Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long for UK to Aus mail?

How long for UK to Aus mail?

Old Sep 8th 2017, 8:04 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long for UK to Aus mail?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've ordered a package on Ebay which was posted yesterday in Darwin, we at work are expecting it should be delivered by Thursday or Friday of next week at the latest, even Wednesday
Here's the thing, metro to metro you should have it today or Saturday at the latest. Bimbling around for a week isn't performance, it isn't good enough, and it sure as hell isn't going to be good enough for Amazon.

according to the propaganda electronic wall at work, Aus Post is now running at 91pct first time on time delivery on parcels. Got to say I don't believe it myself either, but that's what the figures are saying.
Now dig down into what they claim is 'on time' and 'first time', and who they are including. Because I'd bet a lot of money, they are fiddling the metrics. Set an 'on time' metric that's way too long, include deliveries to businesses and dropping cards in postboxes, and even I could manage to fiddle a 91% number.

Has anyone noticed the follow up Email tracking, they really are hell bent on maintaining this Amazon contract. They are spending millions of dollars on these trikes that take 3 times the amount of parcels they currently carry as well.
I hope Amazon have got a tight SLA and lots of fines for failure, because I don't see a hope of auspost delivering an Amazon level of service. And tracking of auspost mail is crap - seriously they are a black hole.

I'll try and get a photo of these figures next week. It flashes by in about 6 secs along with all the other propoganda.... Did you know that the two machines that put into Melbourne and Sydney cost 1 billion dollars.
Yeah, I kind of do think they could waste $1bn on something that should be a few million, tops.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 11:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've ordered a package on Ebay which was posted yesterday in Darwin, we at work are expecting it should be delivered by Thursday or Friday of next week at the latest, even Wednesday, just a regular untracked surface brown packaged Item I'd say.
Originally Posted by GarryP
Here's the thing, metro to metro you should have it today or Saturday at the latest. Bimbling around for a week isn't performance, it isn't good enough, and it sure as hell isn't going to be good enough for Amazon.
This. A week from Darwin to Melbourne is ridiculous imo. What route does the Robin Reliant take?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 12:09 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
This. A week from Darwin to Melbourne is ridiculous imo. What route does the Robin Reliant take?
A week is the time it should take from the other side of the planet.

I might accept extreme rural<>metro taking a week - but not when you can name the cities involved.

And the reality seems to be three weeks ...
Old Sep 10th 2017, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be the same speed as the US (Chicago to San Fran) and Canada (Vancouver to Toronto) over the same distances from my reading.

Express Platinum would be the next day. I think you'll find Amazon will be sent at Express Platinium speeds from my understanding. Aus Post want to hang on to that contract. It's why Amazon have opened close to Aus Post Dandenong. Aus Post has it's own planes now.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 10th 2017 at 7:05 am.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 9:08 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Express Platinum would be the next day. I think you'll find Amazon will be sent at Express Platinium speeds from my understanding. Aus Post want to hang on to that contract. It's why Amazon have opened close to Aus Post Dandenong. Aus Post has it's own planes now.
Would be interesting. They'd need to guarantee next day, and they'd need to be charging a much more reasonable rate than "express platinum". And then what happens when they fail? Are they going to have to reimburse Amazon for lost parcels and late delivery?

You can bet that if they have done a sane deal, other online suppliers are going to want the same for their offerings.

Maybe this will be the kick up the backside that's needed to get auspost to realise what 'acceptable service' looks like, or maybe it will be what finishes them off as it all breaks down.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Would be interesting. They'd need to guarantee next day, and they'd need to be charging a much more reasonable rate than "express platinum". And then what happens when they fail? Are they going to have to reimburse Amazon for lost parcels and late delivery?

You can bet that if they have done a sane deal, other online suppliers are going to want the same for their offerings.

Maybe this will be the kick up the backside that's needed to get auspost to realise what 'acceptable service' looks like, or maybe it will be what finishes them off as it all breaks down.

Like DHL there is a completely different price structure for General Public v Business customers.

In fact I'm fairly certain Aus Post doesn't want General Public business, they are way way back on the back burner.

They make the Posties come back for express parcels, get them out to their depot bins, or wait at present. So I know they can do it. They've taken on heaps more employees at Gateway here in Melbourne (Tullamarine express handling) That's where a lot of the night sorters are being redeployed to.

What Amazon have done is realise that they cannot trust contractors in this country and have gone with Aus Posts main full time workforce as at least there is real accountability with Apost employees. Apost employees dont want to muck around/risk their conditions and pensions.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 10th 2017 at 11:25 am.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 11:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

In fact I'm fairly certain Aus Post doesn't want General Public business, they are way way back on the back burner.
Ain't that the truth!
Old Sep 18th 2017, 6:12 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Germany, Singapore and the UK......three items, all small packets, all sent from their respective countries on August 20th.
All arrived in Brisbane today, September 18th.

When I commented to the Aus Post staff member she said "well they are all from Europe so you would expect them all to arrive together"
Old Sep 18th 2017, 8:19 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Germany, Singapore and the UK......three items, all small packets, all sent from their respective countries on August 20th.

When I commented to the Aus Post staff member she said "well they are all from Europe so you would expect them all to arrive together"
Did she not realise that 1 month for delivery wasn't acceptable?

And yeah, it does smell to me like customs are on a purposeful go slow so as to make the 'GST paid' lane look good. You can almost imagine the pile growing and growing till it's old enough to process.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 9:22 am
Home and Happy

Did she not realise that 1 month for delivery wasn't acceptable?
She appeared to neither get the point, nor to care.

And yeah, it does smell to me like customs are on a purposeful go slow so as to make the 'GST paid' lane look good. You can almost imagine the pile growing and growing till it's old enough to process.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 2:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Small package posted Tokyo on 14/9, delivered Melbourne 19/9. Go figure!
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Originally Posted by ebo1608
delivered Melbourne 19/9.
Which does rather raise the question of if there is a periodicity in the release and delivery of small parcels?

Old Sep 19th 2017, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My Package from Darwin posted on the 7th Sept didn't arrive until Monday this week, I was expecting it around the 13th or 14th. I'd say at a guess they are waiting in Darwin for a full ULD of parcels before dispatching to the sorting centres in either Brisbane/Townsville ? A ULD is a steel foldable shipment container that all mail goes into. Other than that I cannot come up with any answers. So much for not holding onto mail. I know they don't hold mail or parcels in sorting centres, dispatch may well be different.

Looks like a fledgeling rival company is going to give it a go.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/p...ith-dhl-2017-9

Good luck to them, especially in getting delivery drivers Considering we see 1,000's of DHL parcels come through Post.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 19th 2017 at 5:54 am.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

SJB101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ebo1608
We are typically seeing 3 weeks for mail from UK to Aus (Melbourne), and about a week for Aus to UK. Is that what you are noticing, or is it just us?
Takes around a month to get to us in Perth
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Amazon contract confirmed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.