Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I knew I had become an Australian when....

I knew I had become an Australian when....

Old Nov 4th 2016, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I knew I had become an Australian when....

I took the citizenship today...it took 90 seconds and i got 100%

However, i already felt like an Australian anyway and i didn't need a test to prove it to myself.

When was the moment you felt like an Australian?

Mine was when i became the coach of my sons AFL team, from that moment on i knew i was here to stay and this is home.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 3:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I knew I had become an Australian when....

I knew I had been completely accepted by Australians as being part of the furniture when one of them said to me "you remember that guy who used to read the news in the 80s?"
Old Nov 5th 2016, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

When I get really excited about the prospect of Australia qualifiying for it's first world cup since 1974 .... this was in 1997 at the MCG v Iran. The first time Australian soccer had ever made the front pages of the national newspapers and Terry Venables was in charge. Never had I wanted a sporting achievement more. It was the day Australian soccer started to wake up and I was there giving it everything I had.

Old Nov 5th 2016, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno, still waiting. I suppose the closest I get is when I contemplate a 2 hour drive to get breakfast is perfectly normal
Old Nov 6th 2016, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave1892
I took the citizenship today...it took 90 seconds and i got 100%

However, i already felt like an Australian anyway and i didn't need a test to prove it to myself.

When was the moment you felt like an Australian?

Mine was when i became the coach of my sons AFL team, from that moment on i knew i was here to stay and this is home.
Never, even though I have done the citizenship test I am still British, and very proud of my heritage, because I was born there. Being Australian is more than a test, I would say you are are only really Australian if you are are born here.

A test and being an immigrant does not equate to being a local.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 6:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
I would say you are are only really Australian if you are are born here.
Don't tell Malcolm - it may give him ideas!
Old Nov 6th 2016, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Never, even though I have done the citizenship test I am still British, and very proud of my heritage, because I was born there. Being Australian is more than a test, I would say you are are only really Australian if you are are born here.

True to a degree, first of all there are kids that could be as young as a few weeks that were born in the UK and arrived at a very early age with their migrating parents. They have very little to do with the UK.

Now myself having been here 36 years..... I'm an Australian Husband married to a 5th generation or more Australian lady from the Bush. I'm an Australian Parent of 4 Australian born Kids who saw those kids go through Australian schooling. I've only ever been bereaved in Australia with all my UK family members having died only whilst I've been here. I've spent 4/5th's of my working life in the Australian workforce. I've got more Australian family members than UK ones now... plenty more if I take In laws into consideration..

Couple this with my only 4 visits back to the UK in my time here since 1980. Each time the UK has felt more and more foreign to me, till the last visit last year when I had real trouble with the coinage. I certainly seem to think differently to the UK masses these days. I really believe my thinking is more Australian than UK.

So having spent all of those 36 years in the Northern Subs of Melbourne, I can honestly put my hand on my heart and say I definitely feel very very Melburnian... or a "Local". Or put another way, I don't really feel English anymore, more like a fish out of water when I go back to the UK. I certainly feel like I'm coming home when I leave those visits to the UK for Australia.

Others can say what they think, it's what the individual feels it what really counts.

I really do believe it took me the best part of 17 years to tip the balance to here though..... which is now over 50 pct of my time ago.

Your right about the test though and the piece of paper that simple step doesnt make you Australian in your heart. There's a whole load of other processes that go along with that.

As for being proud of my Britishness.... every year that becomes less and less relevant to me personally. I definitely feel a sense of pride when an Aussie does well in any sphere as well...maybe having 4 Aussies kids helps one get over that little hurdle.

Another thing, I've not been called a Pom or noticed a UK person being called one in years.... I'm wondering if that handle has disappeared from the Melburnian vernacular ??????

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 6th 2016 at 9:32 am.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Dave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond reputeDave1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree about the test that was the point i was making. I think its about attitude, i'm different to you, i came here to be Australian, I've never felt less British than i do now despite spending the first 40 years of my life there.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
True to a degree, first of all there are kids that could be as young as a few weeks that were born in the UK and arrived at a very early age with their migrating parents. They have very little to do with the UK.

Now myself having been here 36 years..... I'm an Australian Husband married to a 5th generation or more Australian lady from the Bush. I'm an Australian Parent of 4 Australian born Kids who saw those kids go through Australian schooling. I've only ever been bereaved in Australia with all my UK family members having died only whilst I've been here. I've spent 4/5th's of my working life in the Australian workforce. I've got more Australian family members than UK ones now... plenty more if I take In laws into consideration..

Couple this with my only 4 visits back to the UK in my time here since 1980. Each time the UK has felt more and more foreign to me, till the last visit last year when I had real trouble with the coinage. I certainly seem to think differently to the UK masses these days. I really believe my thinking is more Australian than UK.

So having spent all of those 36 years in the Northern Subs of Melbourne, I can honestly put my hand on my heart and say I definitely feel very very Melburnian... or a "Local". Or put another way, I don't really feel English anymore, more like a fish out of water when I go back to the UK. I certainly feel like I'm coming home when I leave those visits to the UK for Australia.

Others can say what they think, it's what the individual feels it what really counts.

I really do believe it took me the best part of 17 years to tip the balance to here though..... which is now over 50 pct of my time ago.

Your right about the test though and the piece of paper that simple step doesnt make you Australian in your heart. There's a whole load of other processes that go along with that.

As for being proud of my Britishness.... every year that becomes less and less relevant to me personally. I definitely feel a sense of pride when an Aussie does well in any sphere as well...maybe having 4 Aussies kids helps one get over that little hurdle.

Another thing, I've not been called a Pom or noticed a UK person being called one in years.... I'm wondering if that handle has disappeared from the Melburnian vernacular ??????
Agreed and all really good points.

No the term has not disappeared, but do certainly do not hear it that often.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 10:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Being Australian is more than a test, I would say you are are only really Australian if you are are born here.

That's ridiculous and totally disagree

Using your analogy (and I'm sure you apply your logic without national discrimination):
Only Americans born in America are American
Only British people born in the UK are British
Only French people born in France are French
etc

Where does that leave people like Henry Kissinger, Gene Simmons, Bruce Willis, Boris Johnson, Cliff Richard, Mo Farah etc? The list is massive

Julia Gillard was born in Wales. Is she Welsh? Is she f**k - she's Aussie as

You are whatever you want to be
Old Nov 8th 2016, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That's ridiculous and totally disagree

Using your analogy (and I'm sure you apply your logic without national discrimination):
Only Americans born in America are American
Only British people born in the UK are British
Only French people born in France are French
etc

Where does that leave people like Henry Kissinger, Gene Simmons, Bruce Willis, Boris Johnson, Cliff Richard, Mo Farah etc? The list is massive

Julia Gillard was born in Wales. Is she Welsh? Is she f**k - she's Aussie as

You are whatever you want to be
The Welsh can claim Jules if they want her.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 11:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Only if the English take Abbott back!
Old Nov 8th 2016, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Only if the English take Abbott back!
Nah, they might send old Rolf back to us if we start getting too pushy with returning all of theirs.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 11:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, they might send old Rolf back to us if we start getting too pushy with returning all of theirs.
Certainly don't want him back
Old Nov 8th 2016, 10:28 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

They certainly can

She was a disaster for us!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.