Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much does it cost to move and do I move to au (WARNING - SPIDER CONTENT)

how much does it cost to move and do I move to au (WARNING - SPIDER CONTENT)

Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

TashnMarc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how much does it cost to move and do I move to au (WARNING - SPIDER CONTENT)

How much would we need to save realistically to move to australlia, we have no house to sell so have no equity and would need to save from scratch. We have a dog and I know that would be about 3000 an I right? Are containers for all household items worth getting? Or is it best to get new?
My partner has been told he can get work to sponser him, we are a young family with a 2 year old and another on the way, and this is something we both really want to do so as much advise as possible and I would really be grateful.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

rich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nice
Default Re: how much does it cost to move and do I move to au

Hey,

£3000 for the dog is right from UK to Australia, but then there is boarding in quarantine once you arrive. That is $30 a nite roughly....think it is now longer than the 30days when we brought our dog.

The container was around £3500 for half a container, we found quotes r about the same give or take a few £100 but for a whole container it varied a lot more so worth getting lots of quotes, visit their websites and u can normally get a free quote... Crown, Pickfords, Anglo Pacific etc.

As for cost when arriving we arrived with about $5000 but had a job on arrival so was relying on the pay at the end of the first month to buy things etc.

In total I think it cost us £8500 for container, dog, flights then the $5000 which we had transferred from the UK. Everyone has their story on here about how much it costs, which from person to person can vary a lot!

Good luck! Where in Australia are you thinking of moving?
Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:01 am
Just Joined

TashnMarc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks that's really helped a lot, we would be moving to the gold coast if we came,do you know what it is like there? And if its as nice as I keep hearing? for me its leavin family behind which has stopped me so far. When you say half a container how much did you actuaLly get in there?
Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is relatively expensive. I would not recommend getting new stuff here on the magnitude of a 20ft or 40ft container. It would be cheaper to ship.

How much stuff do you have?
Old Jan 8th 2012, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

rich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nicerich.mason is just really nice

Originally Posted by TashnMarc
Thanks that's really helped a lot, we would be moving to the gold coast if we came,do you know what it is like there? And if its as nice as I keep hearing? for me its leavin family behind which has stopped me so far. When you say half a container how much did you actuaLly get in there?
As Alfresco said it isn't that cheap to replace everything here, we shipped our stuff for that reason which we finally got on the 30th Dec 2011! It was half a 20ft container that we got through Crown.

I have just moved to the Gold Coast in October and I am loving it so far, plenty to do with the family, there are lots of different areas and we found that they call vary in things to do etc, we wanted a quiet suburb and have ended up in Pacific Pines, close enough to get to the beaches but can avoid the madness of Surfers Paradise etc!

Don't know if you have already but setting a budget for ur rental and looking at areas u could afford was how we started out WWW.realestate.com.au gave a good idea.

cheers
Richard
Old Jan 8th 2012, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

All in we got here for 12000 pound. We are in Ormeau. And find it a good halfway house for City, access to Sunshine coast and Gold coast South of Us. Things they don`t always tell you which in reality should be obvious. Rain like you would not believe usually in summertime(wet season). Feeling very cold in 20oC in Winter, sun down at 4:30 winter and about 7:30pm Summer, There are many types of ant which will live in and around your home and allthough you fight to keep them out, they are good as they do not like termites which have no interest in your sugar bowl but like to eat your roof.It is very expensive to live here, skilled migrants should be able to get a well paid job. we have a mortgage 4 x greater here than we had in the Uk in relation to pay. but we have never been so well off. And my money is not fantastic. The place is not riddled with spiders and snakes either. you are lucky or unlucky to see a snake, I actively look for them as they fascinate me. The Redback spider is not deadly and I don`t kill them in the garden(I throw them over next doors fence,LOL). I love it here and I think sometimes the wife and children do. Just research all you can, Much of it on here will help. It does not suit everyone but only you will know. I do miss a British pint of beer in a British pub with some old friends but thats about it.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Ha! My missus is terrified of spiders. She seems to think they will be everywhere! I tried to tell her it won't be that bad!!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Ha! My missus is terrified of spiders. She seems to think they will be everywhere! I tried to tell her it won't be that bad!!

They won't be everywhere at all.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

My wife does not like spiders but absolutely dreads the cockroaches. Cleaned and sprayed keeps them to a minimum. But the BIG ones that venture in I presume to set up home, theres a shriek and shout for me to sort them. The good old Ozzy thong comes to the rescue. but there are many quite beautiful insects,butterflies,praying mantis and spiders(Orb web,St Andrews cross).
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alfresco
They won't be everywhere at all.
To be honest this is her biggest gripe about moving! She's really really not keen on spiders. I don't mind them and I certainly don't squash them with a shoe like she will if I don't get there first. Any ideas of any sites that I can reassure her with? Also that the massive ones aren't common either!!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest this is her biggest gripe about moving! She's really really not keen on spiders. I don't mind them and I certainly don't squash them with a shoe like she will if I don't get there first. Any ideas of any sites that I can reassure her with? Also that the massive ones aren't common either!!
The massive ones are common, just not commonly in the house in my experience. We have had a couple in the car though which you should probably not mention to your wife!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
The massive ones are common, just not commonly in the house in my experience. We have had a couple in the car though which you should probably not mention to your wife!
Or me!! Can't run away in the car.. That must be interesting when one pops out on the freeway!!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:54 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Car ones freak me out. I almost crashed once when a huntsman appeared on the dashboard and jumped onto my leg. For a couple of weeks I vacuumed the car everyday until I forgot the trauma!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Car ones freak me out. I almost crashed once when a huntsman appeared on the dashboard and jumped onto my leg. For a couple of weeks I vacuumed the car everyday until I forgot the trauma!

Ah crap.. Don't say things like that.. Aren't huntsman's dangerous?
Old Jan 8th 2012, 7:31 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I've posted this before but.. not long after we moved to Qld, I had to take Middlechild and his two friends up to Buderim for a football match. Just as we were getting in the car, one of his friends said - Oh, look, a huntsman on the back of your seat.

I leapt out the car and it took a good half an hour and an entire can of insect spray before I could be convinced to get back in.

Friend#1 kept trying to reassure me that it was okay, huntsmen weren't dangerous.. he didn't seem to understand that they would be extremely fatal if one leapt out at me on the Bruce Hwy. Alllllll the way there, I was sure I could feel it running up my leg.

Ah crap.. Don't say things like that.. Aren't huntsman's dangerous?

Only if they leap out at you on the Bruce Hwy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.