Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much equity?

How much equity?

Old Dec 1st 2006, 10:43 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much equity?

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Hello all, have been reading this thread, and to be honest i try not to read these ones as they send me into panic mode, I can see, and i say this with caution, where fluffy is coming from, sometimes it does feel like rubbing salt into the wounds, good on ya all for having lots of dosh, but like fluffy we have worked all our lives (am a nurse , oh a printer and we have always worked full-time , except for the last few years where i have been 30 hrs plus a call, so can average 40hrs), but its just the way our lives have turned out, not through lack of work, i would say just lack of luck

We are moving to mellie shortly and have very limited funds and being the grand old age of 42 with two kids it fills me with fear :scared: , recently our house has went on the market , and i use another forum, i was dead excited coz it went on for more than i expected and posted the amount on the forum, then i felt awful, and remembered there may be people worse off than me, and went back and deleted the amount and used other wording, and i hope this would be perceived as good manners

Good post Mags.

I am sure there are alot of people on this forum who are going with very little money and dare not mention it for fear of being criticised.

Well let me be one to say that we too are going with very little, we have no house and as for all the 'Aussie luxuries' including the pool and the two cars? No thanks, not a priority.

We are going with a very strict budget that allows for the basics.

Settling in, making friends and working our nuts off to strive for each and every thing we buy, now that is a priority.

I dont think its a competition of 'we are going with this amount' but it seems that those with a lesser amount are called 'brave' for making the move without less than £250,000.

There is nothing special or brave about the amount of cash that you take with you, it is the battling through homesickness, starting a new job, making new friends, moving into a new house and not giving in to an uncontrollable urge to go back to what is familiar to you - that is real bravery.

But I say it again - we have no house and no large amount of savings to offer us the privilege of buying everything at once when we get out there.

Bring it on because I can't wait.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Well our Oz funds have just gone up $11,800.
Just sold my car
Just the house and wife's car to go

We will be bringing as many Pacific pesos as we can

When we moved from the UK 3 years ago we tried and tried to bring everything we could, closed savings account, cashed in ISA's, endowments the lot. We even had a house we owned outright and sold that, regret that now.
In the end we brought over 156K did it make us happy......no, we lasted 8 months and went back. We then lasted 10 days in the UK and came back to NZ. We now have about the same as we started with but are very, very happy.
Money does not make it harder or easier its just there (if you know what I mean)

Ian
That's the sort of post I was looking for!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 10:59 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Well our Oz funds have just gone up $11,800.
Just sold my car
Just the house and wife's car to go

We will be bringing as many Pacific pesos as we can

When we moved from the UK 3 years ago we tried and tried to bring everything we could, closed savings account, cashed in ISA's, endowments the lot. We even had a house we owned outright and sold that, regret that now.
In the end we brought over 156K did it make us happy......no, we lasted 8 months and went back. We then lasted 10 days in the UK and came back to NZ. We now have about the same as we started with but are very, very happy.
Money does not make it harder or easier its just there (if you know what I mean)

Ian
I agree , that's a lovely post, you sound like you live life to the full.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:12 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Good post Mags.

I am sure there are alot of people on this forum who are going with very little money and dare not mention it for fear of being criticised.

Well let me be one to say that we too are going with very little, we have no house and as for all the 'Aussie luxuries' including the pool and the two cars? No thanks, not a priority.

We are going with a very strict budget that allows for the basics.

Settling in, making friends and working our nuts off to strive for each and every thing we buy, now that is a priority.

I dont think its a competition of 'we are going with this amount' but it seems that those with a lesser amount are called 'brave' for making the move without less than £250,000.

There is nothing special or brave about the amount of cash that you take with you, it is the battling through homesickness, starting a new job, making new friends, moving into a new house and not giving in to an uncontrollable urge to go back to what is familiar to you - that is real bravery.

But I say it again - we have no house and no large amount of savings to offer us the privilege of buying everything at once when we get out there.

Bring it on because I can't wait.

thats the fighting spirit that we are all going to taking with us when we go, were going to rebuile out lives to a standard that we cannot achive in the UK.

We are an outdoors family who dnt do keeping up with the Jones' and buying allo the lates gadgets and gizmos.

where abouts are you looking at heading off to PP?

The desire and will to succeed will make sure our new lives Down Unfer will be very fruitlful and enjoyable, but more importantly will give our kids a very enjoyable childhood and a great startin life thus leading to a very enjoyable life which the way the UK is going is not really achievable.

we dnt aim to make or have a fortune just be happy enjoy the new lives that we all shall be having.

We know it is going to be real hard at times but i am sure qwe will make lots of friends who have been in the same situation and they will help us along the way.

I have a friend who lives in Adelaide he has been out there for 10 1/2 years so he knows how hard it can be, and he has said he will help us as much as he can to help us to make it out there.

With friends like that what more could you ask for.

Good luck everyone in whichever direction you lives may go.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 11:57 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
thats the fighting spirit that we are all going to taking with us when we go, were going to rebuile out lives to a standard that we cannot achive in the UK.

We are an outdoors family who dnt do keeping up with the Jones' and buying allo the lates gadgets and gizmos.

where abouts are you looking at heading off to PP?

The desire and will to succeed will make sure our new lives Down Unfer will be very fruitlful and enjoyable, but more importantly will give our kids a very enjoyable childhood and a great startin life thus leading to a very enjoyable life which the way the UK is going is not really achievable.

we dnt aim to make or have a fortune just be happy enjoy the new lives that we all shall be having.

