Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long for UK to Aus mail?

How long for UK to Aus mail?

Old Dec 8th 2017, 6:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long for UK to Aus mail?

First card arrived from UK: 10 days. A lot better!
Old Dec 8th 2017, 11:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
First card arrived from UK: 10 days. A lot better!
Yep, I've got one that took only 8 days.

However I posted an item to Sydney (from Brisbane) on November 11th......... it arrived today .
Old Dec 9th 2017, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

My sister has sent us a parcel, posted Monday. I have just checked the tracking and it's coming via Ascension Island!!! Have I missed something?
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
My sister has sent us a parcel, posted Monday. I have just checked the tracking and it's coming via Ascension Island!!! Have I missed something?
I received a parcel from China via Ascension Island just this week , sure beats the Maldives for out of the way Postal Service.

Since Aust.Post opened Sunshine West to " handle mail efficiently " our delivery times have stretched by 9 days + , hate to think if they did it inefficiently what would happen.
Mail arriving at Welshpool .WA is delivered on average within two days from overseas.
Just saying....
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 11:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ozzie, how successful are investigations into theft at sorting offices? I guess it depends on a number of questions, but if theft is discovered, how quick would they reimburse the customer especially if it's a number of items?
Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Hey Ozzie, how successful are investigations into theft at sorting offices? I guess it depends on a number of questions, but if theft is discovered, how quick would they reimburse the customer especially if it's a number of items?

It's a subject that barely gets talked about unless someone is caught stealing. I've only ever known one person get caught stealing in my 21 years at Post and he was a dead set Kleptomaniac and ignored the cameras.

It would be very difficult to steal in a sorting office as there are cameras everywhere and you never know which one active or not. They tell us they only use them if there are issues. We do see the federal police and our security come through about twice a year and that generally tells us something is going on. Last saw the security people in our main office about 4 months ago and apparently that was to do with a stolen depot box..... one of those boxes where the postie stores his mail, which is concreted into the footpath around here. They decommission a depot box if they ever get broken into just the once.

None of this answers your question of course. I'll ask around tonight and see if my manager has any answers to your questions. Thing is it's about 95pct more likely to be tampered with outside the office somewhere rather than in it. Basically, that's because of the crowded environment and cameras and change of usual movements, which would draw attention upon any individual trying something like that. The compensation question is one I don't know either, So I'll start of the chat with my manager on that footing.

It would be very difficult for sorters to steal anything, as if you tried it once or twice, on would go the cameras at that point, unless they are already on, which is an unknown quantity. If someone like myself got caught stealing after 21 years on the job it would cost in the region of 350,000 dollars, plus potential/probable redundancy package if caught in lost benefits. Plus you would come basically unemployable. So you would want to be absolutely sure of the contents and totally sure you wouldn't or couldn't ever get caught. That's assuming you were that way inclined in the first place. Therefore that should rule out anyone that has been on the job for more than say 5 years.... the vast majority in other words.

I'm not saying it doesn't or never happens, just that it's far less of a problem than people think, in Australia at least.

I'll ask about the compensation tonight.

One other factor when Apost does its security checks on potential employees, theft is a bigger no-no than manslaughter. That's a verified fact.

Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's a subject that barely gets talked about unless someone is caught stealing. I've only ever known one person get caught stealing in my 21 years at Post and he was a dead set Kleptomaniac and ignored the cameras.

It would be very difficult to steal in a sorting office as there are cameras everywhere and you never know which one active or not. They tell us they only use them if there are issues. We do see the federal police and our security come through about twice a year and that generally tells us something is going on. Last saw the security people in our main office about 4 months ago and apparently that was to do with a stolen depot box..... one of those boxes where the postie stores his mail, which is concreted into the footpath around here. They decommission a depot box if they ever get broken into just the once.

None of this answers your question of course. I'll ask around tonight and see if my manager has any answers to your questions. Thing is it's about 95pct more likely to be tampered with outside the office somewhere rather than in it. Basically, that's because of the crowded environment and cameras and change of usual movements, which would draw attention upon any individual trying something like that. The compensation question is one I don't know either, So I'll start of the chat with my manager on that footing.

It would be very difficult for sorters to steal anything, as if you tried it once or twice, on would go the cameras at that point, unless they are already on, which is an unknown quantity. If someone like myself got caught stealing after 21 years on the job it would cost in the region of 350,000 dollars, plus potential/probable redundancy package if caught in lost benefits. Plus you would come basically unemployable. So you would want to be absolutely sure of the contents and totally sure you wouldn't or couldn't ever get caught. That's assuming you were that way inclined in the first place. Therefore that should rule out anyone that has been on the job for more than say 5 years.... the vast majority in other words.

I'm not saying it doesn't or never happens, just that it's far less of a problem than people think, in Australia at least.

I'll ask about the compensation tonight.

One other factor when Apost does its security checks on potential employees, theft is a bigger no-no than manslaughter. That's a verified fact.

