Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much equity?

How much equity?

Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:11 pm
Loving Perth!

TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future
Default Re: How much equity?

Originally Posted by h1tvd
I'm just curious to find out how much equity people will be able to take with them. We sometimes feel we will be disadvantaged coming from Scotland as house prices just aren't as high as they are in many places in England(excluding Glasgow and Edinburgh). We are hoping to move to OZ with about £120k. With a good exchange rate (2.5) we will have approx $300000. We know we won't be mortgage free but we aren't mortgage free here either!. How many people are in the enviable position of moving to OZ knowing they will have little or no mortgage? How many people are moving with no savings and are just hoping for the best! :scared:

You shouldn't feel disadvantaged! After all you will have paid less for yours than people in England so the equity will be similar?!

We're going with about £12K as house not yet sold - it will have to do. England's high house prices are not always a benefit - just means people can't afford to buy ours.......
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:43 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just curious to find out how much equity people will be able to take with them. We sometimes feel we will be disadvantaged coming from Scotland as house prices just aren't as high as they are in many places in England(excluding Glasgow and Edinburgh). We are hoping to move to OZ with about £120k. With a good exchange rate (2.5) we will have approx $300000. We know we won't be mortgage free but we aren't mortgage free here either!. How many people are in the enviable position of moving to OZ knowing they will have little or no mortgage? How many people are moving with no savings and are just hoping for the best! :scared:
Cor blimey...talk about opening up the old can of worms!!!

Havent read the whole thread so dont know what people have been saying.....but, there are some of us with NO, yes, NO house to sell...that are coming out with a pocket full of savings and trying to eek out a new life!!!!!

One thing to say to you....think yourselves bloody lucky!!!!! VERY BLOODY LUCKY!!!!!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:46 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nic,

We did consider keeping our house too. The rental income would cover the mortgage and we would have something to come back to if it all went pear shaped. HOWEVER, we want the dream - the four bed house with pool. Not forgetting the jetski the OH has promised the kids!! :scared: Even with some equity the dream will only become a reality if OH can get a good job sharpish - fingers crossed.

Tracy x
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Hi.
I wouldn't feel disadvantaged taking £120.000 as that is quite a good sum. We are re-mortgaging to take £30.000 and renting our house out in the U.K.
I am virtually morgtage free here in the U.K and it does ease the pressure.
The thing is i don't live in a big 4 bed detached although my house is a good size 3 bed semi in a very good area.
My point is if i want to move or get a new car it involves debt or a morgtage again.I don't think there are many people out there who go through life without some form of debt even after clearing their morgtage.
If people do move to Oz morgtage free in time they probably borrow to do home improvements e.t.c just as in the U.K, so are back to a mortgage again albeit small.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

Originally Posted by callie.rocky
which state you going to? makes a big difference x
Brissie - hopefully
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

Havent read the whole thread so dont know what people have been saying.....but, there are some of us with NO, yes, NO house to sell...that are coming out with a pocket full of savings and trying to eek out a new life!!!!!

One thing to say to you....think yourselves bloody lucky!!!!! VERY BLOODY LUCKY!!!!!
I don't think of myself as very bloody lucky - I've had a mortgage since I was nineteen and a student to boot. OH and I have plowed every penny we have into our house and went without in the process. I know not everyone is in the fortunate position to own their own home but I'm not going to apologise for owning mine.
If you had read the rest of the thread there are some almost inspirational stories of people coming with nothing and making it work. Some people are happy coming with a rucksack and a pair of knickers but I personally would not feel comfortable relocating to the other side of the world with 3 kids under seven without a sizeable sum to see me through. But that's just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree. Wouldn't life be extremely dull if we were all the same.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How much equity?

