Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Originally Posted by stariston

As its not cheap repairing scratches to a porch.
I had terrible problems with possums and drop bears on the roof of my porch.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bcworld
I had terrible problems with possums and drop bears on the roof of my porch.
Just wonder if thay have em i n WA roofs that is Do you need em in
Queensland
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

I'm not really wining , its just i arrived here thinking everything would be the same as the UK apart from the weather,

I Just want to give people who are coming to Perth ? Australia the "Heads Up",

these are just my experiences so far in the 9 months i've been here

some more observations,

most cars seem to be automatics,wouldn't want a manual now!!

undertaking is the norm on the freeway,

we / they say "ON the weekend"

Ozzy rules is really quite good when you get into it

you can survive on a single average wage per family

you are not classed as "old" for being over 21

a UTE is a pickup truck

there are much less processed and microwave meals in the supermarkets
and the produce is mostly locally grown and caught (the fish is amazing)

you can get most things you want / need if not there is always eBay

Curry.....still not found a good takeaway

political correctness is not at the forefront of most peoples minds,

Perth has the largest IKEA in the southern hemisphere (shut sundays) as is toys R us

as someone said look at iinet for your broadband..we signed up for 2 years with bigpond at we need the internet to look for work....and it is pants!!!

a sausage sizzle is a hot dog.

Lay-bys, Rain checks and flybys happen in larger shops ......not sure what they are yet as don't do much shopping!! as i work 5 1/2 days a week

Last edited by JAMMIE DODGER; Jun 16th 2008 at 1:46 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:41 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
I'm not really wining , its just i arrived here thinking everything would be the same as the UK apart from the weather,

I lust want to give people who are coming to Perth ? Australia the "Heads Up",

these are just my experiences so far in the 9 months i've been here

some more observations,

most cars seem to be automatics,wouldn't want a manual now!!

undertaking is the norm on the freeway,

we/ they say "ON the weekend"

Ozzy rules is really quite good when you get into it

you can survive on a single average wage per family

you are not classed as "old" for being over 21

a UTE is a pickup truck

there are much less processed and microwave meals in the supermarkets
and the produce is mostly locally grown and caught (the fish is amazing)

you can get most things you want / need if not there is always eBay

Curry.....still not found a good takeaway

political correctness is not at the forefront of most peoples minds,

Perth has the largest IKEA in the southern hemisphere (shut sundays) as is toys R us

as someone said look at iinet for your broadband..we signed up for 2 years with bigpond at we need the internet to look for work....and it is pants!!!

a sausage sizzle is a hot dog.

Lay-bys, Rain checks and flybys happen in larger shops ......not sure what they are yet as don't do much shopping!! as i work 5 1/2 days a week
Why did you think it would be like the UK apart from the weather?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

as i had nothing to compare with...

we drive on the same side of the road, speak the same language, share a queen, both are great sporting nations etc etc etc

Last edited by JAMMIE DODGER; Jun 16th 2008 at 1:51 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 4:08 pm
Meow!

TigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud of

These types of threads amuse me! Well done JD, hehe!
How many bites? (Not 'puter ones!)

I dont have a gas guzzler....my hubby, yep, he has a ute and me, well.... after buying a manuel car here I sure wish I had an automatic.

Freeway is busy but then rush hour back in UK was just as bad at rush hour....

What the heck I like it here now! I do, I do, I do! I tell you what, has anyone else seen a sticker in a car which shows the map of Australia and in big letters it says "F**k off we're full"?? Omg, how bad/funny is that? No pc there is there!!

TF

Last edited by TigerFeet; Jun 16th 2008 at 4:09 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

All jokes aside ,Perth is Perth as isolated as it is from most places.
it cant be that bad. Desert isolation thay say. i guess with an international
Airport and Harbour you would not feel the isolation of the place

ps is there a porsche dealership in Perth yet as the front door needs
protecting from the rain
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:46 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

anyone mention it never stops raining here?
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:07 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Why did you think it would be like the UK apart from the weather?

In a way I can understand why some people who have never been to Perth or Australia would think that, same language etc.
So to get here and realise that it’s NOT the UK but with sunshine can but a bit of a shock.

To be honest I don’t think the OP is really whinging, just point out the differences that some who have never been before and think, like the OP, they are getting the UK with sunshine may not have thought of.

VIVA LA DIFFERNCE

(Although on cold wet weekends, it would be nice to have the shops open!!)
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Originally Posted by TigerFeet
What the heck I like it here now! I do, I do, I do! I tell you what, has anyone else seen a sticker in a car which shows the map of Australia and in big letters it says "F**k off we're full"?? Omg, how bad/funny is that? No pc there is there!!

TF
It is about as funny as if Indigenious people went round with flags waving them at white australians saying "If you didn't like it how it was ***** off back to Europe"
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Mandurah our shops are all open on Sundays during school holidays and from December through to the end of April. I am still trying to get used to the fact that supermarkets shut at 6pm every day except Thursdays though !

We have three beaches close by without rips too.

Funny how no one has mentioned the road signs.... or lack of them
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:33 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

as i had nothing to compare with...

we drive on the same side of the road, speak the same language, share a queen, both are great sporting nations etc etc etc
Your'e not whinging mate, just saying and seeing how it really is. Good post by the way. The weather here now does remind me of living in UK though,,brrrrrr!! lol
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:33 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

we / they say "ON the weekend"
I love this expression - all my kids news stories start with this and inevitably end with.............."and met my mum's friends in the pub" !
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

My god man I have only just seen this post and everything on it is exactly what I have noticed !
Me and you are on the same wavelengths
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:49 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Some of us can't even get broadband...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.