
  • Perth is shix
  • Perth is great
  • Where did you come from you 'orrible little scummer?
  • Why don't you f off back there then?
  • Australia is great
  • No, Britain is great
  • No Australia is shiX
  • No Britiain is shix.....

and on and on and on.

PS I still think of that poster regularly.

Last edited by busterboy; Jun 18th 2008 at 8:58 am. Reason: dodgy grammar
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:50 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

sorry but I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth, I have to say JD, that whilst I understand that you're trying to point out some of the stuff that you wouldnt necessarily think to ask about ie salty popcorn (serves you right for eating the revolting stuff in the 1st place) your post I have to say is chock full of sweeping generalisations that arent true for everyone.
To imply the beaches here arent safe in perth is nonsense there are as many beautiful safe beaches here as any where else in oz-maybe more rips found NOR than SOR perhaps?-they are found everywhere-but hey read the signs on the beaches first that what they are there for thats what you would do wether you were in perth or east coast, besides, within 5 min drive of my home I have a beautiful safe family beach and 5mins in other direction a fab surfing beach.
Also having moved from within the M25 area to Perth your suggestion that the rush hour is 'a killer on the freeway' is frankly hilarious.
No gardens in Joondalup?-sorry to hear that mate- my kids have an immensly bigger garden here than we would ever have had in UK (as well as tons of safe parks to play in)
and you only found beige houses? what a shame they have no imagination in joodalup -sounds like you need to search a little further afield next time you buy perhaps.
My pool pretty much looks after itself with the cover and creepy crawly and occasional bag of salt it beats the hell out of trying to blow up a 3 ring inflatable I can tell ya!
Yes it does rain here but frankly anyone who thinks it doesnt needs to do a bit more researching! It doesnt matter that it rains here I like to think that in Perth we have proper seasons in spring summer its beautiful and warm/hot and in autumn it cools down but is still very pleasant then in winter it gets cooler and it rains-no problem- its not long before spring comes again.... anyway I just wanted to add my view on your useful thread
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:47 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
sorry but I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth, I have to say JD, that whilst I understand that you're trying to point out some of the stuff that you wouldnt necessarily think to ask about ie salty popcorn (serves you right for eating the revolting stuff in the 1st place) your post I have to say is chock full of sweeping generalisations that arent true for everyone.
To imply the beaches here arent safe in perth is nonsense there are as many beautiful safe beaches here as any where else in oz-maybe more rips found NOR than SOR perhaps?-they are found everywhere-but hey read the signs on the beaches first that what they are there for thats what you would do wether you were in perth or east coast, besides, within 5 min drive of my home I have a beautiful safe family beach and 5mins in other direction a fab surfing beach.
Also having moved from within the M25 area to Perth your suggestion that the rush hour is 'a killer on the freeway' is frankly hilarious.
No gardens in Joondalup?-sorry to hear that mate- my kids have an immensly bigger garden here than we would ever have had in UK (as well as tons of safe parks to play in)
and you only found beige houses? what a shame they have no imagination in joodalup -sounds like you need to search a little further afield next time you buy perhaps.
My pool pretty much looks after itself with the cover and creepy crawly and occasional bag of salt it beats the hell out of trying to blow up a 3 ring inflatable I can tell ya!
Yes it does rain here but frankly anyone who thinks it doesnt needs to do a bit more researching! It doesnt matter that it rains here I like to think that in Perth we have proper seasons in spring summer its beautiful and warm/hot and in autumn it cools down but is still very pleasant then in winter it gets cooler and it rains-no problem- its not long before spring comes again.... anyway I just wanted to add my view on your useful thread
Your post is very useful to those of us on our way over too
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:01 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
Traffic on the freeway is a killer in rush hour (6am-9am) - (4pm - 7pm) You have obviously never sat on the M25 or M20 or M2 at rush hour in the UK!!
and when they are clear you cant go over 100kph (about 60 mph) or you WILL get caught and fined by the police ...oh and all public holidays are double de-merit points.

Still not enough deterent for speeders or drink drivers!!!!

We all drive round in big gas guzzling 4.0L V6's but cant use them,...also all the roads are straight with loads of traffic lights, so driving is no fun at all!!

Don't have a gas guzzling 4.0L but i don't have any traffic lights on any of the roads i travel on to work!

the average wage in Perth is $70,000 (£35,000)

Can't comment on as i work in education so not average

When going to the Cinema Popcorn is salted ...take it or leave it!!

True!

house interiors of properties over 5 years old are beige thats the walls,floors,carpets,light fittings,bathroom suites, tiles and fittings and kitchens ....all beige

HUmmm.... my house wasnt beige....i obviously had a weird previous owner

Beaches are OK but dangerous ..you cant let small children in to paddle as the undercurrent from the "surf" will drag them under..

Habe you tried Rockingham Beach?

Houses...you ain't coming here mortgage free anymore!!

How can you say that?? you don't know what money people are coming with!

Swimming pools are hard work to keep up to scratch to the point that alot of people wouldn't have one so they add no value to a house.

My pool is not hard work?? we spend about 1 day a month on ours and no we don't have a pool man

You wont get much back garden for the kids to play in.

I have plenty of garden?? it depends on where you live!

Street lighting in residential areas is minimum as are footpaths...take the car!!

Good point!

Second hand cars are very expensive but buying new is cheaper than the UK.

All shops shut on Sunday....(except IGA and Bunnings)

Harbour town in Perth and Perth city centre is open sundays!

Petrol is 75p per Litre (but going up fast!!)

True

Broadband it limited, slow and expensive

I don't have a problem, ok not to Uk standards but its not that poor!

in the autumn and winter it does rain ..alot and is cold in the evenings..

yeap very true.....

summer is very hot but not humid so if you can get out of the sun it is not too uncomfortable..

yeap very true!.......

Aussie humour ...is great when taking the piss out of the brits but even a slight dig at anything Australian will have them muttering into their stubbies.

Dont' have any problems with the aussie humour.....must be that education thing again!

Time is not a concept....

Nope thats true....i have had everythign delivered within days of ordering it....plumber turned up on time and on the day asked (as did the electricitan)....new solar hot water beign fitted within 5 days of quote!

Not really winging ....i do like it here but was a bit surprised how backwards some things are.

I couldn't be bothered to read through all the post, but wanted to answer the orig post!

See above!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:04 pm
Happy migrant

Well I have just been offered a job in Perth so no turning back for me now
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:26 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have just been offered a job in Perth so no turning back for me now
Congrats - where if you don't mind me asking?
Tracey
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:59 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Congrats - where if you don't mind me asking?
Tracey
Hi Tracey - it's at Graylands hospital.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:06 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracey - it's at Graylands hospital.
Well with the all time spent "training" on here it should be a doddle to fit right in!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.