Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IELT Test What's it like?

IELT Test What's it like?

Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

beachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the rough
Default IELT Test What's it like?

I've discovered that I will need to take the academic version of the IELT test. Just wondered how people found the test - hard/easy? How many marks do you need to score a 7.0? I've looked on the internet for sample papers and some of it seems ok but I'm worried about how long the test is.

Is it only 60 mins for all components - reading, writing and speaking and listening?

What kind of questions do they ask for the speaking and listening part?

How long does it take for the results to come back?

How long are the results valid for?

Any useful books or websites with sample papers?

Thanks!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELT Test What's it like?

If you are a native speaker, the listening and speaking parts are extremely straightforward. The tape, which is usually a conversation between two people is played in very small sections and as long as you are listening and not day dreaming I cannot imagine how it could present any difficulties to a native.

Likewise for the speaking part, it is just a little chat and at one point they will give you a topic to speak about for one minute; mine was "tell me about the last book you read" and I talked about Harry Potter for a minute.

I did the general IELTS but I did look at academic IELTS reading and writing sections and had the academic text book, I definitely recommend lots of practice for these two sections.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Bermuda's post above.

Just to add...

- Its worth getting a practice book so you understand the format, there is little instruction on the day

- It takes two weeks for the results to come back

- An example I remember from my speaking exam was "is it a good idea to eat vegetables"

- Make sure you write the required number of words for the writing, I rambled but its not so much the content than the grammar they are checking

- The listening, reading & writing are about 30 mins each, then you get an appointment for the speaking, mine was about 4 hours later

I was better at Maths & Science than English at school but only dropped half a point (writing), and I thought my written part looked awful. The whole thing "feels" like a school exam.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by freebo
Agree with Bermuda's post above.

Just to add...

- Its worth getting a practice book so you understand the format, there is little instruction on the day

- It takes two weeks for the results to come back

- An example I remember from my speaking exam was "is it a good idea to eat vegetables"

- Make sure you write the required number of words for the writing, I rambled but its not so much the content than the grammar they are checking

- The listening, reading & writing are about 30 mins each, then you get an appointment for the speaking, mine was about 4 hours later

I was better at Maths & Science than English at school but only dropped half a point (writing), and I thought my written part looked awful. The whole thing "feels" like a school exam.

Yep hubby has to agree he took just the normal IELTS 3 times and still failed. The examiner said it is not a test designed for natives. We got to Aus by State Sponsorship in the end.
We have a Japanese friend (lives in UK coming to Aus) who was educated in Japan and took English Grammar, so understands and speaks very good english, has been in for Academic twice whilst attending evening classes and has still not passed, they have Visa but she needs for work purposes, so not good at present.
Don't want to be a scaremonger but it's not a piece of cake as many would think!

Good luck
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Do a search - lots of info.

Its not 'easy' but if your a native speaker you should obviously be able to pass. Looking at your post think you'll be fine. Just concentrate during the whole thing. Innit
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future

I failed my first test, got 6.5 on the reading.
It is strange they are very strict in how they act with you in the exam rooms, doing my degree was easier.

My tips are:

Listening - easy, just don't day dream else you will miss something, but the questions are infront of you so you know what you are listening out for.

Reading - I found this the hardest test, just read the text over and over again then look at the questions and double check the text before answering

Writing - Quite easy, just watch your punctuation and spelling, don't try to be too cleaver.

Speaking - not a problem if you are native English speaking, it is a chat.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

beachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all your thoughts! On my skills assessment guidelines it says that I need to score a 7.0 with the academic version but I think this is only if you haven't studied in the UK.

However, I think I will still need to submit my IELTS results for my state sponsorship, but I'm not sure if the state sponsorship will expect the academic version, any ideas anyone? Obviously, I'd prefer to do the general one if I can still score a 7.0 on it.

Thanks!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachlady
Thanks for all your thoughts! On my skills assessment guidelines it says that I need to score a 7.0 with the academic version but I think this is only if you haven't studied in the UK.

However, I think I will still need to submit my IELTS results for my state sponsorship, but I'm not sure if the state sponsorship will expect the academic version, any ideas anyone? Obviously, I'd prefer to do the general one if I can still score a 7.0 on it.

Thanks!
If your skills assessment says that they want Academic 7.0 then there is not usually an exemption for UK applicants. I expect you have to do it same as everyone else, I know nurses and accountants do anyway, not sure which other occupations have the IELTS requirement.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bermudashorts,

My skills assessment says either show evidence of one year full time study for initial teacher training or the academic version of the IELTS. I'm thinking that this means I can choose between the two and use my PGCE as proof of English lanuage proficiency, does that sound right? I hope the one year means an academic year rather than 12 months because it's not clear about that, and as an academic year is usually September-July, that doesn't technically cover a whole year.

Am I right in thinking that with the state sponsorship, you can take the general test? As part of my SA state sponsorship, I'll need to score a 7.0 for my profession (it doesn't say whether it should be academic or general, it just says 7.0).

Last edited by beachlady; Jan 12th 2011 at 7:06 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by beachlady
Hi Bermudashorts,

My skills assessment says either show evidence of one year full time study for initial teacher training or the academic version of the IELTS. I'm thinking that this means I can choose between the two and use my PGCE as proof of English lanuage proficiency, does that sound right? I hope the one year means an academic year rather than 12 months because it's not clear about that, and as an academic year is usually September-July, that doesn't technically cover a whole year.

Am I right in thinking that with the state sponsorship, you can take the general test? As part of my SA state sponsorship, I'll need to score a 7.0 for my profession (it doesn't say whether it should be academic or general, it just says 7.0).
I don't know about teaching, I don't recall a teacher mentioning that they did IELTS recently. I am sure you can clear this up easily with a quick note to Teaching Australia or whatever the skills assessing body is.

The states are usually asking for general IELTS, if it does not specify they want academic then I think it is safe to assume general is OK.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bermudashorts!

I had a feeling that if it didn't say academic that it must mean general. I'll contact the assessing authority for teaching and find out about the one year study length.