Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long commuting in Oz?

How long commuting in Oz?

Old Nov 18th 2003, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hubby - 50kms each way 35 mins there and back but this is not peak hour

Me - 30Kms each way - 40 mins there and 30-35mins back peak hour.

Di
Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long commuting in Oz?

Originally posted by renth
It takes me between 1.15 and 1.30 to get to work and 1.30 and 1.45 to get home.

It's 2 busses and a train. Clean and cheap but too long.

I'm going out to get a big 4 litre gas guzzling Falcon wagon at the weekend so I can get to work in 35 minutes instead.

Also so I can go windsurfing on the Swan river after work.
I can see how windsurfing would lend itself to a wagon. If your a hoon like me and you buy a big car make sure it's rwd like the falcon. Magnas sound nice but are soo heavy the fwd struggles to get grip.

I've been drifting the 180KW BA falcon (auto sadly) recently as it's a work car but ace fun

Are you going for a gas conversion, why not get an old commodore SS with gas conv?

Have you seen Dr. Karl's stuff about his V8 days on the triple J site. Love that dude
Old Nov 19th 2003, 7:53 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Pete, its $5.80 return, $22.90/week, $91.60/month, $251.70/quarter, $480.50/half year, $915.20/year.

I'll say that again.

Thats very cheap! My 30 minute ride on a train into london cost me £1300 a year!!
Old Nov 19th 2003, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

10 minutes if I leave late and the traffic is bad.

(Live in Parkside which is just beyond the Eastern Parklands of Adelaide and work in the City.)

Old Nov 19th 2003, 11:35 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Drive to train Station - 10 mins max in rush hour (hubby drops on way to work) - train every 5 mins about 8.10 to 8.40, train time max 9 mins - walk to work 150 m! Kids on school bus - 200 m from door 8.05 in morning. Train fare $22 per week, if hubby did not drop and pick up another $24 on bus fares.

I am in commuter heaven, I used to live near Reading and left daughter at school 1.5 miles up the road and drive back in most mornings I spent 40 mins driving 5 miles to Reading centre and could take as much as an hour on a good day. I did actually read a book in the car while driving. Now I read on train and get to chat to husband in car. Nah seriously - we don't talk that much - listen to triple M radio!

Cheers
Old Nov 19th 2003, 11:48 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I am PRAYING for an easier commute than the one i had when i worked in London. I actually liked my job in London, just hated getting there and back. It was a 20 minute walk to the station, then a 30-45 minute train ride, which honestly, was rarely on time, and then a 35 minute walk. I could get the tube intead of the last walk, but it was rarely quicker.

Don't know if i'll get an easier commute....put heres to hoping!!
Old Nov 19th 2003, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

For me its not the length of the commute but the hassle and grief of the journey.

An hour's commute I can handle on a lovely day when public transport runs to time, but in London its the constant late trains/buses, overcrowding and rudeness of people that winds me up.

So I will wait and see how bad it is in Sydney and then decide where to live/work.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 12:32 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

I experienced a few ways of commuting in Sydney.

A few years back I lived in Manly and used to drive to work in Crows Nest. Not a huge drive but pretty heavy traffic jams, easily comparable with Bristol where I lived prior to that particular stay in Australia.

For a while we lived in Mosman Bay and used to get the ferry to the city (25 minutes) followed by a 20 minute walk from Circular Quay to my office. The novelty of a packed and stifling ferry with plastic seats followed by a sweaty walk soon wore off once summer proper kicked in!

Later we moved to North Sydney, a location we chose purely and simply to make for easy commuting for both my wife and I. From there it was 10 minute walk to the station, 10 minutes on a train and 5 minute walk at the other end for me. The trains were invariably pretty packed with commuters, which was OK when the aircon was operational, but fairly frequently a mobile sauna would pull into the station! My wife used to drive to work away from the city (in North Ryde) but still regularly got stuck in some horrendous jams.

In general I found the public transport commute in Sydney to be a lot more relaxed than in London. I found that I did not really need my Walkman/book/newspaper distractions to try to escape from my surroundings quite as much as in London! Generally the trains are better (double deckers so less standing/crowding), the platforms are less crowded, people do strange things like chatting to each other without being branded as lunatics and most trains have aircon. Trains later in the evening are no different to the UK - full of drunken people behaving badly. In fact, I found the late night trains in Sydney to be worse than in London and on one occasion I was attached by drunken tramp whilst people just looked the other way. Luckily for me he was so drunk that when I shoved him away he fell down a gap between seats where he shouted obscenities but was unable to get up.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Herman
I experienced a few ways of commuting in Sydney.

