Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long for UK to Aus mail?

How long for UK to Aus mail?

Old Aug 30th 2017, 9:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long for UK to Aus mail?

We are typically seeing 3 weeks for mail from UK to Aus (Melbourne), and about a week for Aus to UK. Is that what you are noticing, or is it just us?
Old Aug 30th 2017, 10:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long for UK to Aus mail?

Originally Posted by ebo1608
We are typically seeing 3 weeks for mail from UK to Aus (Melbourne), and about a week for Aus to UK. Is that what you are noticing, or is it just us?
Got three items yesterday, 2 letters and a small packet. The latter took 3 weeks, 1 letter took 3 weeks. The other took six weeks. In 14 years I've never known it this slow.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The piece of string is 6 inches long!

Oops - no, seriously, I'm not sure there is a hard and fast time frame at the moment. We generally allow 3 weeks for parcels and it's been thereabouts for quite some time now, cards 7-10 days. We sent the granddaughter's birthday present (for Saturday) at just under the 3 weeks hoping it would arrive on time but it got there 8 days ago so just 10 days this time. I think it's actually in inverse proportion to the urgency of the parcel - there's probably a mind reading machine which determines if it's urgent and important in which case it goes on the slow boat but if it's trivial and non urgent it's sent express!

I think Aus - UK is quite quick at the mo, our son often sends stuff that takes mere days to arrive
Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:20 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
The piece of string is 6 inches long!

Oops - no, seriously, I'm not sure there is a hard and fast time frame at the moment. We generally allow 3 weeks for parcels and it's been thereabouts for quite some time now, cards 7-10 days. We sent the granddaughter's birthday present (for Saturday) at just under the 3 weeks hoping it would arrive on time but it got there 8 days ago so just 10 days this time. I think it's actually in inverse proportion to the urgency of the parcel - there's probably a mind reading machine which determines if it's urgent and important in which case it goes on the slow boat but if it's trivial and non urgent it's sent express!

I think Aus - UK is quite quick at the mo, our son often sends stuff that takes mere days to arrive
Aus to UK seems about average at present 3-5 days.

The other way though, from the UK is truly dire. Like I said, I have never known it this bad. Over the years its been between 3 days and 2-3 weeks, but at present nothing seems to come through in under 3 weeks, even basic letters. Its been like this for about 2 months, driving ebay sellers up the wall.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in the UK for 2 years, my parcels and letters back to Perth take a minimum of 3 weeks. Delivery times for last year's Christmas cards were 4 to 8 weeks!
Old Aug 30th 2017, 12:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

In the past I've had stuff sent UK to Aus and it's arrived in 4/5 days. The same going the other way. Recently things are taking over a month. It's mad. No idea if it's Royal Mail or Aus Post but it pisses me off.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 12:28 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've been in the UK for 2 years, my parcels and letters back to Perth take a minimum of 3 weeks. Delivery times for last year's Christmas cards were 4 to 8 weeks!
I've had several periods when mail UK-Brisbane and back again only takes 3 days each way, thats like heaven. Trouble is that it doesn't last!

Did you hear my best story? When I first came here I worked as a casual at Northgate Sorting Office for Aus Post. Lots of automated sorting, and the machines have vertical conveyor belts to move the letters, the mail stays on them because of the speed they move. If the belts stop, the mail falls off - either into the right bin (by chance) the wrong bin, or just onto the floor. The priority, I was told,was to just get the belt going again, no time to retrieve mail, it would just stay where it had fallen. And the floor was well covered with envelopes. On Christmas Eve there was a catastrophic failure, we were told an engineer had to come out and it would mean hours offline. So they opened the doors and told us to retrieve the fallen mail.
One envelope was mine!! It was the last card I sent to my then fiance to say I had finally moved out of my flat, prior to emigrating. Posted on October 16th.
The only comment by our supervisor was - by glad its not in that one over there, that hasn't broken down for SIX YEARS.

Never trusted Aus Post since then, total lack of respect for any mail in their system, and total lack of care for the public who deal with them.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 12:43 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
In the past I've had stuff sent UK to Aus and it's arrived in 4/5 days. The same going the other way. Recently things are taking over a month. It's mad. No idea if it's Royal Mail or Aus Post but it pisses me off.
Feedback from fellow ebay sellers seems to indicate its largely the Aus Post end - things can get here in a few days but then take weeks to go round Australia. Similar to postage within Aus, selling something to WA from brisbane regularly takes 3-4 weeks and at present even the Gold Coast is 2-3 weeks to deliver. Thats letter-sized stuff, parcels can be even longer.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 9:41 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Australia Post are in a position to make a fortune with Ebay and Online shopping in General, but instead of offering a great service they are driving customers away. A bit like our local Fish and Chip shop that closes at 5pm.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure it is either Auspost or customs causing the delay.
My son ordered something from the UK and my husband something from Melbourne on the same afternoon. We are in Adelaide.
Sons parcel arrived by private courier in three days. Hubbies over two weeks after dispatch notice which in itself was three days after order.

Reacting to my surprise on receiving sons parcel so soon delivery man said. " well this isn't by Auspost!"

Wait till amazon gets here, bet they won't be using Auspost unless it gets better.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:31 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Pretty sure it is either Auspost or customs causing the delay.
Yep, if you happen to have tracking you can see when it leaves the UK. That's usually in the 3 day type timeframe. Then it hits customs / auspost and it both disappears, and slows to a crawl.

It'll never get better until it starts costs those two for their failure. Problem is, once they start trying to charge GST on all imports, it'll get worse.

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Reacting to my surprise on receiving sons parcel so soon delivery man said. " well this isn't by Auspost!"

Wait till amazon gets here, bet they won't be using Auspost unless it gets better.
Ozzie suggest he thinks auspost have the amazon contract. I hope to hell he's wrong - because they are useless enough as it is.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 3:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

So Auspost is the bottleneck? Wife got so fed-up with her latest birthday cards arriving late she has complained to RM. Looking forward to seeing what they say.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 4:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
So Auspost is the bottleneck? Wife got so fed-up with her latest birthday cards arriving late she has complained to RM. Looking forward to seeing what they say.
Actually I'd guess it's the customs lot. Sure auspost don't help, but customs, and particularly sydney customs, seems to be the common element. Couriers pay for faster customs clearance, which is why they can get parcels through in hours. Auspost things just get thrown in a queue, which one of these muppets might eventually get round to.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My guess is Australia Post, or something on the Australian side. I'm in NZ now and in the last few months have had quite a lot of mail sent from the UK - it arrives in less than a week, in some cases a couple of days. (Ordered Tue evening and arrived on Fri)

When I lived in Australia it seem to take weeks, even mail from NZ took a couple of weeks.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Just as bad here! Philpost is rubbish. Mail from UK gets to Manila within 4/5 days then can take weeks to travel the last 400 miles to Cebu , ( maybe not at all if it looks like it may contain something of value!) then will sit in the PO until you go get it. No indication anythings arrived unless you have an "agreement" with the post master to text you! We have 2 posties for 300,000 people in our town so really only business mail gets delivered. We are lucky in that one of our subdivision guards visit the PO daily and then distributes any mail to the appropriate house. To UK can take from 10 days to weeks. anything valuable or important we always send by courier which takes 4/5 days but does at least get there!The utility companies physically deliver the bills to your property otherwise they would never get paid due to "I never got a bill" syndrome. My bank also delivers statements by hand!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.