Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I DON'T LIKE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA BECAUSE...

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I DON'T LIKE LIVING IN AUSTRALIA BECAUSE...

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
True. But when people do voice an opinion, invariably they're told 'if you don't like it, get lost', which some people simply can't do.

My reply was in reference to renth saying that if you do have a negative opinion of living in Australia it should go in the MBTUK forum.
Yes, but moaning about Australia to Australians is just pathetic. Thats like criticising someone mums to their face. It most certainly is not a way to make friends!!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:48 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Why should the moaners be the only ones allowed to post an opinion?
Its the way of the west
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Yes, but moaning about Australia to Australians is just pathetic. Thats like criticising someone mums to their face. It most certainly is not a way to make friends!!
Hold on a sec', I thought this was 'British'Expats??

So how exactly is people voicing their negative experiences in an area that 'is for Australian Lifestyle discussions' on a forum called 'BritishExpats' moaning to Australians?

Or should the area have the description - 'is for positive Australian Lifestyle discussions only'?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:16 am
ABCDiamond

So how exactly is people voicing their negative experiences in an area that 'is for Australian Lifestyle discussions' on a forum called 'BritishExpats' moaning to Australians?

Or should the area have the description - 'is for positive Australian Lifestyle discussions only'?
Only the MBTUK section is allowed such restrictions.

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:23 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willamos
....its too bloody hot. It's 38c outside and blowing a gale as the wind is coming through ahead of a front. Giant hairdryer effect.

But tommorow its only going to be 25c so that's OK.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Originally Posted by willamos

Somebody has told the flies summer is approaching
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
Somebody has told the flies summer is approaching
Yup and we havent had enough rain for the dung beetles to do their bit so expect a bad one again on the south eastern side. Had the biggest blowie in history in the house yesterday cos the DH left windows open while he painted them
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:31 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

But this thread was never about someone voicing an opinion or sharing experience was it.

I really do feel for the people who are so unhappy with living in Australia or indeed anywhere, but at the same time this particular sub forum is frequently mostly by people who do love it and call it home. Thats kinda the way it is. And probably why this thread becomes immediately polarising, which I think we can guess was the intent behind it.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

No, admitedly the OP could have possibly done things a little differently. But its intention was for people to state, in a forum that is mean to be for discussions of living in Australia, what people don't like about living in Australia.

The fact that 'this particular sub forum is frequently mostly by people who do love it and call it home' should have absolutely nothing to do with it. There are obviously also people on here who are having a negative experience, and as such should be able to talk about it - without getting told to 'go home if you don't like it' or 'post it in the MBTUK' forum.

This shouldn't simply be a place to wax lyrical about the joys of living in Australia, it should show both sides of the coin. If it doesn't, it's hugely unfair to new BE members who may be looking to move to Australia and are seeking the pros & cons of such a move.

Please lets not turn the place solely into a 'We Love Australia' forum. I'm sure that's not the intention of it.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:53 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Please lets not turn the place solely into a 'We Love Australia' forum.
Why not? I reckon we should get us one of those - can we have one added under the main Aussie Forum? And to keep it balanced we could have a We dont Love Australia forum as well.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:58 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

No, admitedly the OP could have possibly done things a little differently. But its intention was for people to state, in a forum that is mean to be for discussions of living in Australia, what people don't like about living in Australia.

The fact that 'this particular sub forum is frequently mostly by people who do love it and call it home' should have absolutely nothing to do with it. There are obviously also people on here who are having a negative experience, and as such should be able to talk about it - without getting told to 'go home if you don't like it' or 'post it in the MBTUK' forum.

This shouldn't simply be a place to wax lyrical about the joys of living in Australia, it should show both sides of the coin. If it doesn't, it's hugely unfair to new BE members who may be looking to move to Australia and are seeking the pros & cons of such a move.

Please lets not turn the place solely into a 'We Love Australia' forum. I'm sure that's not the intention of it.
I agree with most of this. However there are a great many posters who will chip in with negative comments about Oz and many with positive. The thought that you somehow can post a thread and TELL people what to post just won't work - it's an open forum.
I think there is a fair balance on this forum and threads of this kind have often provoked debate and views from both sides.
If I post on here about how wonderful my life is in Australia, do you honestly think it would go unmolested? I don't see why a "negative" thread should have any special rights?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the sentiment of your post. However, the OP IMO is a well known anti-godzoner and as such IMO has done this to be provocative. Perhaps someone should go and post a 'I DON'T LIKE LIVING IN THE UK BECAUSE....' thread in the MBttUK forum. See what short shrift that would get.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm certainly not saying people with an opposing view should be censored, so long as it's sensible and creative debating. Simply saying to someone 'If you don't like it, I'll drive you to the airport' is insulting, as is suggesing anyone who has anything negative to say should post it in the MBTUK.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree with the sentiment of your post. However, the OP IMO is a well known anti-godzoner and as such IMO has done this to be provocative. Perhaps someone should go and post a 'I DON'T LIKE LIVING IN THE UK BECAUSE....' thread in the MBttUK forum. See what short shrift that would get.
He's well known to most, but not all I would imagine.

You can't compare posting a negative thread in here, to in MBTTUK - because that is clearly inflamatory to people who obviously prefer the UK.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:08 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm certainly not saying people with an opposing view should be censored, so long as it's sensible and creative debating. Simply saying to someone 'If you don't like it, I'll drive you to the airport' is insulting, as is suggesing anyone who has anything negative to say should post it in the MBTUK.
The simple fact of the matter is that the mbttuk section is precisely for this type of poster.
The reception an anti-Aussie post gets here is like a ticker tape parade compared to an anti-UK post in mbttuk.
I find a lot of the anti-Aussie stuff to be jnsulting tbh, so there is indeed balance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.