Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

If you are coming to OZ. Sunblock & Hat.

If you are coming to OZ. Sunblock & Hat.

Old Apr 17th 2018, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

shouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really nice
Default If you are coming to OZ. Sunblock & Hat.

A word of advice from a guy who works in an office, goes to the beach twice a year, does not play golf and thought he was careful. (I cycle and I run). I got skin cancer!!

Even if you are going to the shop, put on sun block and a hat.
Even if you are going to the park with your son for an hour, put on sun block and a hat.
Lunchtime stroll? Put on a hat and sun cream!
If you drive the car! Wear long sleeves . Protect your hands!! It gets ya!!

Winter Spring Autumn! You will get a belting hot day ever week. Not just summer!

Walking to the train station.....
You get the drift.

All the ads on the TV are about people down the beach. Most of us don’t live on Bondi and trips are rare (unless you love all that).
UV will get you going about your normal routine.

Listen I get lucky. I’ve had it cut out of my face and the rest of me seems ok. (Always wanted a beard)

Please don’t turn your adventure in OZ into a nightmare. Look after yourself. OZ is the best country in the world to live. Love it!!
Old Apr 17th 2018, 6:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you are coming to OZ. Sunblock & Hat.

Originally Posted by shouldistayorgo
A word of advice from a guy who works in an office, goes to the beach twice a year, does not play golf and thought he was careful. (I cycle and I run). I got skin cancer!!

Even if you are going to the park with your son for an hour, put on sun block and a hat.

Winter Spring Autumn! You will get a belting hot day ever week. Not just summer!

You get the drift.

All the ads on the TV are about people down the beach. Most of us don’t live on Bondi and trips are rare (unless you love all that).

Listen I get lucky. I’ve had it cut out of my face and the rest of me seems ok. (Always wanted a beard)

Please don’t turn your adventure in OZ into a nightmare. Look after yourself. OZ is the best country in the world to live. Love it!!
Its just as big an issue at home as it is here these days.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 7:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention the vitamin D deficiency associated with being constantly covered. Most GPs I know recommend 15-20 minutes per day of sunlight for the vitamin D benefit.

Sorry about the skin cancer. I had one removed from my face 12 years ago - after living in Canada for 40 years beforehand.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 7:48 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You get the drift.

Huge ouch factor there, getting a (I'm presuming) basal cell carcinoma cut out of your face is no fun, so commiserations.

Thanks for reinforcing the warning to Slip, Slop, Slap (slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat). It's true that some people arriving from colder countries still underestimate the damage exposure to the Oz sun can do.

In the case of the most invasive type of skin cancer, melanoma, Australia has the highest incidence in the world with one person dying from melanoma every 5 hours.

Thanks again for posting of your experience on the forum and helping to inform new arrivals to Oz.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

shouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really nice

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Huge ouch factor there, getting a (I'm presuming) basal cell carcinoma cut out of your face is no fun, so commiserations.

Thanks for reinforcing the warning to Slip, Slop, Slap (slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat). It's true that some people arriving from colder countries still underestimate the damage exposure to the Oz sun can do.

In the case of the most invasive type of skin cancer, melanoma, Australia has the highest incidence in the world with one person dying from melanoma every 5 hours.

Thanks again for posting of your experience on the forum and helping to inform new arrivals to Oz.
Thanks very much for your endorsement. People need to know that sunshine is a massive health issue out here.
I love seeing that blue sky! But it comes with a price, UV.
Please take care fellow adventurers! Xx
Old Apr 17th 2018, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I think genes and how we metabolize sun light as well skin type are factors. Nothing pleasant getting on the wrong end of skin cancer, and indeed have known a number in Australia that have had it. We do have the worlds highest incidence I believe perhaps not surprising considering the Anglo Celtic make up of the nation historically. Still I knew an Indian fellow, of Tamil ethnicity that got it here in Perth and he was of very dark complexion.

One should not over look the health and healing properties of the sun though. It has many positive features that out weigh to my thinking the possible negatives.

It has been shown to prevent other cancers. Importantly it is good for mood and well being. It has been shown to help fight depression as well as good for bone strength, especially important in the age.
Lowers blood pressure as well. That alone is very important for overall health.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I think genes and how we metabolize sun light as well skin type are factors. Nothing pleasant getting on the wrong end of skin cancer, and indeed have known a number in Australia that have had it. We do have the worlds highest incidence I believe perhaps not surprising considering the Anglo Celtic make up of the nation historically. Still I knew an Indian fellow, of Tamil ethnicity that got it here in Perth and he was of very dark complexion.

