Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much equity?

How much equity?

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all
Default How much equity?

I'm just curious to find out how much equity people will be able to take with them. We sometimes feel we will be disadvantaged coming from Scotland as house prices just aren't as high as they are in many places in England(excluding Glasgow and Edinburgh). We are hoping to move to OZ with about £120k. With a good exchange rate (2.5) we will have approx $300000. We know we won't be mortgage free but we aren't mortgage free here either!. How many people are in the enviable position of moving to OZ knowing they will have little or no mortgage? How many people are moving with no savings and are just hoping for the best! :scared:
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much equity?

Originally Posted by h1tvd
I'm just curious to find out how much equity people will be able to take with them. We sometimes feel we will be disadvantaged coming from Scotland as house prices just aren't as high as they are in many places in England(excluding Glasgow and Edinburgh). We are hoping to move to OZ with about £120k. With a good exchange rate (2.5) we will have approx $300000. We know we won't be mortgage free but we aren't mortgage free here either!. How many people are in the enviable position of moving to OZ knowing they will have little or no mortgage? How many people are moving with no savings and are just hoping for the best! :scared:

Hi,

When we first looked at emigrating, the difference in house prices was such that we thought we could move and have a small mortgage here (this was 4 years ago). However the house prices here have gone up so much in the last couple of years we have actually got a bigger mortgage than the UK and pay a higher interest rate for it!!

(Definitely worth it though )

Julia
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:40 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light

Yes we also will have about 100k to take and debt free!!! Can't wait
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie hilton
Yes we also will have about 100k to take and debt free!!! Can't wait
Its a good feeling to know that even for a short while you dont owe anybody anything.

Julia
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:43 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
Its a good feeling to know that even for a short while you dont owe anybody anything.

Julia

Yes its Bl***dy great. Freed at last!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

We are hoping to take a minimum of £125K, so we'll obviously have to have a mortgage on 'the other side', but we'll have no loans or credit cards outstanding, will have a nice chunk to put down on a house and will start afresh.

Our aim is never to get into debt again ( except for the mortgage, of course ).

I'm sure you'll be fine.

I know someone who went with £6K and they now have a lovely house with pool, a nice new car and a good lifestyle.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

we'll take about £45K if were lucky once we've paid off debts etc. I'm kinda worried about not having enough (were moving to Perth) but that's a problem I'll deal with when I come to it. We may get good jobs and the wife may try and open her own kindergarten so who knows?

Dave
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:00 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveh777
we'll take about £45K if were lucky once we've paid off debts etc. I'm kinda worried about not having enough (were moving to Perth) but that's a problem I'll deal with when I come to it. We may get good jobs and the wife may try and open her own kindergarten so who knows?

Dave
At least your going over with something.From what i've read in here there are plenty of people who are going with next to bugger all....but atl east the're going with no debt.
Just hope they dont end up in the same boat in aussie
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:22 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
At least your going over with something.From what i've read in here there are plenty of people who are going with next to bugger all....but atl east the're going with no debt.
Just hope they dont end up in the same boat in aussie
Me, hubby and daughter came out here with no more than £1000, and that bought us a car so atleast we could get around. We had somewhere to stay rent free when we got here s that helped us a bit but it was still bloody hard. Now, 14 months on we own our own 4 bed house on a 900 block of land and the car we bought for $1200 is still running us around!
You can come out here skint and make it happen, we're living proof of that. It doesn't really matter how much money you've got as long as you've got the strength to survive.

Marie
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Blimey, we'll have about £160K after we've paid off eveyone. Me n the mrs been arguing, sorry, discussing, whether or not this will be enough!!!!!

Told her it would but she still won't feel comfortable about buying a house til a job is sorted. If it were up to me I'd buy straight away but I suppose it won't hurt to wait and check out areas and schools first.

Good luck everyone.

Being 'packed' as I type (Excess...BRILLIANT)

Andy
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:56 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Me, hubby and daughter came out here with no more than £1000, and that bought us a car so atleast we could get around. We had somewhere to stay rent free when we got here s that helped us a bit but it was still bloody hard. Now, 14 months on we own our own 4 bed house on a 900 block of land and the car we bought for $1200 is still running us around!
You can come out here skint and make it happen, we're living proof of that. It doesn't really matter how much money you've got as long as you've got the strength to survive.

Marie
Great little post !!!!

we will not be taking a fortune over with us but one thing we will be taking will be the strength to succeed, we know it is not going to be easy and we will have to work at it.

Great stuff that you did what you did, fair play and respect is due.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

majortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nice

Originally Posted by elmtree
We are hoping to take a minimum of £125K, so we'll obviously have to have a mortgage on 'the other side', but we'll have no loans or credit cards outstanding, will have a nice chunk to put down on a house and will start afresh.

Our aim is never to get into debt again ( except for the mortgage, of course ).

I'm sure you'll be fine.

I know someone who went with £6K and they now have a lovely house with pool, a nice new car and a good lifestyle.

Were going ith the same feeling of being debt free for the first time in our Married life, and like you we only ant the debt of a mortgage over our heads.

we will tie in the furniture and car on the one mortgage loan........going with about £100k, but Adelaide seems to have cheaper real estate than other states
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought £3.75 million with us from the UK.

It enabled us to buy a vegetable patch on the outskirts of Armadale in SE Perth.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

somewhere between £500K - £600K and really looking forward to playing with that in $$'s down in Adelaide.

Graham
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by h1tvd
hi there
we will be going with about 90/100 k but might keep in a high interest account and rent for a couple of years first. Does any one save money now for oz? we are a year away from going and we got about £4000 saved this is for the flight and to have our things taken over. and we hope to have more by the time we go. but we had a letter from the tax creddit and it said we owe them £2000 because they over paid us 4 YEARS ago 4 YEARS ago . what a pain .yes they did over pay us but after a year in the bank i thought o well ill spend it. and we did tell them when we got the money that they have put £2000 in our bank and they said they will take it back in 6 weeks.
but never did . so half our money gone bummer
all the best
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.