Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I really miss my family

I really miss my family

Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool I really miss my family

Been in Townsville for 3 months nearly. My mum is sick, my dad has a dicky heart, my niece is starting school, and I miss them sooo much.

I am having a wonderful time here with my husband and children, good job, nice home, but I feel like a bit of a nobody. Can't get a credit card, or a mobile phone because I am on a 309 visa. I am getting homesick and I need some reassurance that it will get better.

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:30 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I really miss my family

Originally Posted by kellz
Been in Townsville for 3 months nearly. My mum is sick, my dad has a dicky heart, my niece is starting school, and I miss them sooo much.

I am having a wonderful time here with my husband and children, good job, nice home, but I feel like a bit of a nobody. Can't get a credit card, or a mobile phone because I am on a 309 visa. I am getting homesick and I need some reassurance that it will get better.

Thanks
Close yer eyes,take a deep breath,release slowly,repeat a few times and say 'it WILL get better'
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

stenik will become famous soon enough

I am sure it will get better Kellz, and after some reassurance from those that have come out the other side of the initial homesick feeling, I truly believe you will be glad you did it!! I'm not there yet, but will be very soon and I probably will also be on here at some point missing my wee Mum, son and the rest of my folk. Good luck girlie.....

Nikki x
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Hi Kellz - sorry to hear you're so homesick. I fully expect to feel the same way when I move. It's still really early days for you and I'm sure what you're feeling is perfectly natural. Easy for me to say, but try to focus on all the positives that you mention about life in Oz and with time you will hopefully be able to deal with the homesickness better. Keep strong.
Mairi x
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:17 am
Account Closed

MissyB is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that - it took me a good 6 months when I first moved to Aus to get over homesickness so 3 months is still early days but it does get better... I find using Skype helps if I feel a bit isolated/alienated.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

I keep being assured it does get better. Like you I'm generally happy here & enjoying it, kids & hubby are settled & can't see him ever wanting to go back but & it's a BIG BUT - I left 3 teenagers in the UK & it's killing me at times. It was my sons 16th of Monday, this first of their birthdays with me here & it was very hard knowing I wouldn't get to see him.

We've been here 4 months & my worst day was New Years Eve when I really felt the distance & kept thinking this time last year I was at my parents with my daughter. Plus it was 6 months from when I'd last seen my daughter & 4 months for my boys & everyone else. I spent the entire day in floods of tears & for the first time said I wanted to go home. Hubby was actually quite surprised I'd lasted so long as he expected me to be saying that 2 weeks in. He went out for the evening & I spent the best part of 5 hours on msn & facebook chatting to my daughter & my eldest sons girlfriend & saw in the New Year with them. I was then up & back online again in time to chat to my daughter again & saw the New Year in with her in the UK which I have to say made me feel so much better.

I always feel much better after a long chat on the phone to my Mum & Dad & love it when my kids ring (they have to ring me with their free minutes as I can't afford to ring their mobiles) & I love skype calls with my kids even if I do spend half the time talking to an empty sofa whilst they're doing something on the other side of the room

I've tried very hard to keep myself busy as I'm not working yet. Luckily I already had a friend here from the UK who's been through it all herself & is on the end of the phone when things get a bit much. I've made some lovely friends through the school & met up with a couple of the wives of the guys hubby works with. I also have a friend moving over from the UK next month which I'm really excited about & tomorrow I'm meeting up with a newly arrived British Expats forum member which I'm looking forward to Some how my busy days seem filled with drinking coffee but things don't seem so bad when I've got good company. Oh & we joined the gym which is keeping me busy & focused on something, all be it my non reducing tummy & bum

Hang in there. I know how hard it is but I'm sure it will all be worth it!