We are hopefully coming out with close to £70,000 which means we will be leaving Northern Ireland completely debt free!
Coming to Oz are me, hubby, 4 kids 9,7,5,3
Have no expectations, thus none can be dashed, but lots of hope!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yolandacharm
We are hopefully coming out with close to £70,000 which means we will be leaving Northern Ireland completely debt free!
Coming to Oz are me, hubby, 4 kids 9,7,5,3
Have no expectations, thus none can be dashed, but lots of hope!
Hi Yolandacharm

Nice to speak to someone from N Ireland. I was born and bred in Ballymena. My dads side of the family still live in Ballymena and my mums side of the family live in Ballymoney - not far from you. It is nice to know that if and when you come you will be coming with no loans, overdraft or credit cards.
Where in OZ are you heading?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 6:57 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

fluffy

don't sweat it mate, succeeding here with your new life has much more to do with attitude than money.
we came here with next to nothing, we had no house to sell and had experienced some really tough times which had taken us years to get back to square one from. We're doing ok and i wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

One thing which did really bug me recently though was someone who said to my face that "it is ok for me as i came here a few years ago, i've got it made, his $600k won't buy him much" Maybe his $600k won't buy him what he wants and what will make him happy, but i really took offence to the comment when you consider he knows nothing about me or my circumstances.

Rant over

Lynn
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Yolandacharm

Nice to speak to someone from N Ireland. I was born and bred in Ballymena. My dads side of the family still live in Ballymena and my mums side of the family live in Ballymoney - not far from you. It is nice to know that if and when you come you will be coming with no loans, overdraft or credit cards.
Where in OZ are you heading?
Hi! we currently live in Castleroe, be sad to leave coz i have made some amazing friends in the church, but can't wait to go either! We are hopefully going to Brisbane area, although where don't know yet, friends of a friends are North Brisbane so hoping to hook up with them at some point, would be really cool to hook up with others too!
Provisional plans suggest leaving mid Jan next year assuming we have our visa before Christmas. Starting to pack already!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:59 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

We left UK with 130thousand! when we first applied for Perth 2 years back we thought we would be morgage free. Obviously things changed...and now we are here it has had a reverse effect on us.

We bought an average home 4x2 at $420, paid half cash and borrowed $220.
My monthly morgage is $1990.99 for 30 years :scared: and going up with the interest rates. Added onto that the poor wages...= no life-style.

Back in UK we had a 4 bed 3 bath home..Morgage 500 pounds a month for 12 years.

We have gone backwards which is very distressing at our age hence why i don't like being here and prefer my life-style in UK. But if we go back now we will still have a large morgage probably so we are in a no win situation.

What do u do???
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
We left UK with 130thousand! when we first applied for Perth 2 years back we thought we would be morgage free. Obviously things changed...and now we are here it has had a reverse effect on us.

My monthly morgage is $1990.99 for 30 years :scared: and going up with the interest rates. Added onto that the poor wages...= no life-style.

We have gone backwards which is very distressing at our age hence why i don't like being here and prefer my life-style in UK. But if we go back now we will still have a large morgage probably so we are in a no win situation.

What do u do???

You do what you have to do to be happy. I'd rather be skint and happy, than rich doing and miserable I know cash helps, but at the end of the day honey you can't take it with you
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

What do u do???

would it help to downsize? We have four bed here with 3 loos but will be happy with 3 bed because the kids will be outside more, but hey everyone is different!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yolandacharm
would it help to downsize? We have four bed here with 3 loos but will be happy with 3 bed because the kids will be outside more, but hey everyone is different!
Our house here is smaller than the one we had in UK anyway. There are five of us and the bedrooms are tiny here, but we have an activity room and living areas are bigger in general.
We bought an average house, anything less looked like a caravan to us. We did afterall come for a better life.
We are not unhappy..just unhappy about having a morgage for 30 bloody years.
We swallowed too much hype."our mistake"..but we have made some great friends which helps.

Thinking of building a pool but been told today that it won't put money on the house or even help sell it if need be
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:22 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Our house here is smaller than the one we had in UK anyway. There are five of us and the bedrooms are tiny here, but we have an activity room and living areas are bigger in general.
We bought an average house, anything less looked like a caravan to us. We did afterall come for a better life.
We are not unhappy..just unhappy about having a morgage for 30 bloody years.
We swallowed too much hype."our mistake"..but we have made some great friends which helps.

Thinking of building a pool but been told today that it won't put money on the house or even help sell it if need be
why should it matter if it raises the value or makes it more sellable, surely the decision to install a pool should be based on whether you think it will enhance your lifestyle or not.

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.