Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much approx is a cab Gatwick > Sutton (Surrey) these days? (I'm in Oz)

How much approx is a cab Gatwick > Sutton (Surrey) these days? (I'm in Oz)

Old Dec 5th 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default How much approx is a cab Gatwick > Sutton (Surrey) these days? (I'm in Oz)

Hi Guys

I am preparing for my trip back to the UK for Chrissie. I have no idea the cost of things, cabs included.

Can anyone tell me roughly how much a cab / taxi would cost from Gatwick to Sutton (Surrey)?

I have checked on route planner and it is 17 miles + 41 mins, I dont wana get ripped off (like a tourist!!!).

Are there certain cabs to target that are better than others?

Thanks

J
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much approx is a cab Gatwick > Sutton (Surrey) these days? (I'm in Oz)

we took a taxi from Gatwick to Worcester Park (2 miles from Sutton) in Sept and it was £35.

We did pre book and used a local mini cab firm rather than an airport taxi.
They are much cheaper and you can get an agreed price in advance.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much approx is a cab Gatwick > Sutton (Surrey) these days? (I'm in Oz)

Originally Posted by Pomster
we took a taxi from Gatwick to Worcester Park (2 miles from Sutton) in Sept and it was £35.

We did pre book and used a local mini cab firm rather than an airport taxi.
They are much cheaper and you can get an agreed price in advance.
Definitely pre-book. makes a huge difference
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:11 am
mcv
Forum Regular

mcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nice

Hi all,

Nic e to see some others from sw London area.we are from Carshalton.moved over here to Melbourne just over 3 yrs ago.

Cheers Richard
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:29 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh it's lovely to see some locals I was born in Carshalton, brought up in Sutton and lived eventually in Wallington. I have no idea about cab fares but I definitely agree that you should avoid using airport taxis - prebook with a local firm and agree a price. My family used to use Melville Cars in Sutton a fair bit and they were always reliable and reasonably priced but that's going back a few years and I have no idea if that would still be true.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sutton...gosh..worked there for 25 years! I met another expat and we discovered we used to work in opposite buildings years ago, small world.

You can book online through www.thetaxinumber.co.uk it's a local cab company in Horley and we've used them when we used to live in there and when we've needed a cab from Gatwick to MIL who lives in Banstead. It says on the website it should be 27.50 pounds for a saloon car but if you need a bigger vehicle you can just select another type and it gives you an online quote. Sorted...!!

The cabs at the airport are expensive. They used to hate taking us the five minutes from the airport to our house!

Enjoy your Chrissie back in Blighty!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your comments.

I have looked up www.thetaxinumber.co.uk and they are still going, price 27.50 pounds, so I'll give them a call tonight to see how the process works. Thanks

I was going to start a new thread but may as well ask you guys in the UK 1st, what would be the cheapest pre-paid 10 pound sim card I could easily buy over-the-counter to put in my phone for my visit, any recommendations?

Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
I was going to start a new thread but may as well ask you guys in the UK 1st, what would be the cheapest pre-paid 10 pound sim card I could easily buy over-the-counter to put in my phone for my visit, any recommendations?

I have got GiffGaff for wife and son when they go back, based on http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/free-sim-cards

I used this https://sites.google.com/site/giffgaffsimsandmicrosims/ to get the SIMs shipped to Aus. Two days before they set off I will validate the SIMs online. When they land, they should be working (that's the theory).

I'll put them on the £12 goodybagy http://giffgaff.com/index/offer.

I'll set-up some Voip service on their phones so that they can ring Aus using voip over mobile data, and Aus people can ring them, both at local Aus call rates. It may not work. If it doesn't, I have a UK voip account and will use that to ring their UK mobiles el cheapo.