Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How good is a temporary address as a proof of address?

How good is a temporary address as a proof of address?

Old Jun 18th 2010, 8:30 am
Enjoying living in Perth

luis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura about
Default How good is a temporary address as a proof of address?

Hi there,

In this site http://www.stayz.com.au/ I found a few 1-bed flats to rent close to Perth city centre that would be ideal for us. To get the best rate ($80 per night) we are planning to rent one for 4 weeks. That would give us plenty of time to explore Perth and find the ideal place to rent permanently instead of rushing into the first we can find.

And as many probably do, the first things I want to do in Oz is to get an australian driving license, buy a car, register for medicare etc. As you need a proof of address to do most of those things, would a temporary address be acceptable? Or do you need a long-term lease for that?

Thanks!
Luis
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How good is a temporary address as a proof of address?

A temporary address is fine. You just change it when you move on.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:14 am
Enjoying living in Perth

luis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura about

Hi Lesley

Thanks for the reply! I am still a bit confused though...

I found this in the WA Tranport Dept website http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/y..._and_residency

If one of the documents that you give us for your proof of identity has your WA address on it, you have already satisfied our proof of residency requirements. If not, you can use other documents that have your WA address on them to prove your residency. Examples would be a house rental agreement, a council rate notice or a bank statement. A place of employment cannot be used as a residential address.

I also found this in the Medicare website http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...orm_011005.pdf

Residency documents:
- Rental contract (for a period not less than 6 months) with eletricity, gas or telephone accounts on the same name.
For the driving license it is not clear whether a short term rental agreement would be acceptable or not, but it seems that for Medicare it would not...

Do you think that despite of that we will be able to register with them?

Thanks
Luis
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luis_be
Hi Lesley

Thanks for the reply! I am still a bit confused though...

I found this in the WA Tranport Dept website http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/y..._and_residency

I also found this in the Medicare website http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...orm_011005.pdf

For the driving license it is not clear whether a short term rental agreement would be acceptable or not, but it seems that for Medicare it would not...

Do you think that despite of that we will be able to register with them?

Thanks
Luis
A short term address is an address. It is your address in Australia, so use it for things like opening bank accounts, driving licence, medicare, etc. As has been said, change it once you have a permanent address.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Temporary address is definitely fine. We used it for TFN, Medicare, driver's licence, library (and probably a few others I've forgotten).

You do want to get your driver's licence asap, because there are so many places wanting to see photo ID and driver's licence is perfect.

It is very easy to change them all over to a new address: For TFN there is a form (or you can phone them if you don't mind hanging on in a queue); Medicare you just phone the no on the back of the card; in WA you can change driver's licence address online; for our library you phone them.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:16 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Temporary address is definitely fine. We used it for TFN, Medicare, driver's licence, library (and probably a few others I've forgotten).

You do want to get your driver's licence asap, because there are so many places wanting to see photo ID and driver's licence is perfect.

It is very easy to change them all over to a new address: For TFN there is a form (or you can phone them if you don't mind hanging on in a queue); Medicare you just phone the no on the back of the card; in WA you can change driver's licence address online; for our library you phone them.
I'd actually suggest NOT getting the driving licence swapped over till you get your more permanent address. Your passport will work fine for photo ID and you have three months to get the driving licence sorted.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
I'd actually suggest NOT getting the driving licence swapped over till you get your more permanent address. Your passport will work fine for photo ID and you have three months to get the driving licence sorted.
Why's that? We were planning to do that.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:02 pm
Enjoying living in Perth

Hi Garry,

Maybe that is the case in other states, but in WA you have three months from the date you are granted the visa (not from you arrive there) to change your license... at least that is what they say in their website:

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourlicence/1363.asp

I am also interested to know why you think that.

Thanks!
Luis
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Why's that? We were planning to do that.
I'm curious too. A driver's license is great ID. It's government issue and has your address on it.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:36 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

In QLD you have to pay to change the address on the licence but I can't find how much it is, not enough to worry about I wouldn't have thought.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
In QLD you have to pay to change the address on the licence but I can't find how much it is, not enough to worry about I wouldn't have thought.
I didn't Just changed it online for free and they sent me a new sticker to put on the back of the licence.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:48 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
I didn't Just changed it online for free and they sent me a new sticker to put on the back of the licence.
OK, thought I'd seen it on their site. Happy to be proved wrong
Old Jun 18th 2010, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
That's good to know.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:11 am
Just Joined

BritishIGuess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luis_be
Hi there,

In this site http://www.stayz.com.au/ I found a few 1-bed flats to rent close to Perth city centre that would be ideal for us. To get the best rate ($80 per night) we are planning to rent one for 4 weeks. That would give us plenty of time to explore Perth and find the ideal place to rent permanently instead of rushing into the first we can find.

And as many probably do, the first things I want to do in Oz is to get an australian driving license, buy a car, register for medicare etc. As you need a proof of address to do most of those things, would a temporary address be acceptable? Or do you need a long-term lease for that?

Thanks!
Luis
Hi I live in Australia and have a bit of experience with this as all of mine was gotten while in a temporary address that I was living in for less than a month - I was in the process of moving to another temporary address - (be wary of cowboy landlords - even the "big boys" so to speak are shocking out here), and had no problems sorting out things like medicare, driving license, buying a car - In most cases it is sorted out on the spot - I think the medicare they post to you though, I did mine six years ago so can't remember, but DL and and buying a car are all done on the spot

Wish Britain was that easy
Old Jun 19th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you want to carry your passport around everyday??? Driver's licence is credit-card sized and much more convenient, because it also has your address on it as well.

And - at least here in WA - you can change the address online. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes. They then send you the new address sticker in the post .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.