Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How outdoorsie is Melbourne/Brisbane REALLY for a family?

How outdoorsie is Melbourne/Brisbane REALLY for a family?

Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How outdoorsie is Melbourne/Brisbane REALLY for a family?

More of the Great Outdoors: Vic has great destinations but if you are a walker/hiker then get used to the idea that a lot of waking in AU has limited vis at times. Loads of scrub for miles, or all day. Trees.

The UK has a lot more moor, open and rolling landscape. That said the VIc and Nsw alps are more 'advanced' than some of the low lying UK areas. I go to these places for more views. Twice the height of Mt Snowden for example.

Ski touring in NSw and vic : more on offer than say Wales or Scotland.

National park walks are well signed in the majority.

It's all well organised here. Loads of programmes whether it's surf rescue or basketball.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:32 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
When I did a few years growing up in Australia this was far from the case. All the kids in the street played cricket in the street or kicked a football around or swam in others pools. There was some sporting fields at the end of the street where kids would often congregate, ride bikes, skateboards etc, climb the trees, build houses with what tree limbs we could find. I remember one particular rainy day where we turned a grassy hill into a massive slide, covering ourselves in grass and mud to our mothers horror.

Unless things have changed over the decades, or you live in a rather odd area, I'm not sure how the above can occur.
It's still like that here, Beoz.

I'm sure they all still disappear indoors at the end of the day to watch the telly, play with their playstations and troll the world on their electronic devices - but while it's light, they're out in the street, terrorising the neighbourhood
Old Jun 19th 2017, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
It's still like that here, Beoz.

I'm sure they all still disappear indoors at the end of the day to watch the telly, play with their playstations and troll the world on their electronic devices - but while it's light, they're out in the street, terrorising the neighbourhood
Awesome. Good to hear. Fresh air is good.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 9:38 am
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Isn't that a bit of a double-edged sword though? Surely if you end up with teens leaving school with minimal exposure to technology they are at a disadvantage in today's job market? Even entry level admin are expected to have a wide range of computer skills, and certainly our department wouldn't employ someone who had no experience or skills in that area.
It's surprising though how children adapt. After attending such a school (which only goes until age 14) there is still time to pick up experience with technology and I'm sure most of the children would get at least some exposure at home, even if it's discouraged. My little ones, although only 6, 5 and 2 don't have iPads and neither will I get them one. My husband has one for work which belongs to his work and on that my eldest does mathletics which is an app for schools for maths. He goes on it maybe once a week. They do watch television but just CBeebies or anther childrens channel as that has Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol. But they don't watch any adult shows (only a bit of Children In Need and Comic Relief once a year). My wish for them isn't to do a computer based job in life unless they WANT to. They've shown no interest. But I something makes me feel uneasy about a life lived sat behind a desk, in an office, all day every day as I did for years and years. I would look outside the window and just think, "this is my life. Time is literally ticking away...my life is ticking away...and I'm behind a desk in an uncomfortable chair all day, every day. And I actually liked where I worked and loved the people there. My eldest wants to be a doctor (surgeon eventually...I can only wish!) and my middle child wants to be a palaeontologist. So while obviously they'll need to know how to use a computer, if they achieve their dream jobs, they won't need to know how to write computer programmes and the like. My friend and her sister, to my surprise, (I've known her nearly 20 years and only found out a few weeks ago), never attended school. They chose to go to college and university with their parents support and encouragement but prior to that they never went to school. Both are highly accomplished in their careers, with a first rate degree and a masters degree. So long as the parents encourage learning and discovery, reading (which studies show should be done around age 7) and self development, commitment and concentration, I think children will be fine so long as they do go on to get formal qualifications. That I believe is vital. Television, iPads and phones etc. do teach children to not be able to just sit and play using concentration, imagination, being peaceful, sitting still and relaxing. Three have been a lot of links with technology and ADHD, lack of concentration and stress and anxiety in children. It's really interesting when you look in to it.

Last edited by ABD79; Jun 19th 2017 at 9:41 am.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

I found that I have to do different activities. Yes its too hot here in the summer to go outdoors. Yes this is mostly a very boring ugly country with a lack of water. Plan accordingly.

