Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hypnotherepy for quitting the smokes

Hypnotherepy for quitting the smokes

Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:15 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hypnotherepy for quitting the smokes

Anyone tried it? Dose it work?
Jim
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:19 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hypnotherepy for quitting the smokes

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Jim

Tried hypnotherapy, acupuncture and afraid to say only good old will power worked, together with Alan Carr's The Easy Way. Have you tried patches or other nicotine replacement? Lots of giving up smoking clinics around now and they are free. Only cost is the prescription.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:20 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Jim
Look in to my eyes , dont look around the eyes look in to my eyes ,
OR look at the price of the cancer sticks :scared:
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:23 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Tried hypnotherapy, acupuncture and afraid to say only good old will power worked, together with Alan Carr's The Easy Way. Have you tried patches or other nicotine replacement? Lots of giving up smoking clinics around now and they are free. Only cost is the prescription.
tried patches, chewing gum and all that stuff. But, like you say will power which i lack most of the time. I'm hoping a 29 hr flight will help
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:26 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

tried patches, chewing gum and all that stuff. But, like you say will power which i lack most of the time. I'm hoping a 29 hr flight will help

Have you read the book by Alan Carr? Worked for me and several friends. I think anything is worth trying. Mind you I did spend most of my free time either in the swimming pool or in bed where you can't smoke!!!!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:29 pm
Breast Inspector

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Have you read the book by Alan Carr? Worked for me and several friends. I think anything is worth trying. Mind you I did spend most of my free time either in the swimming pool or in bed where you can't smoke!!!!
No I haven't read that book, but, I have made a note of the book. will have a look at amazon. Cheers for the advice.
Jim
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

THEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura aboutTHEOLIVERS has a spectacular aura about

Jim
Hi there , have you tried the patches? ive been on them for 11 days now and i am honestly so suprised it hasnt been as bad as i thought. Give them a try.After smoking the dreaded weed for 17yrs i didnt think id feel this good!!!!
listen to me im a right little showoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Leanne.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 8:32 pm
Breast Inspector

Originally Posted by THEOLIVERS
Hi there , have you tried the patches? ive been on them for 11 days now and i am honestly so suprised it hasnt been as bad as i thought. Give them a try.After smoking the dreaded weed for 17yrs i didnt think id feel this good!!!!
listen to me im a right little showoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Leanne.
Have tried the patches, but, me being the dumbass forgot to put them on some days and well, another packet of smokes down the lungs
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:36 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

For personal reasons, I have studied this subject immensely and can give you plenty of facts on patches, gum etc. and as a small eye-opener, when you read the packaging and leaflets etc., they do not claim a success rate. All they claim is "twice as succesful as will-power".
Will power successs rate is documented as 1 - 4% with 1-2% being the median range. Replacing your source of nicotine doesn't help your addiction, merely changes where you get it from. Eventually quitting is just as hard from ciagarettes or one of the nicotine replacements.
Many of my friends have used www.nicobloc.com and succesfully quit. It has a documented 60% success rate. You can buy it in pharmacies in the UK or over the web. I don't want to sound like an ad for the stuff but I do genuinely want to help people stop killing themselves and those around them. It really does work.
70% of smokers want to quit
45% of smokers try to quit
4% succeed
Of those that succeed, up to 5 different methods were tried including gum patches, hypnotherapy, acupuncture, will-power etc. Some methods 2 or 3 times.
Hope that helps

Andrew
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:40 pm
kez
Forum Regular

kez is on a distinguished road

my hubby has tried to quit lots of times but this last time he used patches although i am quite sure a lot of it was psychological - like the time i gave him dog worming pills for headache - it worked!!

he has been cigarette free for four months - i think the promise of sexual favours is helping!!!!!! very proud of him.

good luck!! try anything that helps i say.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

top tip...the way u gotta programme ur thoughts is to tell ur self how heathly u will be rather than u dont want to smoke....its all about changing the thought processes....

anyway that'll be 30 bucks please..lol
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Jim
My mum tried a few times and it did not work. I am with the others here - Alan Carr's the easy way. Both myself and my partner gave up nearly 3 years ago with this book alone.

A good £8 investment!!!

Good-Luck!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:56 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Jim

Smokes are cheaper in Oz at about GBP 3.20 for 20 for premium brands.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Nearly 6 months without for me now - I found this website a great help http://www.bhf.org.uk/smoking/sn_fee...thier_fast.asp
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Both me and the other half gave up in June last year. We both found the inhalers worked well (we used boots own brand) since you could use them whenever you felt like a cigarette (although you can look a bit silly down the pub with one in your hand). We've still got a cupboard full of unused patches as that was what the other half though would be best until he tried the inhaler.

Giving up was really difficult and we still have some bad days but the thoughts of being healthy and enjoying the australian life style to the full has kept us going

Unfortunately we're now on a diet to lose the weight we put on through him deciding to get into cooking and giving up smoking at the same time. Rabbit food and swimming 3 times a week is our lifestyle at the moment (plus a glass of wine to congratulate ourselves after each swimming session )