Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I went to Oz for a holiday

I went to Oz for a holiday

Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by kiwichild
What part of the UK are you in Wendy?
West Yorkshire, Hun
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:03 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
West Yorkshire, Hun
Oh I'd imagine Yorkshire to be quite a nice county, cold in winter tho yes.

Have heard some troublespots in Leeds and Bradford at times tho.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'd imagine Yorkshire to be quite a nice county, cold in winter tho yes.

Have heard some troublespots in Leeds and Bradford at times tho.

Yes, Bradford is really bad. That's where I live. Leeds is not much better but it's about 40% dearer.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:09 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millymog
Hoping i would like it that much that i would try to emigrate. But now i have been, i was really glad to be back in good old England.

Maybe it was the wrong time or place to go but i didnt really enjoy it. I went to Adelaide and as soon as the sun came out, we had mouthfuls and eyefuls of flies. All i was doing was the "Australian wave" as they call it. The beaches looked like you would get in Tenby in Wales. I just found there was no character to it. So its safe to say that i wont be going again. My advise is to people, take a good look at where you are thinking of going BEFORE you embark on this long mission of getting accepted. The grass isnt always greener on the other side.

Good post, and wise words. This is why we did a 10 month reccie.

1. Throughout their autumn, winter, and spring - not just seeing their beautiful summers.
2. I worked, and we integrated as though we were actually living the life in that environment.
3. We had a short list of places we fancied (you won't be able to do a reccie on every city and town iun Australia). So made sure we fully exprienced each one before returning home.

I would throughly recommend this sort of experience before deciding on such a big move.

L
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:12 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Bradford is really bad. That's where I live. Leeds is not much better but it's about 40% dearer.
I imagine York, Scarborough, Whitby etc would be nice but perhaps not as many work opportunites in the last two.

Do you think you will emmigrate or maybe move somewhere else in Yorkshire or UK?

If I stay in OZ I will move to Melbourne or Tasmania. Everything you probably coudl want can be found in Melbourne but Tasmania offers a more relaxed lifestlye with a relatively low crime rate and beautiful scenery. Apparently has a real community spirit which seems to be lacking in a lot of OZ's bigger cities.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I imagine York, Scarborough, Whitby etc would be nice but perhaps not as many work opportunites in the last two.

Do you think you will emmigrate or maybe move somewhere else in Yorkshire or UK?

If I stay in OZ I will move to Melbourne or Tasmania. Everything you probably coudl want can be found in Melbourne but Tasmania offers a more relaxed lifestlye with a relatively low crime rate and beautiful scenery. Apparently has a real community spirit which seems to be lacking in a lot of OZ's bigger cities.
York is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't live there. Don't really know why, it's just not for me. Scarborough is one of my favourite places, but lots of hills. Whitby again nice but lots of hills and very little to do after a few days, unless you like fishing in the rain.

We are coming out there and settling in Adelaide where my aunt lives. We will be there before November. It will be lovely to be able to get to know my aunt as I haven't seen her for years.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:19 am
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

It's the poster's opinon and personal experience and they are entitled to it.

The 'crock of shit' is that you can't accept the obvious or respect their rights to hold their view..

No, no kiwichild...I think you misunderstood (again)

It really is A CROCK OF SHIT to say..... "I just found there was no character to it." Obviously millimog didn't have the presence of mind to visit any other part of Australia before making such a sweeping statement.

Fine, have your say...share your experiences and opinions on this board and I will share mine. 'Crock of shit' summed it up for me...so back off.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by <")))><
No, no kiwichild...I think you misunderstood (again)

It really is A CROCK OF SHIT to say..... "I just found there was no character to it." Obviously millimog didn't have the presence of mind to visit any other part of Australia before making such a sweeping statement.

Fine, have your say...share your experiences and opinions on this board and I will share mine. 'Crock of shit' summed it up for me...so back off.
If you read the rest of this thread you will see that the point you have raised has been discussed, including by the OP who agrees they did not unfortuantely get to visit other parts of the country while here.

The term 'crock of shit' in my opinion has always been used when one is dealing with substantsiated facts and not opinons. There is a difference.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:51 am
Banned

York is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't live there. Don't really know why, it's just not for me. Scarborough is one of my favourite places, but lots of hills. Whitby again nice but lots of hills and very little to do after a few days, unless you like fishing in the rain.

We are coming out there and settling in Adelaide where my aunt lives. We will be there before November. It will be lovely to be able to get to know my aunt as I haven't seen her for years.
Adelaide is a lovely city in my opinon. Hope you enjoy it
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Adelaide is a lovely city in my opinon. Hope you enjoy it
Thanks, I intend to.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:59 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

As we all know every place is not for everyone, but it's not just the 'place', that people take into consideration.

It depends on lots of stuff, for e.g, i lived and worked in Melbourne when i was younger (23-24) and it was not what i expected, but that was at that age, i was looking for nightlife, a busy soical life , lots of friends, and it did not live up to my expectations. To be honest, i never really thought about the country or surroundings, just about myself, coz thats the age and life i was leading, a selfish, self-centered, immature one.

Now (yes its taken 20 years for me to grow up), I want a totally different life, we don't have much friends or family, so this is not a huge consideration.
I just want myself and family to experience something differnt . As i have said to my daughter we are not rich enough to go european hols, god we can barely afford a hol in Britain, every 2 years. But i can give her the experience of this 'other' life and shit, if it is shit, then , nothing has to be for ever
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:00 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

No, I have a dicky thyroid
Sounds like an 'executive toy' for the more discerning customer.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by benny the ball
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:26 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benny the ball
Or possibly the name of an Australian sports reporter ... "And now with all the news from today at the MCG, here's Dicky Thyroid."
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:30 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

What part of Bradford are you Wendy. My brother's in Thornton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.