Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I went to Oz for a holiday

I went to Oz for a holiday

Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by <")))><
Now now, Vash.

"An opinion shared is a burden halved." from the BE handbook
More like "An opinion shared is a load of cobblers doubled" in Arkon's case.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede
As WendyC correctly says, there's a difference to visiting a place and living in it.[/QUOTE]

I was being a tad sarcastic in quoting ALL the "Oz is sh1t" people.

I've just read something on the returning to the UK forum, and I have to say it sums it all up for me.

It says

......but im glad i gave it a go because more important, or the essence of all thats above, is ive been looking in the wrong place for something. i need to look to MYSELF and be responsible for what I CAN do to make me content, not travel round the world to the same sh*t, different bucket
This is why I feel I'll be OK, cos I'm not traveling round the world on some kind of mission for a better life. I'm going because the opportunity is there and it feels like the right thing for us. If I'm wrong then fine, but I won't be unhappy because of the price of lettuce, how many flies there is or even how hot it is. I will be happy wherever I am, and accept things as being different.

If I ever get to the point where I hate Australia then I may return to the UK BUT only if it feels right to do so. If not then onwards and upwards and all that !! The world is a big place after all
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

When my me and hubby came for our 2 weeks holiday come have a looky, we stayed in Chester Hill (quite rought apparently)for the first week with some relatives who I had never met and hubby some only once (brill of them). We just didn't like it at all to live and decided to make the most of the holiday and stay in the UK. Can't actully put my finger on what we didn't like. We then moved on up to the central coast to stay with some other cousins, again we had never met. We loved it there and decided this was the place for us and the move was back on, we have been living here for a year now and still love it, our Chester Hill rellies have moved up here as well so we have quite a good family network although they are a lot older than us.

One person's paradise is someone else's hell.

Jo
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:59 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
As WendyC correctly says, there's a difference to visiting a place and living in it.
...which is precisely why I described the original posters comments as a crock, semantics withstanding or not.

Anyone who offers advice on expatriation (most read by those eagerly awaiting their visas or in the process of applying) based on an unimaginative trip to Adelaide, clearly thinks more of their opinion than anyone else does. Let them stand in front of a group and do the same - they'd look a fool, so perhaps the anonymity of a web forum shields that embarassment.

Also, opinions can change overnight, places don't tend to. During the long wait for the visa, I was on here every day reading other peoples' experiences because somehow I felt it brought me one step closer each day, knowing a bit more.

Well, it doesn't. You form your own opinions at the end of the day. Those are the opinions that count.

Australia - home if YOU want it to be.

Another entertaining evening on BE.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 2:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Funny that, because I live in NSW (like you) and none of them are true for where I live.
The flies are

G
Old Apr 8th 2006, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
The flies are

G
No, they're not. None of our doors or windows are screened. We might get a few flies in the kitchen (up to half a dozen) when I'm cooking for 3-4 weeks in the height of the summer. Nothing unbearable and nothing that a well-aimed fly swatter won't fix.

We eat outside with no trouble at all.

Living on top of a hill with plenty of sea breezes probably helps.

We don't get any mozzies or spiders either - however cockroaches are another story... :scared:
Old Apr 8th 2006, 2:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
No, they're not. None of our doors or windows are screened. We might get a few flies in the kitchen (up to half a dozen) when I'm cooking for 3-4 weeks in the height of the summer. Nothing unbearable and nothing that a well-aimed fly swatter won't fix.

We eat outside with no trouble at all.

Living on top of a hill with plenty of sea breezes probably helps.

We don't get any mozzies or spiders either - however cockroaches are another story... :scared:
They certainly were bad when I stayed in North Bondi a few months ago and when we walked round the art by the sea display. Even the locals were complaining.

We nearly got eaten alive on South heads :scared:

G
Old Apr 8th 2006, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Good point. I think the poster was perhaps a bit overwhelmed by their experience, but they at least have forewarned travellers who come here in summer lol
Is there a 'Going back to New Zealand' forum? Your comments would certainly be valued there.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by millymog
My advise is to people, take a good look at where you are thinking of going BEFORE you embark on this long mission of getting accepted. The grass isnt always greener on the other side.
Good post, best to see it first.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 2:49 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Okay, so the OP came, saw, wasn't impressed. That's her right. But if she disliked it so much, I gather she won't be emigrating..................so what the hell is she doing spouting her nonsense on an Expats site?
Old Apr 8th 2006, 2:52 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
"Visited four" - what did that entail, exactly?

I've visited at least a dozen counties; does that make me an expert on the UK?

As WendyC correctly says, there's a difference to visiting a place and living in it.
no it doesnt make you an expert on the uk at all but it will be enough for you to form a general opinion ,after all those that are migrating to australia cant possibly have lived in every street in every town but they can form an opinion enough to justify a lifetime change such as migration just as those returning to the uk cant have lived in every street in every town of australia .We are really talking generalisations australians in general live in cities that would looked through european eyes seem soul less ,where generally aussies tend to think all brits are sardined in to rows of terraced houses and using each others bath water .
Old Apr 8th 2006, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Okay, so the OP came, saw, wasn't impressed. That's her right. But if she disliked it so much, I gather she won't be emigrating..................so what the hell is she doing spouting her nonsense on an Expats site?
Trying to cause trouble maybe or thinks that because they didn't like it no-one else will, so we should all stay in the UK and not bother.....
Old Apr 8th 2006, 2:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Maybe some people are interested in hearing both sides of the 'dream'.

G
Old Apr 8th 2006, 3:15 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by WendyC
Trying to cause trouble maybe or thinks that because they didn't like it no-one else will, so we should all stay in the UK and not bother.....
the point is alot of people have reccie trips and holidays here in aussie before migrating and when they decide to migrate its awhole different experience ,somebody who has been here on holiday can form a general idea of australia after all most of the cities are the same in some respects and flies do tend to inhabit every one of them although they do taste different in melbourne and are a lot juicier if i remember right ,
Old Apr 8th 2006, 3:39 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't get the impression the OP was out to cause trouble. I do believe, however, that they could have visited anywhere on the planet and arrived at the same conclusion, so I wouldn't take it as some great nose-thumbing insult to Adelaide, despite the negative comments which are more to do with her validating her decision I suspect.

She said "i was really glad to be back in good old England" - sounds like a tenatative toe-dipping in the water that proved that they were happier in blighty - nothing more, nothing less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.