Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long for UK to Aus mail?

How long for UK to Aus mail?

Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long for UK to Aus mail?

It's customs

As for the stuff that takes a couple of weeks, without being patronising, make sure your post code is very very clear. If the machine misreads it, it will go on a 6000K journey in some cases.

Post Codes take precedence over everything else you put on your envelope. So you could have Bank of Melbourne Head office, Collins St, Melbourne 3000, if that post code gets misread as a 6000 despite the obvious address, it will go to Perth.

We see dozens of these everyday, just a little quirky curl on the first digit of the post code stuffs a lot of deliveries.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 4th 2017 at 1:13 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's customs

As for the stuff that takes a couple of weeks, without being patronising, make sure your post code is very very clear. If the machine misreads it, it will go on a 6000K journey in some cases.

Post Codes take precedence over everything else you put on your envelope. So you could have Bank of Melbourne Head office, Collins St, Melbourne 3000, if that post code gets misread as a 6000 despite the obvious address, it will go to Perth.

We see dozens of these everyday, just a little quirky curl on the first digit of the post code stuffs a lot of deliveries.
And when simple envelopes, clearly and correctly addressed takes over a month to travel from Northampton UK to Gold Coast Aus? No one will shoot or arrest you if you admit that Aus Post are crap.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And when simple envelopes, clearly and correctly addressed takes over a month to travel from Northampton UK to Gold Coast Aus? No one will shoot or arrest you if you admit that Aus Post are crap.

To be honest problem I have with this is I've never seen it myself. I only see 10 day old post codes at the most. I do random observations for my own benefit frequently.

Not sure how this can be possible given the feedback.

Did that particular letter have a sea mail sticker, or was minus a airmail sticker. 4 weeks being the surface mail time generally ? It feels to me without being able to decipher the barcodes that it's come surface mail for some reason.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 4th 2017 at 3:24 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 6:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest problem I have with this is I've never seen it myself. I only see 10 day old post codes at the most. I do random observations for my own benefit frequently.

Not sure how this can be possible given the feedback.

Did that particular letter have a sea mail sticker, or was minus a airmail sticker. 4 weeks being the surface mail time generally ? It feels to me without being able to decipher the barcodes that it's come surface mail for some reason.
I'm not talking about A letter. I'm talking abut 3-4 packets and at least two letter/cards per fortnight, All clearly addressed with postcodes as I was taught as a kid
They all turn up eventually, air mail stickers and all, but the time delay is constant and is horrific.

Had one from Lloyds a couple of weeks back, it took 6 weeks from the UK. I Had to send a paper reply but that only took three days to get back to the UK as they emailed me a thank you when they got it!

Its as bad domestic as well - along with several other ebayers in Brisbane we warn west coast buyers that they need to allow 3-4 weeks for envelopes to arrive. Not parcels, just postcard sized envelopes. Maybe those are going by seamail too.......
Old Sep 4th 2017, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm not talking about A letter. I'm talking abut 3-4 packets and at least two letter/cards per fortnight, All clearly addressed with postcodes as I was taught as a kid
They all turn up eventually, air mail stickers and all, but the time delay is constant and is horrific.

Had one from Lloyds a couple of weeks back, it took 6 weeks from the UK. I Had to send a paper reply but that only took three days to get back to the UK as they emailed me a thank you when they got it!

Its as bad domestic as well - along with several other ebayers in Brisbane we warn west coast buyers that they need to allow 3-4 weeks for envelopes to arrive. Not parcels, just postcard sized envelopes. Maybe those are going by seamail too.......

I've got no idea where they could be going then, believe it or not Aus Post does not store mail. They turn around everything they get in their mail centres within 24 hours, the rest has to be in transit somewhere. IE: processed within 24 hours and transit for the rest of the time. It has to be customs with the international mail at least.

Can you imagine the mountain of mail there would be if they stored it for 4 weeks?

There seems to be one hell of a gap from what I see and what others are seeing. I do know one thing, they definitely do not store it at Mail centres anywhere around the country..... Parcel centres admittedly could be a different story... I'm not so sure on those. Mail 100 pct is cleared through the mail centres in 24 hours. Whether it gets cleared correctly or not could be an issue.... Doubt it to that extent though.

I reckon it's worth sending a private tracker through the post from Brisbane now. If that mail had one of the hidden electronic KPMG trackers that we get dozens of every day, then mysteriously it would turn up on time, as do all the KPMG trackers we normally get reports on (well 98.5 pct are the official figures from KPMG) . Hence a private tracker could really be a good idea.

KPMG send out 100's of electronically tracked items through Aus Post nationwide every day and do random audits on top

https://home.kpmg.com/au/en/home/about.html

I'm now wondering what the hell is going on, how can KPMG's electronics and what I see be so different to what I read on here. Every Transport hub, every Mail Centre, every parcel center has electronic RFID's fitted at entry and exit points just to track this KPMG stuff . Those 1.5 pct that are missed have to be explained, it happens to us now and again, "What happened to this particular item, why did it get delayed?, explain why it missed the pick up/interchange at YOUR facility" If you saw how seriously they take these things you'd be amazed. Especially in light of the feedback on here.

Send a private tracker someone please !!!

Plus where is this mail, it can't all be on the road, it's definitely not in the mail centres.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 4th 2017 at 10:42 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 2:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like wife's card from her dad has arrived, at last!

Birthday is 19th, stamped 12th (do you get more optimistic as you get older?). There's another time code on it: DLC996-1, 07:56, 04/09/2017 - Australian?

Anyway, took just over 3 weeks from Bradford to Melbourne.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Looks like wife's card from her dad has arrived, at last!

Birthday is 19th, stamped 12th (do you get more optimistic as you get older?). There's another time code on it: DLC996-1, 07:56, 04/09/2017 - Australian?