We know it is going to be real hard at times but i am sure qwe will make lots of friends who have been in the same situation and they will help us along the way.

I have a friend who lives in Adelaide he has been out there for 10 1/2 years so he knows how hard it can be, and he has said he will help us as much as he can to help us to make it out there.

With friends like that what more could you ask for.

Good luck everyone in whichever direction you lives may go.
We are going to West Leederville or Subiaco.

Although there is no sign of the visa yet so at the moment, we shall just stick to dreaming about it.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Django is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Transportation officially ceased in 1853; the last ship arrived in 1867.
Shame really. I could have committed a petty crime and got the British government to pay for my visa, medicals and transport. Born 160 years too late.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

I dont think its a competition of 'we are going with this amount' but it seems that those with a lesser amount are called 'brave' for making the move without less than £250,000

Would be fab going over with that amount but we are both in our early thirties and who has built up that amount of savings in there early 30/40's?!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Have to say that I am amazed at how wealthy the majority of posters on this thread seem to be. Most seem to be bringing more equity than the value of the average house in the UK

We've come over here with around 20k pounds and so have settled straight into a champagne lifestyle

Seriously as we weren't rich in the UK we wouldn't have expected to be here. We moved over for a different lifestyle and so far are loving (almost) every minute of it. I think that life is what you make of it. If you constantly worry that you don't have enough money then you'll never seem to have enough.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
Have to say that I am amazed at how wealthy the majority of posters on this thread seem to be. Most seem to be bringing more equity than the value of the average house in the UK

We've come over here with around 20k pounds and so have settled straight into a champagne lifestyle

Seriously as we weren't rich in the UK we wouldn't have expected to be here. We moved over for a different lifestyle and so far are loving (almost) every minute of it. I think that life is what you make of it. If you constantly worry that you don't have enough money then you'll never seem to have enough.
So so true !! We came over with about $3500 (money given by family) and £2000 in the bank to cover 2 months morgage and debts. (the money we where given this was spent on a rental and a fridge and beds and stuff) and we have been here a year now and we brought 3 suitcases and nothing else we have some personal stuff been sent over after our child is born and hopefully get PR in june time but everything we have we have bought with our own money and saved we have only just sold the house in uk and we made £5000 and thats all we have lol !! but having so little has made us work all the more harder to make this work and its been bloody hard but only about once or twice thought about going back to england! (missing family)

Anyway we have paid our debts and everything we owe in england and we are starting a fresh now which is a great feeling! as we have had to pay to live here and england for the past year and its been a struggle but we did it!
and to me its the start of our adventure now!

Lindzixxx

Good luck to everyone no matter what you are taking !
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

Why oh why has this thread been resurrected?
I had hoped it had made its way into room 101 - no such luck!!!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 6:00 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

The way the exchange rate is going I might have to do some sums
Old Apr 10th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
At least your going over with something.From what i've read in here there are plenty of people who are going with next to bugger all....but atl east the're going with no debt.
Just hope they dont end up in the same boat in aussie
Seems to be the odd few who can afford to go yet won't be paying off debts before they go and think that everything will be fine and they won't ever return to UK
Old Apr 10th 2007, 7:46 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LINDZI
So so true !! We came over with about $3500 (money given by family) and £2000 in the bank to cover 2 months morgage and debts. (the money we where given this was spent on a rental and a fridge and beds and stuff) and we have been here a year now and we brought 3 suitcases and nothing else we have some personal stuff been sent over after our child is born and hopefully get PR in june time but everything we have we have bought with our own money and saved we have only just sold the house in uk and we made £5000 and thats all we have lol !! but having so little has made us work all the more harder to make this work and its been bloody hard but only about once or twice thought about going back to england! (missing family)

Anyway we have paid our debts and everything we owe in england and we are starting a fresh now which is a great feeling! as we have had to pay to live here and england for the past year and its been a struggle but we did it!
and to me its the start of our adventure now!

Lindzixxx

Good luck to everyone no matter what you are taking !
Thanks for that post lindzi its very inspiring ...me and my family will be going with a small sum too (when we eventually get the ball rolling still a dream at the mo )but we too are willing to work hard to get where we want to be.Thanks again x
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Never ceases to amaze me how low mortgages were for many in the UK even for family homes.

Some people bought when homes were very cheap!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:35 am

aliread is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by h1tvd
I'm just curious to find out how much equity people will be able to take with them. We sometimes feel we will be disadvantaged coming from Scotland as house prices just aren't as high as they are in many places in England(excluding Glasgow and Edinburgh). We are hoping to move to OZ with about £120k. With a good exchange rate (2.5) we will have approx $300000. We know we won't be mortgage free but we aren't mortgage free here either!. How many people are in the enviable position of moving to OZ knowing they will have little or no mortgage? How many people are moving with no savings and are just hoping for the best! :scared:
Well we left with not much at all After we had paid of depts and everything.
We then spent the lot driving around aus in our car (which we brought with us from the Uk) and a camper trailer. We did 45,000k's and saw every bit of aus that is possible to see.
When we were finished we did not have any money left, so got jobs and saved and three months later bought a house in Brisbane and this is now where we live. Yeah we have a morgage , but i had that in the uk. But the one here is alot less and the house is alot nicer and bigger. But i would not swap the 7 months of travel for the money anyway.