Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much should a 20' container cost to ship to Oz?

How much should a 20' container cost to ship to Oz?

Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

SammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to all
Default Re: How much should a 20' container cost to ship to Oz?

Originally Posted by paul090971
or box 75% of your stuff yourself, order a container to be delivered to your address , load everything into it, ship it over, sort out your own insurance,which is easy, upto a port in oz should be about £1500 max
I didn't realise you could do that either! Anyone know who to approach for just a container? If I can knock £2k off my shipping costs, I'll be a very happy bunny!

Sam
Old Jun 29th 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paul090971
or box 75% of your stuff yourself, order a container to be delivered to your address , load everything into it, ship it over, sort out your own insurance,which is easy, upto a port in oz should be about £1500 max
just curious, can you still do that if you are shipping a car with it?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

peanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nice

Originally Posted by welovebonds
We have just booked with Robinson's and 20ft container is £3,630 plus insurance. I have to say we had 3 quotes and they all came in around the same price. It isn't a cheap process this moving overseas. But they will pack and unpack so one less thing to have to worry about and the crew are local and full time employees.
We'll let you know as they are moving us on the 18th & 19th August and then we fly on the 20th!!!
We had Robinsons move us over here in 2006 and it took until this year for them to pay out on my claim and that was only because I started ringing the UK insurance company directly and eventually crying down the phone made them payout. The Robinsons packers were awful, they were contract workers who didnt even remove drawers from cupboards or anything. Make sure you watch the packers like hawks. Thats of course if you can get them off there mobiles.[/U]
Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

jorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the roughjorose is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ShoreyM
Woah yes !! I have a 3 bed detached, 2 young boys and am taking everything with us. We too have been told we'll need a 20ft container but have been quoted £3,300 by John Mason. IF you search on here you'll find lots of threads regarding shipping which will give you an idea of good companies to use. Good luck.
Hi there

Where do you intend shipping to? Just had a mega expensive (£200 more than yours) quote from the same company for shared container to Sydney. We have a 2 bed terraced and there is only the 2 of us. Just wondering so we can do some bartering or tell them to get lost.

Thanks.

Jo
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jorose
Hi there

Where do you intend shipping to? Just had a mega expensive (£200 more than yours) quote from the same company for shared container to Sydney. We have a 2 bed terraced and there is only the 2 of us. Just wondering so we can do some bartering or tell them to get lost.

Thanks.

Jo
Hi just had a requote from white & co to GC at £3200 and Atlantic at £3180..spent a bit of time playing one off against the other!! Getting insurance for £25k thro Letton Percival at £420 all risks..thats loads cheaper than the shippers quoted.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Originally Posted by jorose
Hi there

Thanks.

Jo
We live in Great Sutton (Wirral) and are going to Perth in September. I did haggle them down as I'd had a cheaper quote. They finally quoted £3,100 on the slow boat and an extra £200 for the faster option, which is what we've settled on. Good luck.