Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How outdoorsie is Melbourne/Brisbane REALLY for a family?

How outdoorsie is Melbourne/Brisbane REALLY for a family?

Old Jun 16th 2017, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How outdoorsie is Melbourne/Brisbane REALLY for a family?

Originally Posted by quoll
Personally I am one of those who are much more outdoors in UK than Aus. Living in suburbia (which most Aussies do) doesn't lend itself to the same den building, tree climbing, bike riding stuff that you may now be enjoying - it's not just the bugs and biters but the environment. You're fine if you can land yourself 1/4 acre somewhere but the trend is now for big McMansions on tiny blocks. In suburbia, too, you're more likely to find the garage door syndrome with fewer opportunities for kids to play out in the street with other kids (they're often inside playing with their wiis or trawling the malls). You might find you have to do more organising for outdoor activities than having the kids being spontaneous.
When I did a few years growing up in Australia this was far from the case. All the kids in the street played cricket in the street or kicked a football around or swam in others pools. There was some sporting fields at the end of the street where kids would often congregate, ride bikes, skateboards etc, climb the trees, build houses with what tree limbs we could find. I remember one particular rainy day where we turned a grassy hill into a massive slide, covering ourselves in grass and mud to our mothers horror.

Unless things have changed over the decades, or you live in a rather odd area, I'm not sure how the above can occur.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane weather is very mild and it's not that hot in summer. Spiders and snakes are not a big issue. Loads of activities focus on the outdoors here. Plenty of parks along the river with walking and bike paths. Free Bbq's, swimming pools, council bikes for hire, council run school holiday programs. Riverlife in the Brisbane city have paid activities like kayaking and abseiling. Google New Farm Park, the Morton Bay Fig trees there have a playground designed around them specifally tailored for kids to climb them. They're always full of kids practicing their climbing skills. There's a concert venue (Riverstage) in the heart of the city with free ballets, concerts every year - everyone brings their wine and picnic hamper.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
When I did a few years growing up in Australia this was far from the case. All the kids in the street played cricket in the street or kicked a football around or swam in others pools. There was some sporting fields at the end of the street where kids would often congregate, ride bikes, skateboards etc, climb the trees, build houses with what tree limbs we could find. I remember one particular rainy day where we turned a grassy hill into a massive slide, covering ourselves in grass and mud to our mothers horror.

Unless things have changed over the decades, or you live in a rather odd area, I'm not sure how the above can occur.
Things have changed over the decades, my boys were out and about 30 years ago but parents have become much more aware of dangers, there're more "play dates" than spontaneity, technology is far more advanced so there is more for kids to stay indoors for. In suburbia there are fewer places to congregate now too, with public land being used for building where there used to be vacant lots. I'd say things have changed a lot actually. That said, my granddaughter did score her first black eye the other day when she and her skateboard parted ways over a bump! (Takes after her dad!) But, they were on a play date at the time, not just out in the street/garden.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 10:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen a poisonous snake or spider in Sydney. Apparently poisonous spiders exist somewhere, but if you can find, point it out to me.
Not very often you and I agree, but this is one time we do. 11 years and I can count the times on 1 finger that I've seen a snake. And that was flat across the road about 50 km from where I live, near a nature reserve. As for spiders, they're no different to spiders anywhere. Use some common sense and you won't get bitten. It's not as if they lie in wait for some unsuspecting person so they can bite them.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Things have changed over the decades, my boys were out and about 30 years ago but parents have become much more aware of dangers, there're more "play dates" than spontaneity, technology is far more advanced so there is more for kids to stay indoors for. In suburbia there are fewer places to congregate now too, with public land being used for building where there used to be vacant lots. I'd say things have changed a lot actually. That said, my granddaughter did score her first black eye the other day when she and her skateboard parted ways over a bump! (Takes after her dad!) But, they were on a play date at the time, not just out in the street/garden.
Our family had an Atari growing up. There were strict rules on its use plus the use of TV time.

Do those rules no longer apply?
Old Jun 16th 2017, 10:48 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I think I get where you're coming from, OP. My husband grew up with woodlands adjacent to his garden and spent his childhood free roaming in them. When we had kids he passed that enthusiasm on. There's a huge difference between going for a walk/ ramble and the way we used to spend time in the countryside in the UK with the kids. When we brought them here when they were still quite young I remember my husband being quite upset that our daughter was bitten by something the first time she climbed a tree and that we had to teach them they couldn't just scramble off into the undergrowth to the same extent. The heat, the UV, and the various biters and stingers don't have to prevent you from doing stuff outdoors but they do change your relationship with the outdoors. Everything needs more forethought and planning and we tend to have a more urbanised relationship with the outdoors than we did in the UK. E.g. my daughter and her dad are out doing a Park Run this morning, daughter has surfing lessons, we use our local outdoor pools heaps, we have loads of stunning walks all around us but we tend to stick to paths and it's different to the wild places that were 'ours' in the UK. I am certain that our kids have had a more active childhood and teens than they would have had in the UK because facilities are just so much better but we had to adjust our relationship with the outdoors a bit. It's hard to explain but I'm hoping you might get what I mean. It's all part of adapting.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Our family had an Atari growing up. There were strict rules on its use plus the use of TV time.

Do those rules no longer apply?
No because even school work and homework requires the use of a laptop, ipad or mobile phone app. So little buggers are supposedly doing homework but really watching Dance Mums or listening to really crap rap music (depending on the child).
Old Jun 17th 2017, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kim67
No because even school work and homework requires the use of a laptop, ipad or mobile phone app. So little buggers are supposedly doing homework but really watching Dance Mums or listening to really crap rap music (depending on the child).
Can't you just lock it down so the only thing they can use is the specified app?
Old Jun 17th 2017, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can't you just lock it down so the only thing they can use is the specified app?
I'm sure you can but kids are more tech savvy than most sdults these days. They've even found a way around the blocked Netflix at school.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm sure you can but kids are more tech savvy than most sdults these days. They've even found a way around the blocked Netflix at school.
It aint that hard to lock it down. Start a new thread. Plenty will show you how.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It aint that hard to lock it down. Start a new thread. Plenty will show you how.
That presupposes the parents can be bothered to do so. Many are just happy that the kids are quiet and not bothering them
Old Jun 17th 2017, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That presupposes the parents can be bothered to do so. Many are just happy that the kids are quiet and not bothering them
Bit a discipline never hurt us back in the day.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: How outdoorsie is Melbourne/Brisbane REALLY for a family?

Yeah i'm a terrible parent. But makes all the perfect ones feel better about themselves.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 1:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i'm a terrible parent. But makes all the perfect ones feel better about themselves.
Strange how your kids have turned out so lovely with such a dreadful mum
Old Jun 18th 2017, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Up side of kids using the net when they are supposed to be doing homework is they become very good multitaskers. My 3rd Daughter, the one doing the electrical engineering degree is able to do both and has used that skill to her advantage in a major way in her working life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.