You cannot pack a picnic and go into the wilds and expect a lovely experience. Try the beach or a park instead.

Creepy crawlies aren't THAT much of a problem but you will want to swap your activities around to take into account the seasons.

I used to mountain bike (f**k that), now I kayak. I used to forage in hedge rows, now I do a brisk walk on the promenade in the evenings when its cool enough.

I used to drink lots of ale but now I've switched to wine. I used to eat curry now I BBQ wallabies. You get my point.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
It's surprising though how children adapt. After attending such a school (which only goes until age 14) there is still time to pick up experience with technology and I'm sure most of the children would get at least some exposure at home, even if it's discouraged. My little ones, although only 6, 5 and 2 don't have iPads and neither will I get them one. My husband has one for work which belongs to his work and on that my eldest does mathletics which is an app for schools for maths. He goes on it maybe once a week. They do watch television but just CBeebies or anther childrens channel as that has Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol. But they don't watch any adult shows (only a bit of Children In Need and Comic Relief once a year). My wish for them isn't to do a computer based job in life unless they WANT to. They've shown no interest. But I something makes me feel uneasy about a life lived sat behind a desk, in an office, all day every day as I did for years and years. I would look outside the window and just think, "this is my life. Time is literally ticking away...my life is ticking away...and I'm behind a desk in an uncomfortable chair all day, every day. And I actually liked where I worked and loved the people there. My eldest wants to be a doctor (surgeon eventually...I can only wish!) and my middle child wants to be a palaeontologist. So while obviously they'll need to know how to use a computer, if they achieve their dream jobs, they won't need to know how to write computer programmes and the like. My friend and her sister, to my surprise, (I've known her nearly 20 years and only found out a few weeks ago), never attended school. They chose to go to college and university with their parents support and encouragement but prior to that they never went to school. Both are highly accomplished in their careers, with a first rate degree and a masters degree. So long as the parents encourage learning and discovery, reading (which studies show should be done around age 7) and self development, commitment and concentration, I think children will be fine so long as they do go on to get formal qualifications. That I believe is vital. Television, iPads and phones etc. do teach children to not be able to just sit and play using concentration, imagination, being peaceful, sitting still and relaxing. Three have been a lot of links with technology and ADHD, lack of concentration and stress and anxiety in children. It's really interesting when you look in to it.
Technology is great but I like to put it in its place: there is actually something quite vulgar about people that obsess with it.

Programming : it will become low paid possibly, only Indians and low paid migrants will be prepared to handle all the fuss with all the frameworks....who knows...
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
I found that I have to do different activities. Yes its too hot here in the summer to go outdoors. Yes this is mostly a very boring ugly country with a lack of water. Plan accordingly.

You cannot pack a picnic and go into the wilds and expect a lovely experience. Try the beach or a park instead.

Creepy crawlies aren't THAT much of a problem but you will want to swap your activities around to take into account the seasons.

I used to mountain bike (f**k that), now I kayak. I used to forage in hedge rows, now I do a brisk walk on the promenade in the evenings when its cool enough.

I used to drink lots of ale but now I've switched to wine. I used to eat curry now I BBQ wallabies. You get my point.
Where do you live? Sounds miserable?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Technology is great but I like to put it in its place: there is actually something quite vulgar about people that obsess with it.

Programming : it will become low paid possibly, only Indians and low paid migrants will be prepared to handle all the fuss with all the frameworks....who knows...
Hmmmm. Only when they learn to work in a team, learn to say "no I can't do that", give you an accurate deliverable date, understand programming is as much about user experience as it is about the ones and zeros.

Until then, go local every day of the week.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

The most powerful Indian technologists in Silicon Valley
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...silicon-valley
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by geoff52
The most powerful Indian technologists in Silicon Valley
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...silicon-valley
Two things make him distinct.