One should not over look the health and healing properties of the sun though. It has many positive features that out weigh to my thinking the possible negatives.

It has been shown to prevent other cancers. Importantly it is good for mood and well being. It has been shown to help fight depression as well as good for bone strength, especially important in the age.
Until there is an accurate test on detecting people who are at a higher risk then I’d advise that you err on the side of caution and slip slot slap (every single day and not just for the beach or camping trips).
Don’t risk it.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour

I don't think it helps anyone with depression and certainly doesn't lower blood pressure in a good way. You'll actually find that a lot more people die from the heat (especially older people) when the sun is too strong.

It's also a mentality thing and being in a forest surrounded by nature can be better for mental health, although the trees block the sun. A lot of depressed people live in cities, even if the sun shines every day.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Until there is an accurate test on detecting people who are at a higher risk then I’d advise that you err on the side of caution and slip slot slap (every single day and not just for the beach or camping trips).
Don’t risk it.
I have to agree with troubadour for once. Some people just luck out.

I will slip slop slap for extended periods in sun but that's about it. I have fairish skin. Nothing as yet in the way of nasties. Wife has an olive complexion, puts cream on every day, avoids direct sun, and has had a nasty removed before it spread.

You need some sun exposure to be healthy.

Sorry to hear about your scare.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Oz for most of my life, and I can't think of one family member over 40 who hasn't had at least one, usually multiple, skin cancers. Come to think of it, I can't think of many friends in that age group who haven't. 'Just going for my skin check' is no more remarkable than 'just going to the shop for some milk'.

Obviously sunlight has benefits, and it has dangers. People don't have to choose one or the other - it doesn't have to be a choice between no sun protection and every inch of skin covered.

Even putting on some skin moisturiser with at least SPF 15 to exposed areas as you go about your day to day life will provide some protection from developing skin cancer down the track. It is optional rather than law though, so there's not really anything to argue about
Old Apr 17th 2018, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about your news and hope all will be well for you. Even living in the Uk from being a young age we always used a sun protector, in Aus we did not go below a 30+, we are outdoorsy more than sun worshippers but you still have to be careful. Our sons Primary school use to have wide brimmed hats as well which helps but at high school students did not need to wear a hat which is madness especially at an age where a "tan" is cool to have to some. All the best
Old Apr 18th 2018, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t risk it.
Never slip slot slap in my life and well over forty, I'm afraid, apart from the very occasional cream on nose, which tends to burn after excessive sun exposure, especially if in water.

I wouldn't begin to tell some one what they should or shouldn't do, but me I cannot abide by sticky creams on the body. What I do though, is slowly adapt each summer by increasing exposure over time and always tan up without trying. I am of olive complexion, so expects that helps, and have been in the sun (apart from winters in Europe) since a child. Be that in the Asian tropics, Africa or Australia. The sun certainly provokes a feeling of better health, feeling lighter both in body and mind.

Peoples fear of sun exposure has induced in Australia illness not usually associated with hot countries.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I don't think it helps anyone with depression and certainly doesn't lower blood pressure in a good way. You'll actually find that a lot more people die from the heat (especially older people) when the sun is too strong.

It's also a mentality thing and being in a forest surrounded by nature can be better for mental health, although the trees block the sun. A lot of depressed people live in cities, even if the sun shines every day.

Well I am afraid you are in error. Sunshine has certainly been shown to alleviate ,mental illness. It is during the long cold, grey months of never ending winter and minimal sun light that provokes mental illness. It is called SAD. (I think that is the English acronym)

AS for forest and nature, in the Nordic world, this is in abundance. But in this same world many, many people suffer from the sun depravation that develops into a illness.

I agree in principle though, nature is a great healer of the mind, body and soul and too devoid in modern day living where most life in ever expanding, crashed up cities that can entice very negative outcomes in many people, but another subject entirely.

The sun is far kinder to ageing bones as well. Just ask all those pensioners from the cold northern world that have moved from colder climes to Southern Europe or Thailand or other hot destinations . Many flourish to an extend probably unimaginable, if remained in own countries.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine also helps new born babies suffering from jaundice.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

I've just found out that many sunscreens have lots of nasties in them. Most of them. Not good if you're applying and re-applying every day. There are quite a few that are 'safe'. Google Safer Sunscreens Cheat Sheet for more info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.