Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Old Jun 15th 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all
Default If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Traffic on the freeway is a killer in rush hour (6am-9am) - (4pm - 7pm)
and when they are clear you cant go over 100kph (about 60 mph) or you WILL get caught and fined by the police ...oh and all public holidays are double de-merit points.

We all drive round in big gas guzzling 4.0L V6's but cant use them,...also all the roads are straight with loads of traffic lights, so driving is no fun at all!!

the average wage in Perth is $70,000 (£35,000)

When going to the Cinema Popcorn is salted ...take it or leave it!!

house interiors of properties over 5 years old are beige thats the walls,floors,carpets,light fittings,bathroom suites, tiles and fittings and kitchens ....all beige

Beaches are OK but dangerous ..you cant let small children in to paddle as the undercurrent from the "surf" will drag them under..

Houses...you ain't coming here mortgage free anymore!!

Swimming pools are hard work to keep up to scratch to the point that alot of people wouldn't have one so they add no value to a house.

You wont get much back garden for the kids to play in.

Street lighting in residential areas is minimum as are footpaths...take the car!!

Second hand cars are very expensive but buying new is cheaper than the UK.

All shops shut on Sunday....(except IGA and Bunnings)

Petrol is 75p per Litre (but going up fast!!)

Broadband it limited, slow and expensive

in the autumn and winter it does rain ..alot and is cold in the evenings..

summer is very hot but not humid so if you can get out of the sun it is not too uncomfortable..

Aussie humour ...is great when taking the piss out of the brits but even a slight dig at anything Australian will have them muttering into their stubbies.

Time is not a concept....

Not really winging ....i do like it here but was a bit surprised how backwards some things are.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 10:58 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Pretty accurate.

What about the good points then?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:00 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

Small retail shops and chains are also open on Sundays.

I don't know if Farmer Jack's is still around, but there was one on Midvale that I found particularly useful for topping up the groceries on a Sunday.

This is true. Hutch has explained (in another thread) that it is because until very recently, Australia has been limited to a single broadband submarine cable, which comes from America. And as you'd expect, the Yanks charge a premium for its use. The cost of infrastructure development is another factor:

Why is broadband so damn expensive?
Australian users have to absorb the cost of building cross-pacific pipelines like the Southern Cross Cable (http://www.southerncrosscables.com/), which is in itself over 30 thousand kilometres of multi-core fibre optic cable. Even after the pipeline is built, Australian companies have to pay American networks for the ability to "plug in" to the internet.
Source.

It's the tyranny of distance. Things would be very different if Australia was conveniently located off the western coast of Europe. We could simply feed off the European network, like the Poms do now.

Alas, we are stuck with the Yanks - and still will be, even after the arrival of the new submarine pipeline this year.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jun 15th 2008 at 11:03 am.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

This is why I didn't go there
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Originally Posted by renth
Pretty accurate.

What about the good points then?
A lot of these could be counted as good points if measured against the rat-race 24/7 lifestyle of the UK..

hey how many people have a swimming pool to moan about in England?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
and when they are clear you cant go over 100kph (about 60 mph) or you WILL get caught and fined by the police ...oh and all public holidays are double de-merit points.

I think it's good that people who speed get caught. I also like that you can get breathalysed "anytime, anyplace". Speeding drivers and drink drivers are a danger to us all

We all drive round in big gas guzzling 4.0L V6's but cant use them,...also all the roads are straight with loads of traffic lights, so driving is no fun at all!!

why can't we use them? I do.

house interiors of properties over 5 years old are beige thats the walls,floors,carpets,light fittings,bathroom suites, tiles and fittings and kitchens ....all beige

Beaches are OK but dangerous ..you cant let small children in to paddle as the undercurrent from the "surf" will drag them under..

There are many, many safe beaches around or you can always head to the river where there are some beautiful spots e.g. Matilda Bay

Swimming pools are hard work to keep up to scratch to the point that alot of people wouldn't have one so they add no value to a house.

We have a pool man come in once a month for $55 and we sweep for leaves maybe 2/3 times a week.

Anything is better than the postage size stamp that we had in the UK.

Street lighting in residential areas is minimum as are footpaths...take the car!!

Agree, street lighting is appalling, however our street is lined by trees which blocks a lot of the light.

The CBD is open, Harbourtown is open and Garden City was open today(Sunday)

But still cheap!

OMG yes....I arrived last winter in July and almost left in August! The weather was terrible, which I can deal with but as for the housing. No central heating, no double glazing, little insulation. Needless to say we have bought a massive gas heater, various oil filled heaters and a few hot water bottles to keep us warm this winter. I had my North Face puffa jacket on today - brrrrrrrrr.

summer is very hot but not humid so if you can get out of the sun it is not too uncomfortable..

Aussie humour ...is great when taking the piss out of the brits but even a slight dig at anything Australian will have them muttering into their stubbies.

Depends if those Australians have travelled overseas or not. The Australians that I know are not like that.

True!

Not really winging ....i do like it here but was a bit surprised how backwards some things are.
I find it quite easy living here. Having lived in a number of other countries - Australia is great!

Galba
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

lele.juggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Cannot believe you are moaning about the traffic in Perth, we have been here a year and yet to see a traffic jam. yes the freeway at 8am is probably a bit iffy, but nothing like the UK. As regards shops being shut on Sunday - try the City or Freemantle - they are mostly open there. Cannot remember much more being open in England, in fact where we were - never had the option of what is available in the City and Freemantle!! I agree about the traffic lights being a bit of a bind, but all in all you can get anywhere in about 30mins max. Yes it does rain in Perth at this time of year, but nowhere near like it did in England, during the winter. Agree with what you say about the cold - did not expect that!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Straight roads with driving at sensible speeds, neutral colours in houses and a Mediterranean climate - sounds bliss to me!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by whitesand
Straight roads with driving at sensible speeds, neutral colours in houses and a Mediterranean climate - sounds bliss to me!
You sound like a radio 2 Terry Wogan listener to me

Old Jun 15th 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

I find our pool inexpensive to keep up to scratch, just take a sample to the pool shop about once a month and usually end up just throwing a bag of salt in and add a bit of acid and thats it. The creepy does all the cleaning so for about $20 a month no problem at all. A very cheap luxury
Old Jun 15th 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Are thay any closer to building that pub in Carramar yet seems there is
a massive shortage of R&R In the area making people easily wound up into coild springs
and easily snap at the least thing
Old Jun 15th 2008, 12:09 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like a radio 2 Terry Wogan listener to me

To use an old school ground addage, "takes one to know one".

I'm curious as to the point of your post. Some pretty sweeping generisations and clearly personal.

Is this the new Sunday night Perth troll?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Steve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really nice
Unhappy Re: If your coming to Perth..a few things i bet you dont realise

maaaan!! NO sweet popcorn? Thats just the pits.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Haha they are all true points jammie dodger – I used to live in Joondalup over there (my poor family still do).

One thing you forgot to mention, is how the whole state falls into panic when daylight savings comes around.

Mikey
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by stariston

Are thay any closer to building that pub in Carramar yet seems there is
a massive shortage of R&R In the area making people easily wound up into coild springs
and easily snap at the least thing

Last edited by Nu-Shooz; Jun 15th 2008 at 1:09 pm. Reason: duplicate...too slow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.