Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much should a 20' container cost to ship to Oz?

How much should a 20' container cost to ship to Oz?

Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:35 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default How much should a 20' container cost to ship to Oz?

I've had an estimate for around £5,000-£6,000 (including packing). Does this sound about right? Can it be done for less?

- CDM
Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice
Default Re: How much should a 20' container cost to ship to Oz?

Woah yes !! I have a 3 bed detached, 2 young boys and am taking everything with us. We too have been told we'll need a 20ft container but have been quoted £3,300 by John Mason. IF you search on here you'll find lots of threads regarding shipping which will give you an idea of good companies to use. Good luck.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:03 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Been quote 3560 to melbourne by John Mason, £3385 by Britannia for 20ft and 4489 for a 40ft!

This includes packing but not the insurance or customs charges.

Ali x
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CDM
I've had an estimate for around £5,000-£6,000 (including packing). Does this sound about right? Can it be done for less?

- CDM
Hi there
We had a quote from Crown for 3 bed semi (Just under 20ft I think) and it was £2750 plus the insurance.
Shop around and get a few different quotes and don't be afraid to haggle with the price, good luck.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

Seems well expensive....We are going with Atlantic £3k plus insurance
Old Jun 13th 2008, 6:23 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by grahampaula
Hi there
We had a quote from Crown for 3 bed semi (Just under 20ft I think) and it was £2750 plus the insurance.
Shop around and get a few different quotes and don't be afraid to haggle with the price, good luck.
That sounds like a great price. Did that include them packing/unpacking? How much was insurance?

- CDM
Old Jun 13th 2008, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

welovebonds is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just booked with Robinson's and 20ft container is £3,630 plus insurance. I have to say we had 3 quotes and they all came in around the same price. It isn't a cheap process this moving overseas. But they will pack and unpack so one less thing to have to worry about and the crew are local and full time employees.
We'll let you know as they are moving us on the 18th & 19th August and then we fly on the 20th!!!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:20 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShoreyM
Woah yes !! I have a 3 bed detached, 2 young boys and am taking everything with us. We too have been told we'll need a 20ft container but have been quoted £3,300 by John Mason. IF you search on here you'll find lots of threads regarding shipping which will give you an idea of good companies to use. Good luck.
That is about the right price.

Buzzy
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold

I think the answer to this question is the same as how long is a piece of string.....
It depends on where you are going etc, how far from a port you are......both in UK and Oz...we have just booked our shippers (anglo) for £3800 20 foot container, from Derbyshire to Sunshine coast QLD.
Had 5 quotes ALL where very simular, so figured we where not been completely ripped off!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

We moved to Adelaide in march and a 20ft container with pss was £3350 plus insurance. The only thing we had damaged was the frame on a wall mirror.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:39 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CDM
- CDM
Sounds wayyyy over -the other replies are in the right area, I think.

Be aware that there's more than one sort of 20' container. An NOR is a Non-Operative Refrigerated container and will hold somewhere around 900 cu ft* whereas a GP is a General Purpose container and will do up to around 1050.

Cheers
b

* These are approx figures quoted to me by shipping agents
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future

we paid about 5,000 for a 20 ft container - used doree bonner and they packed and Grace unpacked this end. Can't fault Grace (Australia removals) they were great, very professional, careful with everything and put together beds and stuff for me. Dorree Bonner were a different matter - packers were ok when being watched contantly or asked to add more packing to glass etc but when they weren't being wathched they just chucked stuff in boxes any old how with no packing material, care or consideration. Also one guy was polish and couldn't speak any english and we found out when we received everything that he'd labelled all his boxes 'tools' so of course customs opened them all!!!! Customs were even more careless than the packers when they were putting stuff back in the boxes and many many sentimental things are damaged beyond repair due to doree bonners inadaqucy

Oh - the best bit was the box of 4 paintings with glass over them, packed in a box with 2 x 25 kg weights in the middle of the box!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:56 am
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

We paid £3,100 for a 20 ft container mcgimpsys they were very good jesus thats expensive
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:55 pm
Banned

paul090971 is an unknown quantity at this point

or box 75% of your stuff yourself, order a container to be delivered to your address , load everything into it, ship it over, sort out your own insurance,which is easy, upto a port in oz should be about £1500 max
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:41 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paul090971
or box 75% of your stuff yourself, order a container to be delivered to your address , load everything into it, ship it over, sort out your own insurance,which is easy, upto a port in oz should be about £1500 max
I didn't realise you could do that. How do you go about 'shipping it over'? Can that part be taken care of by a shipping company? I don't mind packing and loading myself.

- CDM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.