It's one sorting office and all tracking advice stops at that sorting office. Several parcels of tech/electronic stuff has got there and not come out again. I think an investigation was started when the first package went missing and nothing has yet come to light. A reason given is 'It's too big a place to check everywhere' type of comment.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's one sorting office and all tracking advice stops at that sorting office. Several parcels of tech/electronic stuff has got there and not come out again. I think an investigation was started when the first package went missing and nothing has yet come to light. A reason given is 'It's too big a place to check everywhere' type of comment.
They'll be onto it with the cameras for sure. That whole place will be covered.

Is it a Delivery center or the main Brisbane Parcel Centre?

I'm guessing the main Brisbane Parcel Centre, as they employ casuals for 3 months prior at Xmas time. Those casuals are generally speaking relatives of postal employees as well, so it's not going to end nicely for someone.

If it's the DC someone is probably having some kind of crisis like Gambling... (Our bloke was addicted to Strippers and paid out 100's a week to them, that was Tech Stuff too come to think of it, we nicknamed him Sony Dealer of the year)

They'll have narrowed it down to a very few people already

You'd be surprised what PO secuirty do, going through your rubbish bins without your knowledge etc etc, staking out your house etc etc.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 4th 2018 at 2:18 am.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 3:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

They'll be onto it with the cameras for sure. That whole place will be covered.

Is it a Delivery center or the main Brisbane Parcel Centre?

I'm guessing the main Brisbane Parcel Centre, as they employ casuals for 3 months prior at Xmas time. Those casuals are generally speaking relatives of postal employees as well, so it's not going to end nicely for someone.

If it's the DC someone is probably having some kind of crisis like Gambling... (Our bloke was addicted to Strippers and paid out 100's a week to them, that was Tech Stuff too come to think of it, we nicknamed him Sony Dealer of the year)

They'll have narrowed it down to a very few people already

You'd be surprised what PO secuirty do, going through your rubbish bins without your knowledge etc etc, staking out your house etc etc.
It's one down in Victoria just outside Melbourne. Not my parcels, a friend who used to be on here. A lot.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's one down in Victoria just outside Melbourne. Not my parcels, a friend who used to be on here. A lot.
It should be Ardeer ? Aka Sunshine West, that's well covered with security.

So almost certainly one of the casuals they employ pre xmas time, The will find out who it is and they will be covered fully with comp.

I'd be buying some more product rather than wait and get the compo in due course.... assuming they can afford to do that. Then it's behind you. That's just my personal way of doing things though.

Wait and I'll ask at work tonight re the compensation time. That is definitely theft by the sounds of things rather than lost or wrongly delivered product. Got to admit it's going to be more difficult than usual to identify a pre xmas casual. If indeed it is one of those. Cant imagine a regular doing it. Like I said your likely to lose 100,000's in benefits.

Our 56 years service bloke retired just before Xmas..... 850K he walked out with.

I actually worked with the person that will be investigating this, he was a team leader back when I started. A good workmate of mine. He won't talk about it though, head of security in Victoria now.

I would sum this episode up as naively brazen.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 4th 2018 at 3:51 am.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 6:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

It should be Ardeer ? Aka Sunshine West, that's well covered with security.

So almost certainly one of the casuals they employ pre xmas time, The will find out who it is and they will be covered fully with comp.

I'd be buying some more product rather than wait and get the compo in due course.... assuming they can afford to do that. Then it's behind you. That's just my personal way of doing things though.

Wait and I'll ask at work tonight re the compensation time. That is definitely theft by the sounds of things rather than lost or wrongly delivered product. Got to admit it's going to be more difficult than usual to identify a pre xmas casual. If indeed it is one of those. Cant imagine a regular doing it. Like I said your likely to lose 100,000's in benefits.

Our 56 years service bloke retired just before Xmas..... 850K he walked out with.

I actually worked with the person that will be investigating this, he was a team leader back when I started. A good workmate of mine. He won't talk about it though, head of security in Victoria now.

I would sum this episode up as naively brazen.
I'll pass that on to her. I think they were all incoming christmas presents rather than them ordering stuff. Sucks regardless.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'll pass that on to her. I think they were all incoming christmas presents rather than them ordering stuff. Sucks regardless.

That makes it odd. Unless the contents were easily recognisable.

That's because no one has time to scrutinise the contents of any package, you get about a 10-second handling of each item at the most. If someone were stealing xmas presents at will there would be dozens missing before anything of real value came through. Like tech goods. Where would they hide them all etc etc. I've a feeling this will turn out to be a subcontract driver personally, they would have a bit more time to check out contents....Someone helping out the usual driver with his xmas overloads. So that will come down to one area of one round. Potentially back home overseas already.

Not scanned in at the Transport Hub, this feels like to me.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Re the compensation timing, 1 month from proven loss.

I checked last night.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

For what ever reason AusPost seems to take ages in delivering incoming international mail that is to private residential.
They normally get the international mail out of the country pretty sharpish but incoming will sit in a sorting box for at least a few weeks before finally being delivered.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Re the compensation timing, 1 month from proven loss.

I checked last night.
Thank you.