Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How outdoorsie is Melbourne/Brisbane REALLY for a family?

How outdoorsie is Melbourne/Brisbane REALLY for a family?

Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How outdoorsie is Melbourne/Brisbane REALLY for a family?

Originally Posted by GarryP
Well, when I'm talking to the people who created NHSDirect as to what they were trying to overcome, etc. then yeah, because a large part of the problem is that the general GP would never see themselves as part of the problem, nor see how their unions acted to nobble changes.

Nope, they are just the refrain that I've heard before. Same ol' same ol'.

And from the necessary change, even if the patients would be better off with that change. Your profession, right or wrong.

Remember, it's not my agenda, I got out of that arena because it was so dysfunctional and broken. The problem that was foreseen at the time was that the baby boomers were going to retire ~65, meaning less wage earners and tax payers at the same time as those now elderly baby boomers were at the most expensive part of their lives for medical services and support.

The two thing come together in a crunch that can't be fixed. You can't pile yet more money into healthcare, because the tax revenues are going down. So, either you cut healthcare, or you change the system. And to their credit the politicians tried to do the later - to revise the system so that the same level of care COULD be delivered to more people for less money.

And it got killed by the doctors. In combination with some horrible incompetence in the specification of the systems, by the doctors (not the managers, they didn't write the requirements). About the only bit that got through was NICE.

Guess what the only option left is now ...
That there kind of kills your argument, as tax revenues are going up.

Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Well, when I'm talking to the people who created NHSDirect as to what they were trying to overcome, etc. then yeah, because a large part of the problem is that the general GP would never see themselves as part of the problem, nor see how their unions acted to nobble changes.
Ah, so your mates didn't make the millions they hoped for! Or did they and wanted more?
GPs in the UK welcome anything to relieve the pressure they are under. There is a desperate shortage . They don't get paid per patient consult so there is no need to be antagonistic to NHS Direct. In theory it should have helped.
Instead it created more work, trying to limit the damage.
They gave out dangerous reassuring advice to some in need of urgent care and gave out ridiculous "needs to be seen urgently" advice to those who could have been reassured. The reason we didn't like it was because of harm to patients not ourselves. You won't believe it as you have blinkers on and likely spend your day in a basement interacting with computers rather than real life human beings.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:53 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Can we draw a line under the AI discussion, or start a new thread - maybe in the lounge - and get this thread back somewhere near topic pleas

Ta Muchly
Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:57 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That there kind of kills your argument, as tax revenues are going up.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...Xio2oVc-ouV-9v
Sigh

Why do you think they have been trying to push up the retirement age?
Old Jun 24th 2017, 4:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh ....
My thoughts entirely

Old Jun 24th 2017, 6:07 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
My thoughts entirely

Keep getting suckered into pigeon chess ...

Anywho, the outdoorsie thing between UK and Aus is interesting. Every part of the UK is a consequence of someone mucking around with it in some way. Even the 'wild' bits are actually cultivated and shaped by thousands of years of human attention and bending to their will.

Australia, on the other hand, has much of that looks like no one has ever given a fig. Of course you'll get the claims that the aboriginal inhabitants have been tending and shaping the land for tens of thousands of years. However, that's a stone age culture, and not one particularly up for even a stone circle or hill fort. Hence it not had much practical impact (except on megafauna).

Upshot of all this is that really getting away from civilisation (or AIs) is much easier/more possible here than in the UK. There I could walk out my door and within 4-5miles being in the 'countryside'. However it was countryside that was managed, walking beside a canal, with regular pubs along the route (plus point there). Here I could walk beyond the ever expanding conurbation, to a point used for filming Mad Max (and not a decent pub to be found). Still slightly managed, but the transition away from the suburbs is much sharper, and the gaps between civilisation much greater.

I guess it helps you feel less hemmed in, in a way I doubt the OP would get from a distance. Plus the aussie seem to actively want to avoid it and stick to their inner city coffee bars, so there is that as well.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 7:12 am

Keep getting suckered into pigeon chess ...

Anywho, the outdoorsie thing between UK and Aus is interesting. Every part of the UK is a consequence of someone mucking around with it in some way. Even the 'wild' bits are actually cultivated and shaped by thousands of years of human attention and bending to their will.

Australia, on the other hand, has much of that looks like no one has ever given a fig. Of course you'll get the claims that the aboriginal inhabitants have been tending and shaping the land for tens of thousands of years. However, that's a stone age culture, and not one particularly up for even a stone circle or hill fort. Hence it not had much practical impact (except on megafauna).

Upshot of all this is that really getting away from civilisation (or AIs) is much easier/more possible here than in the UK. There I could walk out my door and within 4-5miles being in the 'countryside'. However it was countryside that was managed, walking beside a canal, with regular pubs along the route (plus point there). Here I could walk beyond the ever expanding conurbation, to a point used for filming Mad Max (and not a decent pub to be found). Still slightly managed, but the transition away from the suburbs is much sharper, and the gaps between civilisation much greater.

I guess it helps you feel less hemmed in, in a way I doubt the OP would get from a distance. Plus the aussie seem to actively want to avoid it and stick to their inner city coffee bars, so there is that as well.
It's very quiet where I am (north of Adelaide on the edge of the Barossa), and I wouldn't have to drive for too long to be in the middle of nowhere so to speak.

I've been to Melbourne briefly and it wasn't a place I thought I'd want to live in - but as said it was only a brief visit.

I've not made it to Brisbane at all yet so can't pass comment but would have thought it was likely to feel a bit less claustrophobic. Maybe next year I'll go and have a nose
Old Jun 24th 2017, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
My thoughts entirely

Boring ...... zzzzzzzz