Reload this Page >

I went to Oz for a holiday

I went to Oz for a holiday

Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

millymog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Good point. I think the poster was perhaps a bit overwhelmed by their experience, but they at least have forewarned travellers who come here in summer lol
Im just saying, dont get carried away with the idea that it will be fantastic living over there or anywhere that you have never visited before. It may not be right for you.

Like i said, i was all set to move to be near my friend but when i got there it changed my mind.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:00 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millymog
Oh yeah definately...but I just really missed the UK and didnt realise that until I came back.

My friend went to Sydney and thoroughly enjoyed herself but she was doing all the site seeing bit. Maybe thats what I needed to do
It would have helped to see more than just one city, esp if you could see some of the rural communities etc. Its a big country with a lot of diversity but summer and flies go together here like peas in a pod unless you head down to Tassie maybe
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:02 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Im just saying, dont get carried away with the idea that it will be fantastic living over there or anywhere that you have never visited before. It may not be right for you.

Like i said, i was all set to move to be near my friend but when i got there it changed my mind.
Oh I agree with you. I have lived in OZ for over a decade (most of it in perth unfortuantely) adn soon as I finish uni I am out of here: maybe to melb, tassie, NZ, or UK.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

millymog is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I agree with you. I have lived in OZ for over a decade (most of it in perth unfortuantely) adn soon as I finish uni I am out of here: maybe to melb, tassie, NZ, or UK.
what dont you like about Perth?
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:22 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you didn't like Adelaide. I hope it didn't spoil your holiday. I think like others have said maybe if you had seen some other places you may not have felt the same.

I think its fair to say the the majority of people on the forum do a hell of alot of research before they decide where to go and most people are aware that the grass is not always greener..... as you have pointed out.

Best wishes

Jackie x
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd asy the grass is NEVER greener, just different shades
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:30 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who dismisses the flies as a trivial reason for not liking somewhere has never really experienced them :scared:

G
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:30 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I'd asy the grass is NEVER greener, just different shades
Yes but you've got double vision!
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Yes but you've got double vision!
That'll be it then

You've just shattered my illusion. I think I may not go now
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:43 am
Banned

what dont you like about Perth?
many things: too hot in summer, they tore down 99% of the old buildings and built crappy new ones, the people are standoffish (its the most unfriendly place I have ever travelled to/lived in), they are arrogant, superficial and materialistic.

It's parochial; they think it's the best possible place on earth to live (or they are just trying so very hard to convince themselves cos they live here). Personally I think they have an insecurity complex and infact it is the most isolated city in the world. The fact is it's a sandpit on the edge of a desert!

They go on an on and on and on about farkin AFL(aussie rules football: more like synchronised field dancing) like no other state (not even victoria where the game originated). We get this shit all year in the news and on radio with only a brief respite during summer (if we are lucky)

To give you an example: When the cyclone (category 5, the worst u can get) hit QSLD, the LEAD story on the commercial news stations here was about some idiot footballer(days after the event: a follow up story) who abandoned his vehicle and ranaway from a police boozebus (mobile alcohol testing unit) going with his lawyer to the police station for questioning.

Public transport is non existant at night or sundays unless u live near a train line and train stations have been places gangs of ferral kids attack people in number with rocks and crap (one guy had to have part of his skull removed recently). Other little bastards hurl rocks off freeway overpasses, someone was killed a while back due to that. Infact they hurl rocks at buses too at times.

It gets so hot in summer u need air con in the house and car (mind u this also applies to the likes of brisbane and other cities) so u can't really exercise easily which is why u need to get up very early or go out at night to exercise unless u can afford a gym membership.

Anywhere worth going that is outside of the immediate metro area you need a car to get to cause public transport doesn't exist to get you there.

The place lacks any feel of soul or character. HUGE social dislocation problem that everyone just ignores. It's like "life's here Jim . but not as we know it" ! :scared:

Could probably think of more reasons if I thought about it.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

many things: too hot in summer, they tore down 99% of the old buildings and built crappy new ones, the people are standoffish (its the most unfriendly place I have ever travelled to/lived in), they are arrogant, superficial and materialistic.

It's parochial; they think it's the best possible place on earth to live (or they are just trying so very hard to convince themselves cos they live here). Personally I think they have an insecurity complex and infact it is the most isolated city in the world. The fact is it's a sandpit on the edge of a desert!

They go on an on and on and on about farkin AFL(aussie rules football: more like synchronised field dancing) like no other state (not even victoria where the game originated). We get this shit all year in the news and on radio with only a brief respite during summer (if we are lucky)

To give you an example: When the cyclone (category 5, the worst u can get) hit QSLD, the LEAD story on the commercial news stations here was about some idiot footballer(days after the event: a follow up story) who abandoned his vehicle and ranaway from a police boozebus (mobile alcohol testing unit) going with his lawyer to the police station for questioning.

Public transport is non existant at night or sundays unless u live near a train line and train stations have been places gangs of ferral kids attack people in number with rocks and crap (one guy had to have part of his skull removed recently). Other little bastards hurl rocks off freeway overpasses, someone was killed a while back due to that. Infact they hurl rocks at buses too at times.

It gets so hot in summer u need air con in the house and car (mind u this also applies to the likes of brisbane and other cities) so u can't really exercise easily which is why u need to get up very early or go out at night to exercise unless u can afford a gym membership.

Anywhere worth going that is outside of the immediate metro area you need a car to get to cause public transport doesn't exist to get you there.

The place lacks any feel of soul or character. HUGE social dislocation problem that everyone just ignores. It's like "life's here Jim . but not as we know it" ! :scared:

Could probably think of more reasons if I thought about it.

Do you know Kiwichild, I could have written that about where I currently live. Only differences being the public transport here is OK, just expensive £1.40 to go just 5 bus stops ) and it's OK when it turns up

Instead of AFL it's soccer here. But same thing about the news (where I am) they seem more interested in the social life of a footballer than in the local yobs setting fire to cars just down the road.

Then the weather is the opposite extreme. It's so cold most days you don't want to leave the house for fear of freezing to death.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Then the weather is the opposite extreme. It's so cold most days you don't want to leave the house for fear of freezing to death.
Just a little exaggeration maybe

G
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:54 am
Banned

Do you know Kiwichild, I could have written that about where I currently live. Only differences being the public transport here is OK, just expensive £1.40 to go just 5 bus stops ) and it's OK when it turns up

Instead of AFL it's soccer here. But same thing about the news (where I am) they seem more interested in the social life of a footballer than in the local yobs setting fire to cars just down the road.

What part of the UK are you in Wendy?
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:57 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah definately...but I just really missed the UK and didnt realise that until I came back.
Sounds like you saved yourself a hell of a lot of money. Far better you find out now that miss the UK, than a year down the line when you've sold up, emigrated and consequently taken up residence in 'Moving back ...'
Old Apr 8th 2006, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
Just a little exaggeration maybe

G
No, I have a dicky thyroid so I'm always bloody freezing. Even when I'm sat next to the radiators

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.