Alison x

Ps. Sorry for the essay
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

It gets easier.... until you realise you can't get a library card coz you haven't got a friend locally who will vouch for you...

seriously it IS hard for people who have family they care about back home and 3.5 yrs down the line I still have my moments... Just take each day as it comes and try to concentrate on the good things that are here for your kids...
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light

It will get better if we allow it to,
Human nature to wallow and feel the negative side of things,
if you think of all the things that bought you here, focus of what you love about the place (for me my hubby its our 1st anniversary today) push for the positive feelings then they will kick the ass of the negative ones,
BUT....... when you need a bloody good cry then have one, i get my favorite tipple, watch a sad film eat chocolate and i am off
We all really miss our families (unless we moved here to get away from them) xx
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Hi Kellz

It does get easier with time. It takes time to find new friends, find work, find a routine, to get used to calling it home. Never give up just because your homesick, if you really have the urge to go back then do so as a holiday, you'll find for the first few days everybody is pleased to see you, your busy running around catching up with friends and family, then boom, a week later, they are all back into their routines of life, continuing as before whether with or without you. You have made a move for what's hopefully best for you and your family, it doesn't come handed on a plate but with a bit of determination and hard work, it gets easier and you begin to appreciate what you have here.

I'm here with my fiance, soon to be joined by my two kids, 14 & 13. If you wish to meet up, PM me and we can exchange mobile numbers.

Hang in there

John
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:13 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by al150n
I keep being assured it does get better. Like you I'm generally happy here & enjoying it, kids & hubby are settled & can't see him ever wanting to go back but & it's a BIG BUT - I left 3 teenagers in the UK & it's killing me at times. It was my sons 16th of Monday, this first of their birthdays with me here & it was very hard knowing I wouldn't get to see him.

We've been here 4 months & my worst day was New Years Eve when I really felt the distance & kept thinking this time last year I was at my parents with my daughter. Plus it was 6 months from when I'd last seen my daughter & 4 months for my boys & everyone else. I spent the entire day in floods of tears & for the first time said I wanted to go home. Hubby was actually quite surprised I'd lasted so long as he expected me to be saying that 2 weeks in. He went out for the evening & I spent the best part of 5 hours on msn & facebook chatting to my daughter & my eldest sons girlfriend & saw in the New Year with them. I was then up & back online again in time to chat to my daughter again & saw the New Year in with her in the UK which I have to say made me feel so much better.

I always feel much better after a long chat on the phone to my Mum & Dad & love it when my kids ring (they have to ring me with their free minutes as I can't afford to ring their mobiles) & I love skype calls with my kids even if I do spend half the time talking to an empty sofa whilst they're doing something on the other side of the room

I've tried very hard to keep myself busy as I'm not working yet. Luckily I already had a friend here from the UK who's been through it all herself & is on the end of the phone when things get a bit much. I've made some lovely friends through the school & met up with a couple of the wives of the guys hubby works with. I also have a friend moving over from the UK next month which I'm really excited about & tomorrow I'm meeting up with a newly arrived British Expats forum member which I'm looking forward to Some how my busy days seem filled with drinking coffee but things don't seem so bad when I've got good company. Oh & we joined the gym which is keeping me busy & focused on something, all be it my non reducing tummy & bum

Hang in there. I know how hard it is but I'm sure it will all be worth it!

Alison x

Ps. Sorry for the essay
Hi Alison

Where about in Perth have you settled? Weren't you a Junie 08?

We've been here 15 months now and NO REGRETS. Mum and Dad came for xmas which was nice, they have just gone back so was a bit upset for a day or two but i'm back to normal again now. Had the odd wobble since we arrived but nothing would send me back to the UK.
Let me know how your getting on and we're you are?
Dawnx

Kellz, Facebook and Skype make it easier to keep in touch, maybe without it I would struggle but at least with it you dont feel that far away.
Hope your feeling ok soon x

Last edited by tawkins1; Jan 14th 2011 at 12:15 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:49 am
julie

jubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nicejubily is just really nice

Originally Posted by kellz

Thanks
i have been in australia nearly 6 years now and I still feel homesick. people cant help the way the feel. Although it is the 'place' for some people it isnt for all. people keep saying "just remember why you came here" but it isnt until you havent got things that you realise"why did i leave them'" so it works for some and not for others.Before people say"go back for a holiday and you will see what you have here and not there" it isnt as easy as that.I have done that and i now realise what I had back there and not here. It isnt as easy as people make out'just go back if your not happy' there are other things to take into consideration. So althought i dont want to put you of''Australia" all im saying it isnt for everyone. Dont feel guilty about your feelings just because other people say it will get better.
julie