HUNTSMAN

Old Sep 8th 2001, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

john_smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i am another worried about spiders in aus. Snakes I think I can handle even the reback I think I will be able to handle due to its size but the stories about the HUNTSMAN spider are worrying me can you please leave your HUNTSMAN stories and advice here please
Cheers
I am very thankfull for replys

John
Old Sep 8th 2001, 11:28 pm
Spammy

Its their speed and size that puts fear into people....quite harmless though and keep
the insects away

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 9th 2001, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

mozz48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Huntsman Spiders

Calm your fears on Huntsman Spiders They are harmless People working in Agro Forest industries can sometimes have them crawling all over them I am nearly 50 years of age and am still very much ALIVE
Old Sep 9th 2001, 4:44 am
George O'Neill

john_smith <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hello again John, The huntsman spider is big , hairy and completely harmless. They
look scary, as nature intended, so that they dont need fangs. I know a guy who
leaves crumbs in his bedroom so that his huntsman doesnt leave. He believes that
bugs stay away when there is a huntsman around. I have never heard of anyone being
bitten by a huntsman.

George

Old Sep 9th 2001, 5:39 am
Johnny Boy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi John,

Like I said in an earlier post, it's the Huntsman's size, appearance and speed that
freaks people out. Though it is possible, but unlikely, one can get a little nip from
them they are really quite harmless. Children have been known to keep them as pets,
much in the same way tarantulas are in the Americas.

Redback spiders (closely related to the American black widow and New Zealand katipo),
are not aggresive spiders and are quite happy to sit around in their webs all day,
but if you happen to sit on one, or inadvertantly touch or brush against one they may
give you a very nasty bite which will make you very ill. There have only been 13
recorded fatalities from redback bites, all of these being before an anti-venom had
been developed.

There are other venomous spiders in Australia, but these are found mainly in the
greater Sydney area, and personally I think you'd be mad to live down there anyway
(spoken like a true Queenslander, .

Snakes, just be careful walking through bush or grassland. Usually they will scarper
long before you have a chance to spot one. Step ON tree roots and logs, rather than
over them, it'll give you an opportunity to see what may be lying on the other side.
We live in a semi-rural area of Brisbane which is renowned for snakes (Eastern Brown
and Red-bellied Black) and I have never seen one (yet). Basic rule: if you see a
snake WALK away, don't stay and play with it.

Just remember Australia has so much weird and wonderful wildlife with only a very
small fraction of it that may cause any sort of harm to humans and in the case of
"white ant" (termites), property. Don't let the over-sensationalised horror stories
sway you, this is a fantastic place to
live...really.

regards, John

Old Sep 12th 2001, 9:55 am
Pin

have a look here guy's.... the pictures actually make them look worse.. They are
friendly little fella's..... better than some people I know!

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/austra.../Huntsman.html

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >