Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I went to Oz for a holiday

I went to Oz for a holiday

Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

millymog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I went to Oz for a holiday

Hoping i would like it that much that i would try to emigrate. But now i have been, i was really glad to be back in good old England.

Maybe it was the wrong time or place to go but i didnt really enjoy it. I went to Adelaide and as soon as the sun came out, we had mouthfuls and eyefuls of flies. All i was doing was the "Australian wave" as they call it. The beaches looked like you would get in Tenby in Wales. I just found there was no character to it. So its safe to say that i wont be going again. My advise is to people, take a good look at where you are thinking of going BEFORE you embark on this long mission of getting accepted. The grass isnt always greener on the other side.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I went to Oz for a holiday

Originally Posted by millymog
Hoping i would like it that much that i would try to emigrate. But now i have been, i was really glad to be back in good old England.

Maybe it was the wrong time or place to go but i didnt really enjoy it. I went to Adelaide and as soon as the sun came out, we had mouthfuls and eyefuls of flies. All i was doing was the "Australian wave" as they call it. The beaches looked like you would get in Tenby in Wales. I just found there was no character to it. So its safe to say that i wont be going again. My advise is to people, take a good look at where you are thinking of going BEFORE you embark on this long mission of getting accepted. The grass isnt always greener on the other side.
All due respect you only went to Adelaide, that is 1 city in a very big country Perhaps if you had visited other cities you would have found the area for you.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:42 am
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Sorry you had a bad time, but what a crock of shit.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:45 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

A very astute observation. And to be honest I find Adelaide to be one of the nicest cities in OZ. It has a lot of character and charm. The problem with flies in summer as you point out is prevalent in a lot of OZ. The country has a hot climate in summer and flies are attracted to the moisture on your skin as a result. Have never had the problem in NZ.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by <")))><
why a crock of shit? because i didnt have a good time i cant have an opinion? Im just saying i didnt like it and I just say to people that make sure they do like it before making a big decision.

Not everyone is going to like Australia like not everyone is going to like the UK but i wouldnt have a go at them because they expressed an opinion.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwichild
A very astute observation. And to be honest I find Adelaide to be one of the nicest cities in OZ. It has a lot of character and charm. The problem with flies in summer as you point out is prevalent in a lot of OZ. The country has a hot climate in summer and flies are attracted to the moisture on your skin as a result. Have never had the problem in NZ.
I have heard that NZ is actually nicer than Australia in some ways, but because ive never been there i wouldnt know. Its hearsay

It drove me bonkers swatting them away all the time.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:47 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by <")))><
It's the poster's opinon and personal experience and they are entitled to it.

The 'crock of shit' is that you can't accept the obvious or respect their rights to hold their view..
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:49 am
Banned

I have heard that NZ is actually nicer than Australia in some ways, but because ive never been there i wouldnt know. Its hearsay

It drives me nuts too! NZ just doesn't get hot enough for flies to 'attack' you. The locals are friendlier too
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Also i did find Adelaide city very much like any city ive been to. Built up and full of fast food chains, bars, shopping centres, just like London and i dont like London either lol

Maybe i was just waiting for the "Australian experience" of seeing Koalas and kangaroos and the awesome feeling but i didnt
Banned

why a crock of shit? because i didnt have a good time i cant have an opinion? Im just saying i didnt like it and I just say to people that make sure they do like it before making a big decision.

Not everyone is going to like Australia like not everyone is going to like the UK but i wouldnt have a go at them because they expressed an opinion.
Don't worry about it. You get this 'I love all things OZ' brigade rearing their heads at times on this forum. Fark 'em I say.
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

I think the essence of 'look before you leap' is absolutely correct. But to judge a whole continent on one visit to one city is a bit blinkered. I'm sure there are towns and cities in the uK you could visit and dislike equally.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by benny the ball
I think the essence of 'look before you leap' is absolutely correct. But to judge a whole continent on one visit to one city is a bit blinkered. I'm sure there are towns and cities in the uK you could visit and dislike equally.
Oh yeah definately...but I just really missed the UK and didnt realise that until I came back.

My friend went to Sydney and thoroughly enjoyed herself but she was doing all the site seeing bit. Maybe thats what I needed to do
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:55 am
Banned

Also i did find Adelaide city very much like any city ive been to. Built up and full of fast food chains, bars, shopping centres, just like London and i dont like London either lol

Maybe i was just waiting for the "Australian experience" of seeing Koalas and kangaroos and the awesome feeling but i didnt
What I like about Adelaide is that is has retained many of its old 'heritage type' buildings and has kept the little city parks, even the Adelaide oval where they paly cricket is pretty much still as it was originally. It's aquite pretty city.

The fast food chains, bars shopping centres are all over the world. Hard to escape that if you are in a major city anywhere.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by benny the ball
Good point. I think the poster was perhaps a bit overwhelmed by their experience, but they at least have forewarned travellers who come here in summer lol
Old Apr 8th 2006, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

The fast food chains, bars shopping centres are all over the world. Hard to escape that if you are in a major city anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. But maybe I just found it too vast for me. Id probably find the USA the same. I mean the width of the road is like a motorway for us lol

Had to get a taxi just to get to the other side of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.