Reload this Page >

How to Prove NOT MARRIED

How to Prove NOT MARRIED

Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Philippa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to Prove NOT MARRIED

This forum is my last hope......!

My boyfriend is Australian and I am British, we are getting married in the UK soon and the minister is asking for proof that he is NOT married.

I am really not sure how to prove this...any suggestion?

I have tried the embassy who put me through to a recorded message that says I should be able to find it on the website (but it is not there).

I have also tried the place in Victoria that gives out copies of birth, death and marriage certificates.

Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:02 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Blimey - that's a hard one - written avadavits from his parents?

I don't spose BDM places can give you letters confirming they don't have a certifcate?

Sorry, not very helpful - maybe someone else might have an idea.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:04 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Prove NOT MARRIED

Originally posted by Philippa

My boyfriend is Australian and I am British, we are getting married in the UK soon and the minister is asking for proof that he is NOT married.

I have tried the embassy who put me through to a recorded message that says I should be able to find it on the website (but it is not there).

I have also tried the place in Victoria that gives out copies of birth, death and marriage certificates.

Thanks
Never come across that one before....I'd go with Pollster's suggestion - sort of like police check for convictions, but BDM checking for marriages instead!
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by bundy
Never come across that one before....I'd go with Pollster's suggestion - sort of like police check for convictions, but BDM checking for marriages instead!

Not sure if there is such a thing as a Not Married Certificate from BDM
Kiwified member

Couldn't he do a sworn statement or something - whassit called? - you know you do it front of a legal chappie who puts a fancy seal on it and charges you a f?ortune
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if there is such a thing as a Not Married Certificate from BDM
But they might be able to provide a letter saying they've run a check and hold no records of any marriages...
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:10 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Pollster
Couldn't he do a sworn statement or something - whassit called? - you know you do it front of a legal chappie who puts a fancy seal on it and charges you a f?ortune
Statutory declaration, perhaps?
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:21 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Have you tried asking the minister what document he requires as proof ?

Presumably he has made this request to other couples also, so must have some idea about the document he is expecting to recieve from you.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 2:28 pm
Kiwified member

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Have you tried asking the minister what document he requires as proof ?

Presumably he has made this request to other couples also, so must have some idea about the document he is expecting to recieve from you.
Good thinking batman!
Old Jan 21st 2004, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks

Thanks....keep them coming, will be back if we make no progress!
Old Jan 21st 2004, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

redbod will become famous soon enough

Phillipa

I don't know if it hepls but a few years ago I was married out in Kenya and all that was required was a signed affidavit from a solicitor on behalf of both myself and prospective husband..........

how about he goes to an oz travel agent and see if they arrange weddings abroad???????? I know uk isn't tropical in anyone's imagineation but hey heres clutching at straws....good luck
Old Jan 21st 2004, 6:40 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Sounds like eastenders

Legally speaking the minister can only "ask" have you been or are you still married, are you divorced and have you got a decree nisi"

id check with another minister !!!
Old Jan 21st 2004, 6:43 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

LEGAL NOTE:

But can I marry a foreign national in the Church of England?
Yes, but you would need a Common License and the local clergy would help you to obtain this.

and heres a link

http://www.thisisessex.co.uk/essex/w...eddedlife.html
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Reliable family source in Church of England says its daft - all you need to do is state whether you have been married or not, and if you have been married before you have to produce proof that the marriage has ended for whatever reason - death, divorce etc.

Try ringing the local Diocescan office - the bishop in each area has a diocesan office attached to the cathedral, I can't help you find it cos I have to get off to work, but the bishop is the ministers boss and his office should know (I'm assuming this is a C of E wedding, if not try the equivalent for the appropriate religion.

Good luck
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

The look of contentment on your faces should prove that you are not yet married I jest!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.