British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How long for UK to Aus mail? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-long-uk-aus-mail-902661/)

Pollyana Oct 4th 2017 6:07 am

Re: How long for UK to Aus mail?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12353140)
Yes still with customs for some reason, they seem to be batch releasing at present.

I was going to ask about that -just picked up four letters from different parts of the Uk, sent at varying times from 3weeks ago to 6 weeks ago. All arrived together:confused:
Effing ridiculous.

Two have to be signed and sent straight back, be interesting to see how quick that is!

GarryP Oct 4th 2017 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12353198)
I was going to ask about that -just picked up four letters from different parts of the Uk, sent at varying times from 3weeks ago to 6 weeks ago. All arrived together:confused:
Effing ridiculous.

I wonder if there were any of those consumer TV shows that would be interested in doing a story?

Pollyana Oct 4th 2017 11:46 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12353367)
I wonder if there were any of those consumer TV shows that would be interested in doing a story?

Possibly, but I'm not into that sort of thing, I would hate to be on TV

SarahL13 Oct 5th 2017 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12353140)
Yes still with customs for some reason, they seem to be batch releasing at present.

It has been delivered! Wahoo.

Pollyana Oct 5th 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by SarahL13 (Post 12354227)
It has been delivered! Wahoo.

:thumbup:

ozzieeagle Oct 5th 2017 3:40 pm

Probably a good time to add that if sending vital documents use the Royal Mail service "Parcel Force globalpriority" from the UK. Which equates the same to a courier service..... saves a lot of worries. The Managers of the receiving delivery centres will deliver those personally if necessary.... Guaranteed, I've heard of them going out in their own vehicles before if all the posties are out on the road and the article has turned up after the posties have left the delivery centres.

Use the following from Aus if you want the same level of service.

https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-...tional-courier

scrubbedexpat020 Oct 10th 2017 4:35 am

3 weeks for registered mail - £8.35 to send back passport.

My postie, Dave, reckons it's to do with the two-speed delivery system. Before, they had guys working through the night to sort, now it goes to storage and waits...

ozzieeagle Oct 10th 2017 8:02 am

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 12357525)
3 weeks for registered mail - £8.35 to send back passport.

My postie, Dave, reckons it's to do with the two-speed delivery system. Before, they had guys working through the night to sort, now it goes to storage and waits...

Night sorters only do hand sorted mail, Small parcels, up to 3 kilos now !! IE: non-machineable hard to read or badly post coded items, Items rejected by the machines. Dandenong and Sydney super centres where the main machines are work 24 hours per day.

They are trying to use machinery to get rid of night shift, but it's a slow process. Wish I could get off it, its worth $10,000's as a redundancy package to me. Plus I cant leave without a package in the interim, in case they do bring packages out, which would be a very costly financial mistake on my behalf. So we are all stuck. The only way people leave now is if they get chronically Ill or some other personal catastrophe.

70 out of 253 of us across Melbourne were supposed to go on September 29th, Paperwork filled in, counselling for what to do post redundancy, Final figure payout given to those that wanted voluntary. They reneged two weeks before the due date.... 2nd time it's happened in 18months..

We're not going till January now.... Except Amazon is coming, so we won't be going anywhere. Combine that with attrition and no one is leaving on a package.

Pollyana Oct 30th 2017 8:58 am

Interesting conversation with a Post front office person in Tassie today. Seemed a nice person, mid 30s, chatty and friendly, but.....

Told me I had wasted my time writing FRAGILE 3 times on a package. I agreed, but said I still like to make the effort in the hope that at least the postman will not fold it in 4 when putting it in the recipient's mailbox!
The response was, "waste your time if you like, but personally I only care about an item when its in my hand, after its in the tray, who cares? Not me, it could get eaten by sharks but I've got paid for my bit of the process. It can go to hell now for all i care".

I thought Brisbane was bad but at least they put up a public front of pretending to care

rammygirl Oct 30th 2017 10:29 am

Maybe she was having a bad day!

Or bad employers!

rammygirl Oct 30th 2017 10:33 am

Also helped to make a decision for forwarding sons mail from UK as he is finally coming to Australia. Will be far cheaper and quicker to re direct to his Aunt in UK who will open and scan mail. Especially important for info regarding his rental bond, as he will have a limited time to respond if they decide to deduct anything. And they insist on snail mail!

Saving nearly £200 for a quicker service.................yes please.

aries Oct 30th 2017 10:39 pm

Recently a letter was posted on a Monday from Adelaide, and I received it on the Friday in Devon. However whenever I post to Adelaide or Melbourne, it takes 2 to 3 weeks.

During 1971/72 during a spell in London, letters sent to me by my dad and postparked 4.00am on Monday morning in Adelaide, were recorded received at Australia House within 2 days. On one occasion it was received the day after leaving Adelaide.

It would seem that mail was quicker 45 years ago!

Pollyana Oct 31st 2017 3:46 am

Originally Posted by aries (Post 12371408)
Recently a letter was posted on a Monday from Adelaide, and I received it on the Friday in Devon. However whenever I post to Adelaide or Melbourne, it takes 2 to 3 weeks.

During 1971/72 during a spell in London, letters sent to me by my dad and postparked 4.00am on Monday morning in Adelaide, were recorded received at Australia House within 2 days. On one occasion it was received the day after leaving Adelaide.

It would seem that mail was quicker 45 years ago!

I agree'

Mail to the UK at present is much much quicker than mail coming to Aus, which supports the theories that the issue is with Aus Post. And after my encounter yesterday, I can believe it!

moneypenny20 Nov 9th 2017 6:19 am

Not just Aus Post that are shit apparently. Sent a parcel to daughter in Oxford on 18th Sept. According to tracking it was delivered on the 30th at 15:17. Except it wasn't. About a week later I remembered to ask her if she got it. Bear in mind she lives and works in a restaurant, they wrre open and she was working that afternoon. Not got it. She asked everyone, no one had seen it or taken delivery for it. Today in my mail box is the parcel. Sent back because according to the sticker it was not called for'. So Mr Royal Mail delivery guy didn't bother going in and delivering it. He just left a card who knows where and pissed offf. Not impressed. Suppose I should be grateful it got back here at all.

GarryP Nov 9th 2017 6:26 am

Have to say, I'm having a chuckle at all the MPs who claim they aren't illegitimate because they posted their renunciation forms before the election - but didn't get the reply back before the nominations closed/election.

Maybe they would like to do something about making auspost/customs less shit and slow - before they get kicked out :p

Rebekha Sharkie, a xenophonite, is the latest that didn't get her form back in the mail till well after the election.