Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I went to Oz for a holiday

I went to Oz for a holiday

Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:59 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
PS. Click here.
That's a really good thread you linked to there Vash - just about sums EVERYTHING up. Some people seem to have a bad experience of somewhere/decide it's not the place for them and seem to want to 'warn' everyone else off - 'don't even think about coming here, this is wrong and that's crap' etc., etc...

At the end of the day everywhere on earth can be absolutely amazing and everywhere on earth can be absolutely crap, all at the same time to different people. I do like reading threads like this one - getting a 'balanced views' form both sides of the fence etc., but the negative comments will never put me off making the move. There seems to be lots of people who are in situations/places they have decided they don't like and want to make it their lifes work to put it down, whereas the other people who are really enjoying themselves and know they have made the right move are out actually enjoying their life rather than waffling on this forum all the time!!

Graham
Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
That's a really good thread you linked to there Vash - just about sums EVERYTHING up.
Thanks

I do like reading threads like this one - getting a 'balanced views' form both sides of the fence etc., but the negative comments will never put me off making the move.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:51 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be lots of people who are in situations/places they have decided they don't like and want to make it their lifes work to put it down, whereas the other people who are really enjoying themselves and know they have made the right move are out actually enjoying their life rather than waffling on this forum all the time!!Graham
Silly comment. There's equally a huge number of people on both sides of the camp who have never heard of this forum.

In a democracy people are free to express their opinons (including you), so perhaps we can all respect that fact without slagging anyone or their opinon off (as long as it isn't personally abusive).
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Its a big country with a lot of diversity but summer and flies go together here like peas in a pod unless you head down to Tassie maybe
I recall a few days a year in Melly where I do the aussie salute.

And in the outback in NSW, and SW WA it was bad. But can't claim to see flies everywhere and often at all.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:08 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I recall a few days a year in Melly where I do the aussie salute.

And in the outback in NSW, and SW WA it was bad. But can't claim to see flies everywhere and often at all.
Flies are a real problem in summer if you are walking down the street and yes Perth is terrible for the buggars. They are attracted to the moisture on your face, but if you are in an aircon car and only nipping out from the car to teh mall, you will most likely not encounter them. Try a half hour walk in the daytime during summer. You will soon get the feel of it
Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:10 pm

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Silly comment. There's equally a huge number of people on both sides of the camp who have never heard of this forum.

In a democracy people are free to express their opinons (including you), so perhaps we can all respect that fact without slagging anyone or their opinon off (as long as it isn't personally abusive).
Sorry, I'm not quite with you - not sure what's 'silly' about my comment I also wasn't trying to slag anyone, or their opinion, off.

I'm just trying to say that I love Manchester (but I know people who don't), I don't like London (but I know people who do), I love sprouts :scared: (but I know LOTS of people who don't) etc., etc...

I see lots and lots of negative stuff on here about Oz and I think that some people actually decide not to make the move based on what they read here, which is sad. What I'm also trying to say is that some peoples posts are almost entirely 'don't come to Oz' type posts, like they think they're a lighthouse warning people off the rocks in order to save them the ordeal of migrating. It would be a waste of time and money if they did right? 'Normal' threads about whatever get 'hijacked' and turned into a 'Oz is crap' thread. Sometimes I find these posts to be quite aggressive in their tone - 'I'm right, you're wrong' sort of thing. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any negative posts, of course not - that's ridiculous. Some people have bad experiences and we (I) want to hear these, I'm not blinkered and I've not got rose tinted specs on. Like I said in my original 'silly' post, at the end of the day everywhere on earth can be absolutely amazing and everywhere on earth can be absolutely crap, all at the same time to different people.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit.

Graham
Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:11 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Flies are a real problem in summer if you are walking down the street and yes Perth is terrible for the buggars. They are attracted to the moisture on your face, but if you are in an aircon car and only nipping out from the car to teh mall, you will most likely not encounter them. Try a half hour walk in the daytime during summer. You will soon get the feel of it
Or try fixing a fence or slashing a field, or fixing a water pipe. There not such a problem now since I bought my bee keepers hat!! It's got a mesh net all over it. Only problem comes now is when one of them gets inside the hat!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by arkon
Or try fixing a fence or slashing a field, or fixing a water pipe. There not such a problem now since I bought my bee keepers hat!! It's got a mesh net all over it. Only problem comes now is when one of them gets inside the hat!
LOL Open wide!!

Graham
Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:29 pm
Banned

Sorry, I'm not quite with you - not sure what's 'silly' about my comment I also wasn't trying to slag anyone, or their opinion, off.

I'm just trying to say that I love Manchester (but I know people who don't), I don't like London (but I know people who do), I love sprouts :scared: (but I know LOTS of people who don't) etc., etc...

I see lots and lots of negative stuff on here about Oz and I think that some people actually decide not to make the move based on what they read here, which is sad. What I'm also trying to say is that some peoples posts are almost entirely 'don't come to Oz' type posts, like they think they're a lighthouse warning people off the rocks in order to save them the ordeal of migrating. It would be a waste of time and money if they did right? 'Normal' threads about whatever get 'hijacked' and turned into a 'Oz is crap' thread. Sometimes I find these posts to be quite aggressive in their tone - 'I'm right, you're wrong' sort of thing. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any negative posts, of course not - that's ridiculous. Some people have bad experiences and we (I) want to hear these, I'm not blinkered and I've not got rose tinted specs on. Like I said in my original 'silly' post, at the end of the day everywhere on earth can be absolutely amazing and everywhere on earth can be absolutely crap, all at the same time to different people.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit.

