Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long for UK to Aus mail?

How long for UK to Aus mail?

Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long for UK to Aus mail?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There should be a barcode on it, it's how it gets through the machine.

Some of them are really faint, like a very light pink or orange colour. Once that barcode is stamped on it by a machine that's where that letter goes, regardless of the address until it reaches the Postie who handsorts the final part on his round..... Thats going to come bundled within the next 3 years, so there will be even more missorts I reckon. The only chance the Postie will have to see that is as he is putting into the letter box and if it's in the middle of 3 letters no chance.
Yeah, no nothing. They've been as clean as they were when they left the sender's hand. One from Northants, one from Herts. We even all looked at them closely because it just seemed odd.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Yeah, no nothing. They've been as clean as they were when they left the sender's hand. One from Northants, one from Herts. We even all looked at them closely because it just seemed odd.

Maybe there were a lot of those letters for different addresses in Australia and it's come in a barcoded tub, initiated at the sending point to one particular address and once there it's been realised as a missort or multi addresses. Must have been hand sorted once it hit Australia, which would go some way to explaining the delay and the lack of bar codes.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

or be relocated to other positions within post.... Drivers, Posties (walking) or in the Parcels division......
Evolution .... consider those a promotion.

Be thankful you weren't a fax machine. You would have evolved into something weird like email or a scanner.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Evolution .... consider those a promotion.

Be thankful you weren't a fax machine. You would have evolved into something weird like email or a scanner.

Bugger that, I started at Post as a driver, with the end result of an aversion to city driving. Hence my love affair with public transport.

A walking round would be good though.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long for UK to Aus mai

Post Codes take precedence over everything else you put on your envelope. So you could have Bank of Melbourne Head office, Collins St, Melbourne 3000, if that post code gets misread as a 6000 despite the obvious address, it will go to Perth.

We see dozens of these everyday, just a little quirky curl on the first digit of the post code stuffs a lot of deliveries.
Another tale from my sorting days...... some Eastern European countries, I forget which ones, have 4 digit postcodes.
We came across several letters where people had written the four digits in the boxes on the envelope, thus the machine had sorted them to go to Sydney. When we pointed this out one of the full-time guys said, yeah happens all the time, we just go by the postcode. You must ignore the address.
Sydney of course did the same and the letters just went back and forth Apparently even if the staff see the word ROMANIA or whatever in large print they are allowed to ignore it!
Old Sep 5th 2017, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger that, I started at Post as a driver, with the end result of an aversion to city driving. Hence my love affair with public transport.

A walking round would be good though.
You could become one of those contractors. You know, the ones I catch filling out the "you weren't at home" form before they reach the front door.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Fulwood Preston causes real issues. We get lots of those at least 10 a week. I can only assume there is a Fulwood in Preston Lancashire as well as here.
There is mate. Presumably, someone posting a domestic letter in the UK wouldn't put country on the item, but it should have a UK postcode.

Last edited by Rhubarb65; Sep 5th 2017 at 9:26 am.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 10:36 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ozzie, can you tell me if there is any truth in this one -one of the Northgate sorters told me the best way to ensure manual sorting, and thus increase the chances of an item going to the right place, fast, is to use a red, orange or gold/silver shiny, envelope.
He reckoned the machines can't read them properly and so spit them out for manual sort.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: How long for UK to Aus mai

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Another tale from my sorting days...... some Eastern European countries, I forget which ones, have 4 digit postcodes.
We came across several letters where people had written the four digits in the boxes on the envelope, thus the machine had sorted them to go to Sydney. When we pointed this out one of the full-time guys said, yeah happens all the time, we just go by the postcode. You must ignore the address.
Sydney of course did the same and the letters just went back and forth Apparently even if the staff see the word ROMANIA or whatever in large print they are allowed to ignore it!
Yes that is the bain of my life, still happens now and that 'tude is nationwide.

The thing is occasionally you will see another country written on a letter that has the correct Australian postcode, that is rare of course but it does happen. The only way to stop this happening is to cross out the post code and altering letters is a bigger crime than misrouting them. I break the fundamental rule and cross out the post code. No one has ever been "Coded" for crossing out a post code, but neither has anyone been coded for following whats written on the letter and they are the official rules.

Bottom line first is the sorters mantra.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 5th 2017 at 12:33 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey Ozzie, can you tell me if there is any truth in this one -one of the Northgate sorters told me the best way to ensure manual sorting, and thus increase the chances of an item going to the right place, fast, is to use a red, orange or gold/silver shiny, envelope.
He reckoned the machines can't read them properly and so spit them out for manual sort.
True Although this new machine has the capacity to read lots of colours. Black envelope with white writing is the way to go.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 1:18 pm
Home and Happy

True Although this new machine has the capacity to read lots of colours. Black envelope with white writing is the way to go.
Perfect
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

I emailed Border and they have informed me that a letter may take 5-10 working days to reach us once it has arrived in Australia.

Royal Mail informed my wife that they continue to show 5-7 working days as they have not been informed by Auspost of any issues to provide a different guideline. Recently, Canada, Spain and Italy have informed them of issues that required a change in the target.

Anyway, it looks like the advice to rellies is to allow 4 weeks for delivery to be certain of an on-time birthday card.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

On the floor inside the machines ....(see Post 7 above!).

Had to laugh today - got a letter from HM Tax Office, dated 16th July.......marked please reply within 14 days. Oh how we laughed

Unfortunately no tracking number etc on it.
Pollyana, sign up to the Government Gateway https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/infor....faq.faqcom034 This is for registering if non resident. Once registered , and opting for online communication, you'll get an email from HMRC whenever they want to contact you telling you to log into your account. It works very well, I get all my tax codes, letters etc this way and avoids the you have 14 days to reply but the letter has arrived long after the 14 days has expired!
Old Sep 6th 2017, 9:50 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by quiltman
Pollyana, sign up to the Government Gateway https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/infor....faq.faqcom034 This is for registering if non resident. Once registered , and opting for online communication, you'll get an email from HMRC whenever they want to contact you telling you to log into your account. It works very well, I get all my tax codes, letters etc this way and avoids the you have 14 days to reply but the letter has arrived long after the 14 days has expired!
It wasn't for me, it was for a friend who is travelling and has been using my address. I don't have any dealings for which HMRC need to contact me. This was a one-off, I hope.
Personally, I can't create an account even to check my old NI/pension any longer as I have no UK address therefore it refuses to identify me!

However I don't accept that because that person could have created an account online that Aus Post has any excuse for taking so long to get the letter to us here.

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 6th 2017 at 9:56 am.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've ordered a package on Ebay which was posted yesterday in Darwin, we at work are expecting it should be delivered by Thursday or Friday of next week at the latest, even Wednesday, just a regular untracked surface brown packaged Item I'd say. If this happens then I'm going to try and do some personal tracking of items to Brisbane.

Btw I know you guys aren't going to believe this, but according to the propaganda electronic wall at work, Aus Post is now running at 91pct first time on time delivery on parcels. Got to say I don't believe it myself either, but that's what the figures are saying. Has anyone noticed the follow up Email tracking, they really are hell bent on maintaining this Amazon contract. They are spending millions of dollars on these trikes that take 3 times the amount of parcels they currently carry as well.

I'll try and get a photo of these figures next week. It flashes by in about 6 secs along with all the other propoganda.... Did you know that the two machines that put into Melbourne and Sydney cost 1 billion dollars.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 8th 2017 at 6:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.