Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much cash can I bring to Australia

How much cash can I bring to Australia

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much cash can I bring to Australia

I have met a couple of people who have put cash in their checked on bags, only to get their bags at the other end minus the cash. I also know lots of people who have had just certain things missing when they get their bags back. I don't know one person who has been robbed on the way to/from or while at the airport or in the plane.

I have flown enough times, long and short hall to know you can take care of your stuff it you are allert.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:27 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I have met a couple of people who have put cash in their checked on bags, only to get their bags at the other end minus the cash. I also know lots of people who have had just certain things missing when they get their bags back. I don't know one person who has been robbed on the way to/from or while at the airport or in the plane.

I have flown enough times, long and short hall to know you can take care of your stuff it you are allert.
Well, I can't comment on the lots of people that you apparently know that seem to have had attracted such bad luck. All I know is that I'd NEVER keep large amounts of cash in one place - even if it is on your person.

My wife and I spent 18 months backpacking around the world and regularly kept money both in money belts (around the waste and around the neck) as well as in each of our backpacks (4 in total between the two of us). In all that time, with over a dozen flights and countless other forms of transportation, we never once had anything taken or lost any money (cash, TCs or credit cards).

I guess the moral of that story must be that if you attract bad luck, then by all means don't risk putting money in your luggage - just risk it all getting stolen in one go instead.

- CDM
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:36 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
You've obviously never had to carry large amounts of cash around with you. I'm speaking from experience here.
On the contrary, big boy: I've had to carry thousands of dollars/pounds on numerous occasions (working in developing country back when ATMs weren't universal, and then my own trips in ugly places). Not sure why you're being so snotty. It's always a pain and a worry.

When you're talking about your money belt possibly getting mixed up with the possessions of other people on the flight - then you're obviously not understanding the point of a money belt. You don't take it off between the time you dress before the flight to the time you arrive at your destination! The whole point is that it's physically attached to your person, inside your clothes the whole time. You know a money belt is not the same as a bumbag, right? Money belts don't set off metal detectors/walk though gates; there's no reason to fiddle with them, give them to anyone, get them mixed up with anything. Attach it to yourself securely: don't just use the crappy velcro, use safety pins as well.

It's theoretically possible that a ninja sneak up on you and reach into the inside of your trousers and remove a wad of cash from your groin - but how likely is this compared to baggage being lost (which happens all the time - especially on connecting flights which, by the way, all UK to Oz flights are, obviously)?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

happymoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
On the contrary, big boy: I've had to carry thousands of dollars/pounds on numerous occasions (working in developing country back when ATMs weren't universal, and then my own trips in ugly places). Not sure why you're being so snotty. It's always a pain and a worry.

When you're talking about your money belt possibly getting mixed up with the possessions of other people on the flight - then you're obviously not understanding the point of a money belt. You don't take it off between the time you dress before the flight to the time you arrive at your destination! The whole point is that it's physically attached to your person, inside your clothes the whole time. You know a money belt is not the same as a bumbag, right? Money belts don't set off metal detectors/walk though gates; there's no reason to fiddle with them, give them to anyone, get them mixed up with anything. Attach it to yourself securely: don't just use the crappy velcro, use safety pins as well.

It's theoretically possible that a ninja sneak up on you and reach into the inside of your trousers and remove a wad of cash from your groin - but how likely is this compared to baggage being lost (which happens all the time - especially on connecting flights which, by the way, all UK to Oz flights are, obviously)?
Just take $2000 dollars in cash and buy 6 one ounce gold coins, saves lugging around all that paper