Anyway, took just over 3 weeks from Bradford to Melbourne.

Exactly what I wanted.... That DLC996 is when it finally hit Dandenong Letter Center Flat bed Machine 996-1, which was at 7.56am on the 4/09/2017.... before then it was en route to Dandenong. Which means it has been in Customs hands for around 3 weeks before it got to Aus Post. So after first process by Aus Post it's got to you in one day.

Those black and/or orange or yellow bar tagged with black printed codes are the key to finding out where this mail has been or which route it takes. All letters have them or should have them now.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 5th 2017 at 2:46 am.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 3:13 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

If I were a cynic (if) then I'd guess that the customs lot were looking to create a two tier service. Those companies that pay up to the GST extortion racket get swift parcel clearance. Those that don't get stuck in a big pile with Bert sending out threatening letters to the individuals that ordered, demanding money or you'll never see your property again.

The pathetic speed slowdown seems to be coincident with when the GST on imports rort was supposed to be implemented originally.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 4:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

How long does customs take to check a birthday card?
Old Sep 5th 2017, 4:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've got no idea where they could be going then, believe it or not Aus Post does not store mail. They turn around everything they get in their mail centres within 24 hours, the rest has to be in transit somewhere. IE: processed within 24 hours and transit for the rest of the time. It has to be customs with the international mail at least.

Can you imagine the mountain of mail there would be if they stored it for 4 weeks?

There seems to be one hell of a gap from what I see and what others are seeing. I do know one thing, they definitely do not store it at Mail centres anywhere around the country..... Parcel centres admittedly could be a different story... I'm not so sure on those. Mail 100 pct is cleared through the mail centres in 24 hours. Whether it gets cleared correctly or not could be an issue.... Doubt it to that extent though.

I reckon it's worth sending a private tracker through the post from Brisbane now. If that mail had one of the hidden electronic KPMG trackers that we get dozens of every day, then mysteriously it would turn up on time, as do all the KPMG trackers we normally get reports on (well 98.5 pct are the official figures from KPMG) . Hence a private tracker could really be a good idea.

KPMG send out 100's of electronically tracked items through Aus Post nationwide every day and do random audits on top

https://home.kpmg.com/au/en/home/about.html

I'm now wondering what the hell is going on, how can KPMG's electronics and what I see be so different to what I read on here. Every Transport hub, every Mail Centre, every parcel center has electronic RFID's fitted at entry and exit points just to track this KPMG stuff . Those 1.5 pct that are missed have to be explained, it happens to us now and again, "What happened to this particular item, why did it get delayed?, explain why it missed the pick up/interchange at YOUR facility" If you saw how seriously they take these things you'd be amazed. Especially in light of the feedback on here.

Send a private tracker someone please !!!

Plus where is this mail, it can't all be on the road, it's definitely not in the mail centres.
On the floor inside the machines ....(see Post 7 above!).

Had to laugh today - got a letter from HM Tax Office, dated 16th July.......marked please reply within 14 days. Oh how we laughed

Unfortunately no tracking number etc on it.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

It's customs

There's a thread on automation somewhere. Its supposed to be a job killer.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
On the floor inside the machines ....(see Post 7 above!).

Had to laugh today - got a letter from HM Tax Office, dated 16th July.......marked please reply within 14 days. Oh how we laughed

Unfortunately no tracking number etc on it.
No excuse for that at all, I'd be amazed if similar doesn't happen with all mail services though. Aus Post bought those machines from overseas so they will be in use in other countries.

Comes under that 1.5 pct failure, Plus I guarantee, for every one of those letters in that machine there would 1,000 plus letters with no addresses on them or totally undeliverable addresses. All of which the mail sender will blame their local mail service for not delivering.

We see most of those bad addresses, as we end up with the hand sorted 3 pct of letters that cannot be machine sorted. That's the main part of my job. Non Machinable mail. We get 100's of badly addressed letters per day. Some only have names on them, no streets, no numbers, wrong countries, or just Preston Australia.... There are 5 Prestons in Australia. We even get them for the Preston in the UK on a daily basis, sent from the Royal Mail themselves.

Fulwood Preston causes real issues. We get lots of those at least 10 a week. I can only assume there is a Fulwood in Preston Lancashire as well as here.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The last few I've had from the UK don't even have a UK frank on them, let alone an Aus track. I was going to remove the stamps until I realised I wouldn't be able to use them.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz

There's a thread on automation somewhere. Its supposed to be a job killer.

Got my figures and paperwork, just waiting for the final form to sign, 70 of us night sorters going out of 230 in Melbourne. Uptil they implemented this final stage we all were told there would be no more night shift at all and were either going to take voluntary redundancies or be relocated to other positions within post.... Drivers, Posties (walking) or in the Parcels division......This final stage has been 3 years in the planning and implementation..... they've re thought that no night shift position.

It's the nonmachinable mail that's keeping us in a job..... Missorts mostly.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 5th 2017 at 6:06 am.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
The last few I've had from the UK don't even have a UK frank on them, let alone an Aus track. I was going to remove the stamps until I realised I wouldn't be able to use them.
There should be a barcode on it, it's how it gets through the machine.

Some of them are really faint, like a very light pink or orange colour. Once that barcode is stamped on it by a machine that's where that letter goes, regardless of the address until it reaches the Postie who handsorts the final part on his round..... Thats going to come bundled within the next 3 years, so there will be even more missorts I reckon. The only chance the Postie will have to see that is as he is putting into the letter box and if it's in the middle of 3 letters no chance.

Not to mention that Austria has "3000" post codes as well as does New Zealand so we get plenty of their mail as well.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 5th 2017 at 6:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.