Idiots guide

Old Sep 15th 2017, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

rachel.jackson.1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Idiots guide

Hello,

My partner and I are looking at moving to Australia once I finish my nursing degree but honestly haven't got a clue where to start! I've been googling for weeks but still none the wiser. Is there an idiots guide or website anyone can recommend which gives you the basics and first steps? Or is there anyone who has already moved from the UK in a similar field willing to chat on facebook or similar to answer all my silly questions?
I need to know literally everything! Appreciate any help or advice.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 11:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Idiots guide

Originally Posted by rachel.jackson.1986
Hello,

My partner and I are looking at moving to Australia once I finish my nursing degree but honestly haven't got a clue where to start! I've been googling for weeks but still none the wiser. Is there an idiots guide or website anyone can recommend which gives you the basics and first steps? Or is there anyone who has already moved from the UK in a similar field willing to chat on facebook or similar to answer all my silly questions?
The two websites you need to read are Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection to find out about which visas you are eligible for and www.ahpra.gov.au to find out about nursing registration.

Start with those then come back with more specific questions!
Old Sep 16th 2017, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Cairnstony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rachel.jackson.1986
Hello,

Welcome to the boards!

Speaking as a UK nurse who emigrated in 2007, a lot will depend on your personal circumstances as to how you want to approach the whole career angle here.

As luck would have it, state-wide nurse registration ended a few years back so now Ahpra has been ushered into existence in a rare fit of logic by our illustrious Federal government which means that once you become registered as a nurse here, this registration is recognised nationwide. Believe you me this was not the case when I came here and caused me no end of problems...

You will need Ahpra registration before you can legally practice as a Registered Nurse in Australia.

In the experiences of the many British nurses I have worked with or spoken to, and in my own personal experience, UK nurses are generally highly regarded here. That's not to say that you can just swan in and expect everything to be as smooth as a nut mind... you will have the same hassles of having to jump through emigration hoops as everyone else and you can experience the usual hassles in the work place.

I'd say pin down where you want to move to and start making enquiries as to work availability in that region. Nurse shortages do vary nationwide and some areas simply aren't recruiting. Other regions such as here in the Cairns mental health unit where I work are experiencing extreme shortages. The job situation is in constant flux.

Other members are experts on the various visa programmes currently available and I'm confident will help you out in those areas.

Speaking personally, I was limited as to where I could apply, mainly due to my age but came to Cairns which is one of the regions that was recruiting at the time. I earn a good wage, have a great work life balance and, whilst I wouldn't say it has all been plain sailing by any means, feel more valued as a nurse here than I ever did in the UK; but then others may feel differently. Talk to expat nurses if you can- everyone's experience with the work culture here is different.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 3:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

This thread on the Australian Immi page might be handy for when you're down the track a bit, once you've received AHPRA approval in principle you need to present at an AHPRA office within 3 months, not 12 months as was previously the case. Best of luck with your research and plans.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...months-889862/
Old Sep 16th 2017, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Cairnstony is an unknown quantity at this point

FTR before I moved here I had everything else sorted: job offer, visa sponsorship, movers organised, all things tidied up at the UK end, flight booked etc, except my nurse rego. It took four months to come through, but that was then... I contacted my future employees here in Aus and told them I couldn't make the start date. I ended up delaying the start of my employment by a full two months. Fortunately they were very flexible and were prepared to wait.

In essence... once you have your research sorted on the various aspects of moving here, check with Ahpra on current average waiting times for processing new registrations. Regardless of whether it is really quick right now or not so much, you will need that information to factor in when to apply, because as stated, as soon as it comes through you have three months to present at the other end. Unless you can afford to do a flying trip there and back before making the actual move, you will need to factor this into your plans.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 8:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP is hoping to get an independent skills visa (undoubtedly the best route) they also need to see if they can pass the skills assessment at ANMAC first. I'm not sure what the requirements are experience-wise for that.

AHPRA can be much longer than 4 months- there may be some recent timelines in the nursing forum. They are fiddly and pedantic to deal with, and thats on a good day!