He's not in India and he's paid very well.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
My wish for them isn't to do a computer based job in life unless they WANT to. They've shown no interest. But I something makes me feel uneasy about a life lived sat behind a desk, in an office, all day every day as I did for years and years. I would look outside the window and just think, "this is my life. Time is literally ticking away...my life is ticking away...and I'm behind a desk in an uncomfortable chair all day, every day. And I actually liked where I worked and loved the people there. My eldest wants to be a doctor (surgeon eventually...I can only wish!) and my middle child wants to be a palaeontologist. So while obviously they'll need to know how to use a computer, if they achieve their dream jobs, they won't need to know how to write computer programmes and the like..
Not every office job is the same! I don't know how to write computer programmes. Mine isn't advertised as a 'computer based job'. Its a weather based job - I look out of the window and see the rain that pays my wages But every shift involves use of numerous computer programmes, some for the weather, some for reports, some for mass communication. Four screens per desk, 12 hours of computer-based work. And our actual meteorologists have even more programmes to manipulate than we do!

Your eldest will have to deal with a huge amount of developing technology in the medical profession, even if he isn't sat at a desk. Technology, computers, phones, ipads etc isn't restricted to sitting at desks these day, its far more wide ranging, and I honestly believe that kids entering the job market now with little or no technological skills will be at a disadvantage. Thats not saying I agree with it, its just saying its a fact of life.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:41 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that's me, vulgar as muck.

Not every office job is the same! I don't know how to write computer programmes.
FYI Computer programs tend to with the american spelling ....

Mine isn't advertised as a 'computer based job'. Its a weather based job - I look out of the window and see the rain that pays my wages But every shift involves use of numerous computer programmes, some for the weather, some for reports, some for mass communication. Four screens per desk, 12 hours of computer-based work. And our actual meteorologists have even more programmes to manipulate than we do!
Someone needs to get used to virtualising those programs on windows of one desktop ....

Your eldest will have to deal with a huge amount of developing technology in the medical profession, even if he isn't sat at a desk. Technology, computers, phones, ipads etc isn't restricted to sitting at desks these day, its far more wide ranging, and I honestly believe that kids entering the job market now with little or no technological skills will be at a disadvantage. Thats not saying I agree with it, its just saying its a fact of life.
Reality is that 50% of today's jobs will disappear (and I'd say that many doctor type jobs will be amongst them) and those that remain will often be employing, or overseeing, AIs doing much of the work. By the time today's youngsters are wanting to earn a living, they will need an understanding not only of what we have now, but how and when they can add value to AIs that might have narrow focus, but that are as smart as they are.

For the teenagers of today, now, I'd be saying get up to speed on deep learning and connecting together AI services to advantage. The days of being able to get by on a little Word, a little Windows, is rapidly passing by. Talk cloud and big data instead.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:55 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

FYI Computer programs tend to with the american spelling ....
My laptop has an aversion to American spelling

Someone needs to get used to virtualising those programs on windows of one desktop ....
Wouldn't work, we need the large screen areas to be able to constantly compare various sites, and we have to be actively monitoring and able to see several different windows on a large scale simultaneously.
IT did mock up something for us a year or so back in an attempt to reduce the number of screens on the desk, but we all voted to retain the four screen setup. Having all the screens visible at once is preferable for monitoring job queues and alerts for 000 and SES for instance.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 1:07 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

My laptop has an aversion to American spelling
Yep, but like metre and meter - as things have turned out computer code gets one spelling and TV shows another, generally.

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/get...the-programme/

Wouldn't work, we need the large screen areas to be able to constantly compare various sites, and we have to be actively monitoring and able to see several different windows on a large scale simultaneously.
IT did mock up something for us a year or so back in an attempt to reduce the number of screens on the desk, but we all voted to retain the four screen setup. Having all the screens visible at once is preferable for monitoring job queues and alerts for 000 and SES for instance.
We went through similar back in the day - but today you'd generally run a 4K TV as a monitor - resolution + size at a cheap price with greater flexibility.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 3:33 pm
Home and Happy

Yep, but like metre and meter - as things have turned out computer code gets one spelling and TV shows another, generally.

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/get...the-programme/

We went through similar back in the day - but today you'd generally run a 4K TV as a monitor - resolution + size at a cheap price with greater flexibility.
We are talking about Queensland government.....they have just discovered Outlook 2010...........and the only clouds round here are the ones we are watching on the radar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.