Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to spot a whinging pom.

How to spot a whinging pom.

Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:39 pm
wombat42

Default Re: How to spot a whinging pom.

Originally posted by Olive101
I wonder what my chances of blending in are when I get to Oz...

What things identify a Whinging Pom at 50 paces??!

How about covering yourself liberally in sunscreen yet wearing as little as possible?!

Any more tips to avoid ridicule when i get there?

If you don't want to be identified as a Pom and want to blend in,
whatever you do don't play cricket, it will be a dead give away when you keep getting out for a duck.

Last edited by wombat42; Jul 15th 2004 at 11:47 pm.

Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:49 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to spot a whinging pom.

Originally posted by wombat42
If you don't want to be identified as a Pom and want to blend in,
whatever you do don't play cricket, it will be a dead give away when you keep getting out for a duck.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Siren's b/h
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Aussies can outdo us for whinging anyday!

However, at the risk of being told this is a veryold joke - "How do you know when a plane load of Poms has landed.....?"

"The engine stops but the whining noise goes on....."
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:12 am

gedge has disabled reputation

From a kiwi we know..

What's a pom's favourite drink?

Whine!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:19 am
Badge

I heard somewhere: Poms whinge, Aussies complain.

Apparently there is a difference?!

BTW : I heard a Pom talking to an Aussie work colleague on the tram the other day. It was very unfortunate. There was something about her intensity, lack of point, and accent (couldn't place it) that made her sound VERY negative and flat. I could see the Aussie thinking "We've got a right one here". Even I was cringing.

Then I realised why Aussies call some of us whingers. Aussies whinge (or complain) but they often do it with a joke, or have a point, or with black humour.

I don't miss the London accent for sure.

BM

Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Yeah, us POMS do whinge. I think they all do it in the UK now to such a degree thats its the norm!

As to Aussies complaining You want to hear the Aussies I work with, especially those from interstate. The comments and Language from the NSW and Victoria guys that have moved here and their views on how backward they think Queensland/ Brisbane is
Old Jul 16th 2004, 6:40 am
Just Joined

MandyM is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: How to spot a whinging pom.

Originally posted by Olive101
I wonder what my chances of blending in are when I get to Oz...

What things identify a Whinging Pom at 50 paces??!

How about covering yourself liberally in sunscreen yet wearing as little as possible?!

Any more tips to avoid ridicule when i get there?

Having lived here for seven years and been married to an Australian for six of them, I am definitely of the opinion that they whinge a lot more that we do. You should have been here when we won the rugby. Sour grapes, or what. English people over here are generally really happy to be here and whatever you do, don't tell them you don't like Vegemite!!!!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 6:48 am
Just Joined

MandyM is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I've just thought of the one I did the most when I first came here. I arrived in Melbourne in the middle of January when the weather was up around 40 degrees. An English person's first reaction at the sight of sun is to throw open the windows and let it in and enjoy it. Not here. Close the curtains/blinds to keep cool otherwise your house will be like an oven.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by MandyM
Sorry, I've just thought of the one I did the most when I first came here. I arrived in Melbourne in the middle of January when the weather was up around 40 degrees. An English person's first reaction at the sight of sun is to throw open the windows and let it in and enjoy it. Not here. Close the curtains/blinds to keep cool otherwise your house will be like an oven.
I did this last year while I was living in the UK with the warm summer we had. Would go out in the morning having kept all the curtains and windows closed, looking forward to coming home at 5pm, to put the fan on and circulate the cool air in the house.

Unfortunately him outdoors didn't understand this concept and as he worked shifts, he'd come home at 2pm and open the whole house up, so that by the time I got home the house was stifling and we had to sleep with sweat pouring off us!!!

I think I've converted him now, although he hasn't done a full summer over here yet so will wait and see!!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

How to spot a Pom....

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 6th 2007 at 10:16 am.