Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I went to Oz for a holiday

I went to Oz for a holiday

Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
What part of Bradford are you Wendy. My brother's in Thornton.

Just down the road in Allerton. I did live in Thornton a few years back on West Lane and my MIL owns The Sun Inn pub on Wicken Lane
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:43 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by millymog
Hoping i would like it that much that i would try to emigrate. But now i have been, i was really glad to be back in good old England.

Maybe it was the wrong time or place to go but i didnt really enjoy it. I went to Adelaide and as soon as the sun came out, we had mouthfuls and eyefuls of flies. All i was doing was the "Australian wave" as they call it. The beaches looked like you would get in Tenby in Wales. I just found there was no character to it. So its safe to say that i wont be going again. My advise is to people, take a good look at where you are thinking of going BEFORE you embark on this long mission of getting accepted. The grass isnt always greener on the other side.
Don't know how long you spend in Australia, but I must point out that my country is three times the size of Western Europe and you've just written off the entire place on the basis of your limited experience in Adelaide.

I wonder how people would react if I did the same to the UK after a holiday in Sheffield.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:50 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Anyone who dismisses the flies as a trivial reason for not liking somewhere has never really experienced them :scared:

G
I totally agree, We decided before we came that the flies and the mossies wouldn't bother us, I mean how bad can it really be? Then wham! you actually experience it for month after month and you start to wonder why you should put up with it.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:55 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
many things: too hot in summer, they tore down 99% of the old buildings and built crappy new ones, the people are standoffish (its the most unfriendly place I have ever travelled to/lived in), they are arrogant, superficial and materialistic.

It's parochial; they think it's the best possible place on earth to live (or they are just trying so very hard to convince themselves cos they live here). Personally I think they have an insecurity complex and infact it is the most isolated city in the world. The fact is it's a sandpit on the edge of a desert!

They go on an on and on and on about farkin AFL(aussie rules football: more like synchronised field dancing) like no other state (not even victoria where the game originated). We get this shit all year in the news and on radio with only a brief respite during summer (if we are lucky)

To give you an example: When the cyclone (category 5, the worst u can get) hit QSLD, the LEAD story on the commercial news stations here was about some idiot footballer(days after the event: a follow up story) who abandoned his vehicle and ranaway from a police boozebus (mobile alcohol testing unit) going with his lawyer to the police station for questioning.

Public transport is non existant at night or sundays unless u live near a train line and train stations have been places gangs of ferral kids attack people in number with rocks and crap (one guy had to have part of his skull removed recently). Other little bastards hurl rocks off freeway overpasses, someone was killed a while back due to that. Infact they hurl rocks at buses too at times.

It gets so hot in summer u need air con in the house and car (mind u this also applies to the likes of brisbane and other cities) so u can't really exercise easily which is why u need to get up very early or go out at night to exercise unless u can afford a gym membership.

Anywhere worth going that is outside of the immediate metro area you need a car to get to cause public transport doesn't exist to get you there.

The place lacks any feel of soul or character. HUGE social dislocation problem that everyone just ignores. It's like "life's here Jim . but not as we know it" ! :scared:

Could probably think of more reasons if I thought about it.
Tried to give you some karma but I need to whore it around a bit first, anyway very well said just replace SA with any other state IMO and the same description fits nicely.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:59 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by arkon
Tried to give you some karma but I need to whore it around a bit first, anyway very well said just replace SA with any other state IMO and the same description fits nicely.
And you have lived in how many states...?
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:00 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Don't know how long you spend in Australia, but I must point out that my country is three times the size of Western Europe and you've just written off the entire place on the basis of your limited experience in Adelaide.

I wonder how people would react if I did the same to the UK after a holiday in Sheffield.
Yes bring up the size issue again why don't you, you need to realise that size isn't everything. Whats the point of being 3 times the size of europe and having only a handfull of population centers with HUGE gaps in between. How you can compare the richness of Europe to this barren empty isolated place is beyond me.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:01 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Lived in one and visited 4 so yes I've seen enough.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah but you don't know what somewhere is like unless you've LIVED there........
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:06 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Now now, Vash.

"An opinion shared is a burden halved." from the BE handbook
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:09 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by <")))><
Now now, Vash.

"An opinion shared is a burden halved." from the BE handbook
Coor, how true, I feel very much lightened every time I post my gripes on here. Infact if it wasn't for BE I would have torched the place and been back home by now.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:11 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by WendyC
Ah but you don't know what somewhere is like unless you've LIVED there........
You say that but every single one of her points was true for all the states I've been to.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

You say that but every single one of her points was true for all the states I've been to.
Funny that, because I live in NSW (like you) and none of them are true for where I live.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know, in YOUR opinion, which is fine. I have no problems there

It also describes MY views on the UK, apart from the obvious differences. As I told her earlier in the thread.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:20 pm
Fighting my corner

Yes bring up the size issue again why don't you, you need to realise that size isn't everything. Whats the point of being 3 times the size of europe and having only a handfull of population centers with HUGE gaps in between. How you can compare the richness of Europe to this barren empty isolated place is beyond me.
You've completely missed my point. My point is that Australia has a lot more to offer than one single city; there are plenty of other places to visit.

I wasn't comparing the "richness of Europe" to Australia - I was merely comparing the size. My actual comparison was visiting the UK and writing off the entire place on the basis of a holiday in Sheffield.

That was my comparison, and you have simply failed to address it.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:21 pm
Fighting my corner

"Visited four" - what did that entail, exactly?

I've visited at least a dozen counties; does that make me an expert on the UK?

As WendyC correctly says, there's a difference to visiting a place and living in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.