A few years back I lived in Manly and used to drive to work in Crows Nest. Not a huge drive but pretty heavy traffic jams, easily comparable with Bristol where I lived prior to that particular stay in Australia.

For a while we lived in Mosman Bay and used to get the ferry to the city (25 minutes) followed by a 20 minute walk from Circular Quay to my office. The novelty of a packed and stifling ferry with plastic seats followed by a sweaty walk soon wore off once summer proper kicked in!

Later we moved to North Sydney, a location we chose purely and simply to make for easy commuting for both my wife and I. From there it was 10 minute walk to the station, 10 minutes on a train and 5 minute walk at the other end for me. The trains were invariably pretty packed with commuters, which was OK when the aircon was operational, but fairly frequently a mobile sauna would pull into the station! My wife used to drive to work away from the city (in North Ryde) but still regularly got stuck in some horrendous jams.

In general I found the public transport commute in Sydney to be a lot more relaxed than in London. I found that I did not really need my Walkman/book/newspaper distractions to try to escape from my surroundings quite as much as in London! Generally the trains are better (double deckers so less standing/crowding), the platforms are less crowded, people do strange things like chatting to each other without being branded as lunatics and most trains have aircon. Trains later in the evening are no different to the UK - full of drunken people behaving badly. In fact, I found the late night trains in Sydney to be worse than in London and on one occasion I was attached by drunken tramp whilst people just looked the other way. Luckily for me he was so drunk that when I shoved him away he fell down a gap between seats where he shouted obscenities but was unable to get up.
Where abouts in North Sydney did you live? Would you recommend any areas as that is where we are thinking of moving to.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 7:11 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sjn2003
Where abouts in North Sydney did you live? Would you recommend any areas as that is where we are thinking of moving to.
North Sydney is a great location because you can walk to the city in 45 minutes across the bridge and the train frequencies are superb. However, a word of caution - its sandwiched between the Pacific Highway (fairly busy) and the very noisy Freeway which runs over the harbour bridge. There are some quieter residential side roads off Miller Street, towards the top of North Sydney near the Oval, which are the place to be. We were on the top floor of a very high apartment block, which helped with the traffic noise.
I would also highly recommend the neighbouring suburb of Waverton. It only has half the trains of North Sydney, so you may have to wait up to 10 minutes on the platform in the morning, but it has some great properties, a nice park/reserve (Balls Head - one of those great Sydney shoreline secret spots) and a nice little village centre with a few decent coffee shops/restuarants. If we had decided to stay in Sydney, we probably would have tried to find somewhere in Waverton within our budget (a small 3 bed townhouse = $700k+).
Also look at Crows Nest - it has some nice pockets of residential housing and has a fantastic restaurant strip where the curries will make you never want to eat another British curry again (we are currently suffering from Crows Nest curry withdrawal syndrome!).
Old Nov 19th 2003, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

Around 20 minutes.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 8:54 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Herman
North Sydney is a great location because you can walk to the city in 45 minutes across the bridge and the train frequencies are superb. However, a word of caution - its sandwiched between the Pacific Highway (fairly busy) and the very noisy Freeway which runs over the harbour bridge. There are some quieter residential side roads off Miller Street, towards the top of North Sydney near the Oval, which are the place to be. We were on the top floor of a very high apartment block, which helped with the traffic noise.
I would also highly recommend the neighbouring suburb of Waverton. It only has half the trains of North Sydney, so you may have to wait up to 10 minutes on the platform in the morning, but it has some great properties, a nice park/reserve (Balls Head - one of those great Sydney shoreline secret spots) and a nice little village centre with a few decent coffee shops/restuarants. If we had decided to stay in Sydney, we probably would have tried to find somewhere in Waverton within our budget (a small 3 bed townhouse = $700k+).
Also look at Crows Nest - it has some nice pockets of residential housing and has a fantastic restaurant strip where the curries will make you never want to eat another British curry again (we are currently suffering from Crows Nest curry withdrawal syndrome!).
Add a several hundred thousand to that figure now.
Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:07 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
Add a several hundred thousand to that figure now.
Easily - one of the people I have working with me has just sold a 3 bed weatherboard cladded cottage in Alambie Heights (next to Manly) for $696K. The half-brick houses in the area are up for $750K+ Go into Manly and you're looking at $1M+
Old Nov 19th 2003, 9:13 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Another point to add is double those times for drivers if a thunderstorm hits. After hot weather the heavy rain turns the roads into ice rinks and there is carnage.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

gunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the rough

25 minutes one way in light traffic, but peak hours double it up!!!!
I am in Melbourne and i travel on Princes Highway most of the time.

gunitm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.