Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much does it cost to move and do I move to au (WARNING - SPIDER CONTENT)

how much does it cost to move and do I move to au (WARNING - SPIDER CONTENT)

Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:13 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much does it cost to move and do I move to au

Originally Posted by saff
webs I can cope with ha!

do we not get as many huntsmen in perth? don't hear nearly as much about them!!

Not too keen to go to brissy now! seems to be absolutely tonnes of them there
I live in Brisbane and in nearly 4 years I've only seen one huntsman and that was in someone else's house, never seen one in mine so I wouldn't say they're everywhere!

Agree that the magpies are a bigger problem! (thankfully only for a couple of months a year).
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
I live in Brisbane and in nearly 4 years I've only seen one huntsman and that was in someone else's house, never seen one in mine so I wouldn't say they're everywhere!

Agree that the magpies are a bigger problem! (thankfully only for a couple of months a year).

Thanks for that!! Was getting a bit stressed then. My missus wouldn't cope with them every day!!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:30 am
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scubaemma

I was getting worried there for a min. Thought I was gonna have to get some treatment to get over my fears
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Thanks for that!! Was getting a bit stressed then. My missus wouldn't cope with them every day!!
Originally Posted by Emma_Par
I was getting worried there for a min. Thought I was gonna have to get some treatment to get over my fears

They are few and far between and you'll only see them very occassionally unless you visit Brissybee's house.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alfresco
They are few and far between and you'll only see them very occassionally unless you visit Brissybee's house.

Haha!!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much does it cost to move and do I move to au (WARNING - SPIDER CONTENT)

Originally Posted by mrsbrennan
We have been quoted £995 for 175 cubic feet from Doree Bonner International. They're the cheapest yet and so helpful. We're not taking furniture as we didn't pay alot for it and are renting our UK property out for the first 2 years. We are taking 2 cats and it's costing us £2500 for everything. Flights quoted as £1200. I get $5000 from my employer the day I start for relocation costs. We have a subsidised apartment for 3 weeks. We then plan to get a short term rental fully furnished for 2 months.
We will then look for an unfurnished property and use http://www.fantasticfurniture.com.au/home to furnish it.

Yes. Back on topic please everyone.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:46 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much does it cost to move and do I move to au (WARNING - SPIDER CONTENT)

We have been quoted £995 for 175 cubic feet from Doree Bonner International. They're the cheapest yet and so helpful. We're not taking furniture as we didn't pay alot for it and are renting our UK property out for the first 2 years. We are taking 2 cats and it's costing us £2500 for everything. Flights quoted as £1200. I get $5000 from my employer the day I start for relocation costs. We have a subsidised apartment for 3 weeks. We then plan to get a short term rental fully furnished for 2 months.
We will then look for an unfurnished property and use http://www.fantasticfurniture.com.au/home to furnish it.
Hi, we're are thinking of doing something similar, not bothering with furniture for the same reasons, did they come and have alook at what you have and quote it? (how did you come up with 175c/ft?)

We weren't going to bring anything but we are considering a part container for a tempur mattress and tools etc
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:47 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
They may be everywhere where you are - but they are not everywhere here.

I've lived in Sydney for over 30 years and I wouldn't see one huntsman a year.
I can count the number of red backs I've seen in 30 years on one hand.
I've never seen a funnel web (neither has anyone I've met) and I've never seen a white tail.

Maybe you have a problem with them, where you live - but they are definitely not everywhere.

I am telling the truth.
Blimey....I have seen them all!! Been here 3 years, and most of our sightings were on the Northern Beaches near the National park. Stands to reason I suppose!!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good idea, we were offered something similar....we chose to bring our furniture as we couldn't be arsed to try and sell it all before we came. Left all our white goods in the old home for rental and bought new white goods from 2nds World in Sydney and extra furniture from Fantastic Furniture as well. Sorted! Company put us up in city centre serviced apartment for a month and then helped with all relocation, viewings and expenses whilst here!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

With regards to furniture it says wooden items must be treated! Is that dining table and bed frames etc? Treated how aswell, For wood worm?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:47 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Hardy har. We've had another one today already. I think it's presently inside my stepsons shorts. I think I will iron it to heaven.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:13 am
Social Grenade Thrower

With regards to furniture it says wooden items must be treated! Is that dining table and bed frames etc? Treated how aswell, For wood worm?
As in you can't bring over basic home made untreated furniture. Pretty much all indoor wooden furniture you buy from a store is treated but some outdoor is not, anything that has been varnished or stained is usually ok, but, if in doubt......spray the bugger!!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddyo
As in you can't bring over basic home made untreated furniture. Pretty much all indoor wooden furniture you buy from a store is treated but some outdoor is not, anything that has been varnished or stained is usually ok, but, if in doubt......spray the bugger!!
We have some expensive wooden kids beds but they are painted, and the dining table is stained/varnished..
Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:29 am
Social Grenade Thrower

We have some expensive wooden kids beds but they are painted, and the dining table is stained/varnished..
Yeah, they will be fine.
Australia is very concerned about old wooden furniture and antiques but more so from Asia than Europe.....I mean go figure, antique European furniture has lasted a few score or hundred years already so any wood lice would have to be bloody good to ruin that stuff!
Ensure all wood is varnished/painted and any outdoor items are thoroughly cleaned and all traces of dirt removed. Don't panic, just use common sense and all will be OK...oh, hold on, I'm talking about Australian bureaucracy here aren't I...PANIC!!!