Graham
Well Graham this is actually a great post! Very informative and gives us a bit of insight into your thinking/reasoning.

On reflection I think the term 'silly' was meant to refer to the idea that only negative posters visited the site while positve ones were too busy living life. It's not that cut and dry/simple/correct.

What annoys me personally is when people who have never visited a city or lived in it for a few days/ weeks/months suddenly set themselves up as experts on the bloody place.

Everything seems rosy when we plan a big move (and we want so much for it to be so), or have been there for the first 6mths or year or so. It's a different kettle of fish when we have done 5 or 10 yrs there.

Some parts of OZ are great. I just don't consider Perth to be in that category and as I have lived here for several years (leaving as soon as I finish my
studies, and travelled to and lived in different parts of the world), I feel somewhat qualified to comment.

Thanks for your thought out reply
Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:34 pm
Banned

LOL Open wide!!

Graham
Oh Yuk! That reminds me of when I swallowed one of the blighters, just walking to the shops It felt awful!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 12:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

What annoys me personally is when people who have never visited a city or lived in it for a few days/ weeks/months suddenly set themselves up as experts on the bloody place.

Everything seems rosy when we plan a big move (and we want so much for it to be so), or have been there for the first 6mths or year or so. It's a different kettle of fish when we have done 5 or 10 yrs there.
Hear, bloody hear!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
What do you expect? It's so damn dull...

Fascinating if you're a botanist. Otherwise it's just consistently dull. As the US astronauts used to refer to it as "the boring brown country".

So, you're now shooting yourself in the foot by arguing that the Aborigines did have the land illegally taken from them.

I PMSL when Oz tries to take the moral high ground. This is the country that didn't even give Aborigines the vote until ~65 years after Federation and has been severely criticised by the UN for its treatment of asylum seekers...
With all due respect, I may recall you were a resident here for 12 odd years, maybe taken out citizenship in this time.

Aren't you being a tad hypocritical in your view on you're views on the treatment of aborigines and also with regard to asylum seekers.

I may add that australia's asylum seeker policy is as good as it gets. Oz does accept it's fair share of people seeking asylum legally. What it does not do, unlike the UK and Europe, is accept economic migrants or such posing as asylum seekers.Thus they take a hardline stance and shuts it's border ( coast guard) to combat it. Better security measures in place unlike the countries of europe.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 1:34 pm

Well Graham this is actually a great post! Very informative and gives us a bit of insight into your thinking/reasoning.

On reflection I think the term 'silly' was meant to refer to the idea that only negative posters visited the site while positve ones were too busy living life. It's not that cut and dry/simple/correct.

Some parts of OZ are great. I just don't consider Perth to be in that category and as I have lived here for several years (leaving as soon as I finish my
studies, and travelled to and lived in different parts of the world), I feel somewhat qualified to comment.

Thanks for your thought out reply
Cheers and I agree with you (although I can't comment on Perth). I lived in Melbourne for over a year and have been back a couple of times for hols etc. since. I don't consider myself an 'expert' on Melbourne - far from it (although, from our brief time in Melbourne we absolutely LOVED it - fantastic city (IMO LOL! )). It's impossible to make life changing decisions on a 'recce' trip/holiday, which is what Millymog seems to have done. Others seem to go to Oz without EVER having been there - can't quite get my head around that, but there you go.

As I mentioned, I've never been to Perth, some people seem to love it but you've obviously had a bad time of it and can't wait to escape!!! I'm guessing you're fairly young (please correct me if I'm wrong!) and maybe there's just not enough going on for you?? Where is it you're planning to go when you finish your course? Think I have read it somewhere but have forgotten....
I'm sure some people have lived in Perth for a long time and love it, then there's people such as yourself who are the opposite, but I'm sure this is the case for just about every city/country on earth. Everyone's different and looking for different things...

Cheers,

Graham
Old Apr 9th 2006, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millymog
Also i did find Adelaide city very much like any city ive been to. Built up and full of fast food chains, bars, shopping centres, just like London and i dont like London either lol

Maybe i was just waiting for the "Australian experience" of seeing Koalas and kangaroos and the awesome feeling but i didnt
Why did you only go to Adelaide then? I can't imagine going to Australia on holiday and not going to Sydney or the Barrier Reef.

Can you imagine an Ozzie coming all the way to the UK but only going to Slough or Sheffield?

I must admit I have never heard of anyone not liking Australia, it may not be the best place to live for everyone but for holidays it is great
Old Apr 9th 2006, 2:45 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kiwichild]

So how long would you say you have to live in a place to be classed as 'qualified' to comment? I don't class myself an expert on Perth (or indeed anything) but in my thread about being here for a year, I told what it is like for me and how I have found it. I have lived that, so I would say I am qualified to comment on that, rather than being seen as an 'expert'. There are 'bad' things I don't like about Perth, nowhere is perfect, but they are minor things and don't detract from the whole picture (and I don't need to wash all my linen in public ) Alright, you don't like Perth or anything about it - you have made that quite clear. If you really hate it that much surely you can change uni's and go somewhere else?

Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.