British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   I can't give my body away (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/i-cant-give-my-body-away-905046/)

scrubbedexpat020 Oct 25th 2017 2:00 am

I can't give my body away

A strange one!

I would like to leave my exquiste, Adonis-like body to medical research. Unfortunately, Melbourne and UTS don't want people who were in the UK during the mad-cow saga. Anybody got any other ideas?

Beoz Oct 25th 2017 4:13 am

Re: I can't give my body away

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 12367949)
A strange one!

I would like to leave my exquiste, Adonis-like body to medical research. Unfortunately, Melbourne and UTS don't want people who were in the UK during the mad-cow saga. Anybody got any other ideas?

What about a university in the UK?

scrubbedexpat020 Oct 25th 2017 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12367979)
What about a university in the UK?

They recruit from within their designated area cost free. Outside, I would have to pay. Not sure the kids would go for that.:rofl:

If I had a crystal-ball I suppose I could time my parting to concur with a visit to UK.

rasen78 Oct 25th 2017 11:07 am

A strange one!

Our organs are accepted for donation, so not sure why a body wouldn't be accepted or medical research.

Have you tried any other cities?

This website is quite comprehensive and it has a list of exempt diseases. CJD is on there, but only if you actually have it!

Apologies, just checked and yes, if you lived in UK between 1980 and 1996 you are ineligible!!

spuddyo Oct 25th 2017 8:27 pm

Gunther van Hagens 'Body Works' maybe ?

GarryP Oct 25th 2017 10:30 pm

A strange one!

Well given the way medical students treat bodies, you probably don't want your mortal remains anywhere near them. Get the ashes turned into a diamond - people take care of diamonds.

And I'm not sure what mad cow disease would have to do with a medical student loping off an arm.

Swerv-o Oct 26th 2017 5:34 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12368591)
Well given the way medical students treat bodies, you probably don't want your mortal remains anywhere near them. Get the ashes turned into a diamond - people take care of diamonds.

That's an interesting idea. I may look into that.

I was planning on having my ashes loaded into a weather balloon filled with hydrogen and then released up into the atmosphere to scatter across the globe.

S

GarryP Oct 26th 2017 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 12368742)

I was planning on having my ashes loaded into a weather balloon filled with hydrogen and then released up into the atmosphere to scatter across the globe.

S

So you saw

too.

mrken30 Oct 26th 2017 5:46 am

In the US they also won't take blood from UK people who lived there during the mad cow era.

Swerv-o Oct 26th 2017 5:47 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12368746)

I certainly did - Will probably be my only opportunity to make it into space...

S

GarryP Oct 26th 2017 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 12368750)
I certainly did - Will probably be my only opportunity to make it into space...

S

Give Elon ten years and $20k and you never know ...

Jilliebee Oct 26th 2017 7:03 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12368747)
In the US they also won't take blood from UK people who lived there during the mad cow era.

They don't here in Australia either :thumbdown:

rasen78 Oct 26th 2017 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 12368742)

S

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12368591)

And I'm not sure what mad cow disease would have to do with a medical student loping off an arm.

I love that idea - DH can have me around his neck for ever :rofl:

I aso like this idea

GarryP Oct 26th 2017 9:18 am

Originally Posted by rasen78 (Post 12368821)
I love that idea - DH can have me around his neck for ever :rofl:

Lots of firms around that do it,

Heart In Diamond Australia - Remember Your Treasured Loved One Forever with Memorial Diamonds

not cheap, but you can indeed make a diamond in a microwave if you want to DIY

How to Make a Synthetic Diamond: 10 Steps (with Pictures)

spouse of scouse Oct 26th 2017 5:15 pm

You can put your name down here. Better be quick though, it seems very popular :unsure:
Forensic scientists overwhelmed by number of donors to NSW body farm - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)